Tone match and IR capture of head and cab

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello, this is a multi part question on the best method to tone match my modded JCM 2204, and shooting an IR of the custom ported 4x12 Eminence Delta Pro 12A loaded cab I use it with. I have access to a studio with a good selection of mics, Neve preamps and an engineer to help me. I have read the manual and think I understand the process, but want to make sure I do it the best way possible. I’m only trying to replicate one sound.

1) For accuracy’s sake, should I tone match the amp first, then use that new tone matched amp in the Axe 3 as the tone source for the IR?

2) I’m assuming the IR capture method 2 using a load box/DI will yield the best/most accurate results, is this correct? I will be using a Matrix amp and Cab Lab for the IR capture.

3) Does anyone have a recommendation for mics or a combination of mics for my cab? The Eminence Delta Pro’s are fairly flat from 52 to 4.5K and it is ported/tuned to be flat from 70 on up. Should I try a single full range, flat type mic or shoot multiple mics covering different frequency ranges?

4) How does each user shot IR interact with the available parameters in the Cab Block? When shooting an IR, should one try to position the mic the same distance as the shortest mic distance available in the Cab Block mic distance parameter, so as to take advantage of the adjustability? What about the other parameters in the Preamp page and Room/Air pages?

Last edited:
Any help will be appreciated, especially the practical kind from anybody who has attempted to tone match a modded amp and custom cabinet. I can’t be the only one.

Ok, so after reading the tone match mini manual a 3rd time, I see it says to do an IR of the cabinet you are using first. I read this before but because the manual is from the AX2, I didn’t read it as carefully as I should’ve, thinking it was just a place holder for a rapidly evolving product and might be updated any day...

I don’t want to blunder around on expensive (relatively) studio time. Please feel free to answer the individual questions if you can. Thanks!

I have zero experience with tone matching or creating an IR but have thoughts on questions 3 and 4.

3. Choose whichever mic(s) gives you the results you want or like when using the actual cab, live or recorded. If multiple mics at the same time give you the tone you're wanting then use them.

4. Place the mic at a position that creates the tone you're wanting from the IR. 'Back' and 'Room' IRs can be manipulated with the parameters in the Cab Block just like "regular" IRs, so there doesn't appear to be any logic or benefit to placing the mic at the shortest distance.

Ok, I just found the Axe 3 Tone Match mini manual, and realized both it and the Axe 2 mini manual say: “When matching a real amp it is recommended to capture its speaker first if possible, then use Tone Match to close the gap.”

So now if I understand everything correctly, I need to create an IR of the custom cabinet first, so I can have it in the reference preset for the tone matching. Is this the best method to make sure I achieve the best tone match?

And if I need to shoot an IR of the custom cabinet first, I’m trying to figure out if using IR capture method 2 using the X Load LB2 with a Matrix power amp is going to get me a best result. Does anyone have an opinion on whether IR capture with a Matrix or similar neutral amp and an LB2 is the best way to create an IR?

I stopped using a cab block altogether tone matching. The tone match block replaces the cab block and the results are exactly the same to my ears. For those of you not using tone match, it is extremely easy and one of the very best features on the Axe.

I stopped using a cab block altogether tone matching. The tone match block replaces the cab block and the results are exactly the same to my ears. For those of you not using tone match, it is extremely easy and one of the very best features on the Axe.

This is very helpful, thanks.

Do you use the X Load LB2, or a similar load box with a DI when tone matching? If not can you please explain your method in detail?

Using a load box for amp matching is far superior IMO, as it lets you run your head through any IR you like, rather than be stuck with a static amp/cab/mic setting.

I've had no issue using the Mic only method with my Matrix GT800FX to create IR's.

Hi Leon, thanks for the video, very helpful. I looked for your video on using the LB2, but couldn’t find it. Have you made it yet? If so, where can I find it?

Back
Top Bottom