To Dyna or not

GuyJames

Inspired
Without digging too deep into tweaking dyna cabs I haven't got better results than the IR's I've been using. Just wondering if at best I'm just going to tweak them to sound like the IR's I'm using which already seem to do the trick for me. Of course we don't know what we don't know so maybe it's worth pursuing? In your experience has dyna cabs replaced you IR's?

I kind of just want to uninstall them if it's possible because it doesn't lengthen the start up time of the FM9 it seems.

They're a part of the current firmware, and will likely remain a part of every future firmware. So you can resign yourself to sticking to the previous firmware forever, or just grab a glass of water when you power on your unit.

Dynacabs are many IRs shot very consistently with a full choice of positions, auto impedance, and zero phase issues for mixing IRs. Your favorite IRs of the past are still going to kick ass. But maybe as time goes on and you mess around with the Dynacab here and there, you'll become accustomed to choosing and positioning mic/cab combos and end up with yet another powerful tone shaping tool at your disposal. Or maybe it is a distraction for you, and your old favorite IRs that are great, and will continue to be great, will serve you better.

I've come up with a couple good tones with the dynacabs. I've also settled on some of my old favorite IRs because they have the right flavor. Just tools in the toolbox.

I'll be recording an EP in the next few months, and plan on reamping the guitars in context with the rest of the instrumentation. I bet having the dynacabs available might help with finding the perfect tone that allows the guitars to sit in the mix with minimal post-processing.

Last edited:
I’ve yet to get Dyna Cabs to do what I want for my use but the project I have cued up will likely benefit as I want the top end bite they Dyna Cabs bring. I’ve been wanting that bite for ever, just so happens that this project doesn’t call for that tone.

My “gripe” if there is one, is the 4x12 selection. The 1960 sounds good, the 5153 is good as is the Recto but the other 4x12s (to me) are kinda useless.

Not possible... And if you somehow managed, the firmware would complain and fail to initialize thus making your boot time even longer ;)
When I upgraded my FM3 to it's current FW and had to reboot after the install it just flashed a message letting me know that Dynacabs weren't installed and still had the shorter boot time. Assuming the FM9 works similarly, what if he reset the FW w/o the Dynacabs? On the FM3 there are two separate files, one for FW and one for Dynacabs. Or is the FM9 different?

When I upgraded my FM3 to it's current FW and had to reboot after the install it just flashed a message letting me know that Dynacabs weren't installed and still had the shorter boot time. Assuming the FM9 works similarly, what if he reset the FW w/o the Dynacabs? On the FM3 there are two separate files, one for FW and one for Dynacabs. Or is the FM9 different?
If they are installed, there's no way I'm aware to have them uninstalled, aside from rolling back to a firmware before DynaCabs that doesn't load them. They are still there.

If they are installed, there's no way I'm aware to have them uninstalled, aside from rolling back to a firmware before DynaCabs that doesn't load them. They are still there.
So he could roll back to any previous FW w/o Dyna and then update to the current FW and just not install them. My FM3 worked fine w/o them, there's just an annoying message that will pop up every boot letting you know they're not installed. At least it's worth a shot if that's what he wants. Maybe he could post a wish to disable the notification.

So he could roll back to any previous FW w/o Dyna and then update to the current FW and just not install them. My FM3 worked fine w/o them, there's just an annoying message that will pop up every boot letting you know they're not installed. At least it's worth a shot if that's what he wants. Maybe he could post a wish to disable the notification.
No. They are already installed.

Older firmware doesn't know about them so it doesn't care...

Current firmware going forward is going to see them as installed.

I wonder though, could Fractal make available a "null" Dynacab file to overwrite it once installed. I'm not a programmer so I hope I'm making sense.

I only had my FM9 for a short period before Dyna Cabs were added. And I had only tried the built in IRs (so no cab packs). But personally, Dyna Cabs sound better to me with just about any amp I've tried. It's hard to describe, but they just sound livelier and clearer to me. It seems like a lot of people who've used IRs for a while tend to prefer that sound, which is totally understandable.

I only had my FM9 for a short period before Dyna Cabs were added. And I had only tried the built in IRs (so no cab packs). But personally, Dyna Cabs sound better to me with just about any amp I've tried. It's hard to describe, but they just sound livelier and clearer to me. It seems like a lot of people who've used IRs for a while tend to prefer that sound, which is totally understandable.
You have a good perspective since it’s totally unbiased to any IR you’ve grown accustomed toz

I wonder though, could Fractal make available a "null" Dynacab file to overwrite it once installed. I'm not a programmer so I hope I'm making sense.
As a programmer, that'd be a horrible solution that in the longer run would have dire consequences, support issues least of all.

I just timed the additional boot time on my FM3-Mk 1, and it's ~13 seconds to load Dyna-Cabs, and ~14 seconds to expand them. 27-ish seconds total?

Okay, so the installation is basically a one-way street and even if a non-compatible FW is installed the Dynacabs are still there. Thanks.
Yes. Fractal designed the system a long time ago, and that included some space for unknown future expansions, such as Dyna-Cabs. The space they occupy is now allocated to them and won't be used for anything else, so, whether someone loads the Dyna-Cabs or not, that space won't be available for something/anything else.

It took me a while to warm up to Dyna Cabs. I get it.

Finding the right IR, or mix of IRs, can take loads of time to arrive at (at least for me it can). When you do finally get there, that tends to set a pretty high bar. At first I couldn't get Dyna Cabs to sound even close to what my preferred IRs were giving me.

I spent some time A/B-ing cab block channels between my IR selections and Dyna Cabs. After digging a little deeper and experimenting with the Cab & Preamp pages inside the (Dyna) cab channel, I was eventually able to get fairly close to replicating what the commercial IR combo was doing. Except with what I can only describe as better clarity. Which is the one thing I find most striking about DC in general: They're just so crystal clear and articulate. I've never had any commercial IRs sound like they can sound.

Dyna Cabs remind me of what my Two Notes Torpedo Cab wishes it could have been. Concept wise, their proprietary IRs were very similar to Dyna Cabs, but Dyna Cabs deliver so much more clarity, control and sonic detail (and it was part of a free firmware update no less). Price some of the Two Notes products if you haven't for some additional perspective. The addition of Dyna Cabs is an incredible step forward. I'm curious to see if they'll add more cab choices, or mic types. I have no idea, but none of this means you shouldn't use your preferred IR(s) if that's how you want to roll. There are plenty FM9 features I have yet to even touch, and I really don't feel obliged to use them until I need to.

Last edited:
As a programmer, that'd be a horrible solution that in the longer run would have dire consequences, support issues least of all.

I just timed the additional boot time on my FM3-Mk 1, and it's ~13 seconds to load Dyna-Cabs, and ~14 seconds to expand them. 27-ish seconds total?
I'm not understanding why that would have "dire consequences". There's got to be a way to remove Dyna Cabs, if the user doesn't want them. The unit functions fine without them. I used mine for a few cycles before finally installing them and the only downside is having to acknowledge the annoying pop up. At the very least I'd suggest @GuyJames make it a wish to be able to uninstall them.

I do agree with your time estimates.

Last edited:
So please forgive me, and not to highjack this thread, and I'm a bit behind of the updated versions leading to Dynacab v.5, I'm running 4.01 using a few vendor speaker IRs and my trusty fas stock speaker presets. Can anyone tell me will I loose stock and vendor IRs when upgrading to v.5?

Maybe instead of removing them just don’t use them? They’re optional.

However, now that I’ve experimented enough with them I find I like them far better than any of my third party IRs.
I think he doesn't enjoy the longer boot time. His last sentence in the OP doesn't make sense as written:

I kind of just want to uninstall them if it's possible because it doesn't lengthen the start up time of the FM9 it seems.

I'm guessing he meant to say it does lengthen the start time. Maybe he can elaborate.

Back
Top Bottom