To Axe or just use a Marshall JCM 900 for a gig?

GEN DAWG

O Lords of the Axe: A dilemma. I have a one-off gig out of town (Vegas) for which I was going to run thru the Axe and into powered monitors (output 1) + FOH (output 2). For budget reasons, the sound company would only give me cheap-a$$ powered monitors to run through (molded plastic, model I haven't used, etc.), and I could get a Marshall JCM 900 (100 watt) + 4x12 cab cheaper for the gig. So I did. Question -- should I just plug into the Marshall and let 'er rip for this gig (loud rock cover band), or should I try to run my beloved AxeFx thru the FX loop of the head? If I just use the amp, I don't have to carry the Axe with me. Prolly sound fine for 1 gig. I would most likely live on the clean channel and just set the dirt channel for solos.

But I want to used the Axe. That's why I bought it. I have presets ready and everything.

So what would you do? If the answer is use the Axe, how do I do that? Run it through the fx-loop (i.e., just run in the fx return and skip the front of the amp? will that work?). I'd have to skip the cab sims (at least for the signal I run to the Marshall). I could still send my full Axe signal to the FOH, w/ cab sims. CHOICES!!!!!

HELP!! I leave Saturday a.m.

I think it all comes down to how much time you have for rehearsal and tweaking if you've got the better part of a day to run through your patches at volume go for it. You might also consider taking out amp models and certain post effects and just using it as an effects unit.

I guess what I'd like to know is can I use the fx loop on the Marshall to totally bypass the front end of that amp and just access its power section, so that (nearly) all the tone shaping comes from the Axe? Yes, I know the power tubes will color the sound somewhat, but I probably will not crank the amp loud enough to get them overdriving, so the effect on sag, feel, etc. shouldn't be that great. I will have a fair amount of time (several hours) to tweak patches (I'll really only use about 5 of them for this gig). Plus, I'll still have a stereo signal going to FOH from the Axe.

I'm also looking for folks' gut reaction to whether this juice is worth the squeeze -- should I tote my AxeFx on the plane, to the gig, etc., spend a lot of time getting it dialed in for a new setup, probably get it to sound "about right, no JUST right" for the gig, then schlep it home OR should I just take a couple of fx pedals and plug into the JCM 900 and probably sound pretty good for the gig? I mean, we're a rock band and it's a Marshall . . . .

Again, HEEEEEEEELP!!!

I fly to most of my gigs. Are they providing a full PA? If so, you probably want to bring the Axe and go direct to the mixer with one set of outputs. The other can go into the loop of the Marshall head. It won't sound as good on stage but it should sound great out front if the soundman is any good. I find it comforting to have my rig with me always. I can play out of backline equipment but it isn't the same. I don't know how to turn off the cab modelling feature for one set of outputs but I think it can be done. If so, just turn off the cabs for your onstage setup and send the full modelled output to the board.

Either way, it's all about having fun anyway!!!

Follow-up report: I ended up taking the Axe and running it into the effects return of the JCM 900 + 4x12 cab. I put an FX Loop block before the cabinet block in each of my patches and ran Output 2 into the Marshall's effects return. Output 1 (stereo, with cab block) went to the front of the house.

Verdict: Cool setup! The Axe thru the Marshall sounded fantastic. Clean patches were big and fat and the crunch / lead patches rocked. Probably the best sound I've gotten onstage throughout any gig. Sound guys seemed to like my FOH sound (they didn't gripe). So the setup worked extremely well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom