To anyone else who also just received their Axe-Fx II ... how is your fan noise?

"Axe FX II user manual page 176"

Thanks, I have already got the info in another thread. BTW I asked for the dimensions of the box that the unit was shipped in, not the dimensions of the rack unit.

Y'all seem to have overlooked the possibility that there is some variation in how loud the fans are, both from unit to unit as well as over time. The fan in my Ultra went from barely audible to annoying over a period of six months.

Yes, I believe this has happened to some owners but several have said that their Standard/Ultra was annoying from day one (my Ultra included). From what I'm reading about the AxeFX II, it is as loud or louder than the Ultra with the addition of fluctuating noise. I think the ones that got louder can be attributed to the use of a ball bearing fan that degrades over time. If I recall correctly, Cliff opted for the ball bearing fan because it is thought to be more reliable compared to the alternatives. Sure, he could have put a "silent" fan in there but he may have risked more RMA-ed units due to overheating. Again, I don't know that for sure but it makes sense to me. Whatever the case may be, I have reached my limit with the stock Ultra fan (hasn't gotten any noiser as far as I can tell) and I will replace it. I'll do the same with the II but I'll try and hold off so that I can do a quick comparison of both side by side so that others have a better idea of what to expect.

PS Many thanks to the original poster of the II's noise recording. It was comical that one of the first recordings was of the fan but it's great information for me. It's better that I know ahead of time that I need to replace the fan rather than getting it and being upset that I need to crack open the case of my new found 2k+ (and rising) toy - er, work horse.

"Axe FX II user manual page 176"

Thanks, I have already got the info in another thread. BTW I asked for the dimensions of the box that the unit was shipped in, not the dimensions of the rack unit.

Oops. Glad you got what you needed.
Cheers.

Scott, I'm going to be very direct with you. I appreciate about 1/2 of your comments. You provide good info. The other half I do not like. I'm mostly a lurker but I think you post 1/2 good info (why people tolerate the other half of your back hand).

Ignorance:
Failure to recognize that this fan issue is due to a genuine physiological difference among people. Many who say this is not an issue take it too far and belittle others. Look at this thread (admittedly mild) but filled with irrelevant jokes and not really honoring the person who was looking for help. I do call that ignorance.

Elitism:
Spawned from ignorance. Our issues don't matter because they don't matter to you (I'm not pointing at you Scott).

Has anyone replaced their AxeFX II fan yet? Will the same fan replacement instructions used with the Ultra/Standard work?

Well, if I'm only pissing off half the people then I'm doing something right after all. Not my job to make everyone happy, just trying to help is all.

I've bought brand new custom made guitars and had to have the nut re-cut or change the strings... right out of the box. I've ripped open new $850 4x12 speaker cabs to swap the speakers or rewire bad solder joints on day one. I've dropped the chassis on new $3000+ amps to do tube swaps and biasing right from the drop. I am also 44, have lived a bit and am bringing perspective to the issue. I have watched loved ones and friends fight cancer and lose, I have lost folks close to me to tragic circumstances. I have seen things that make you look at posts on a forum about a fan and think, hmm, well.... that's not really a big deal. This is also an issue that was discussed with the Gen1 boxes to great detail and they are here for anyone using search to find. I've swapped out the stock fans on all the Gen1 boxes I owned/used/borrowed or setup. (About 6 or 7 in total). So I am far from ignorant on the subject.

So if you are offended by half my words, I apologize for offending you. Never my intent and I don't view online participation on forums as a fight or a battle to be won.

I speak my mind and sometimes I might not agree with you or someone else.

You can drop the Wikipedia definitions and holier than thou act, even if that gives you a kick. I was very clear - if you feel the fan it too loud, then replace it. I don't see how pages and pages of folks now complaining about how their box should come with silent fans will do any good. They won't change the fan supplier because they never did when this went down with the Gen1 boxes. I am trying to save you the trouble.

If you are still offended by my 'back hand' well then, please feel free to let loose on me via PM or email. I'm not hard to find.

Last edited:
So if you are offended by half my words, I apologize for offending you. Never my intent and I don't view online participation on forums as a fight or a battle to be won.

Should have only given him half of an apology. Or maybe all of a half-hearted apology.

Reactions: yek
"If it bugs you, then swap it out for a quieter fan and get on with life."

Get on with life? WTF kind of an answer is that? Great forum!

Yes, I agree. And that was from a moderator. The guy just paid over $2000 and has a legit complaint.

If Steve, Dweezil or Larry Mitchell would of complained would someone of said... "swap it out and get on with life?" I highly doubt it.

If Steve, Dweezil or Larry Mitchell would of complained would someone of said... "swap it out and get on with life?" I highly doubt it.

Indeed. I am sorry for offending your sensibilities with my brutally insensitive post about it not being very important in the scheme of things. ;) :D It's a $12 after market part. And I personally know two of those guys and would indeed tell them to 'swap and get on with your life' and we'd share a laugh and get on with it.

If the new meme is 'get on with your life' then that isn't so bad I guess.

I think some of you guys need to disconnect from the Internet a little and go interact with people in real life. None of these things are that big of a deal.

Everyone is on the edge of their seats with their guns cocked and ready to go lately. Every one is just looking for a fight. There's nothing here guys. The fan is the same as the Gen1 boxes. It is re-positioned and shock mounted now - from what I've read. So if the Gen1 boxes' fan noise was an issue for you, it needs to factor in your overall purchase decision - you might feel a need to replace the stock fan.

Last edited:
Indeed. I am sorry for offending your sensibilities with my brutally insensitive post about it not being very important in the scheme of things. It's a $12 after market part.

If the new anti-me meme is 'get on with your life' then that isn't so bad I guess.

I think some of you guys need to disconnect from the Internet a little and go interact with people in real life. None of these things are that big of a deal.

Everyone is on the edge of their seats with their guns cocked and ready to go lately. Every one is just looking for a fight. There's nothing here guys. The fan is the same as the Gen1 boxes. It is re-positioned and shock mounted now - from what I've read. So if the Gen1 boxes' fan noise was an issue for you, it needs to factor in your overall purchase decision - you might feel a need to replace the stock fan.
I rarely stop by here and I could care less what you say. It's just your a Moderator and maybe you should think twice before trying to make funny or rude remarks that aren't funny. Smilys go a long way in forums *learn how to use them*

I'm not in the market for the Axe II. But all in all, your last three sentences you wrote in your last post. Was all you had to write in your post that riled up some of us. ;)
And you are so far from Brutal... you don't even realize it :)

I rarely stop by here and I could care less what you say. It's just your a Moderator and maybe you should think twice before trying to make funny or rude remarks that aren't funny. Smilys go a long way in forums *learn how to use them*

I'm not in the market for the Axe II. But all in all, your last three sentences you wrote in your last post. Was all you had to write in your post that riled up some of us. ;)
And you are so far from Brutal... you don't even realize it :)

Oh, I realize it. That's was my point. :D (*note use of simile, even I can use them!) :D

For someone that cares less about what I say, you sure seemed caring about how I said it. Again, I apologize for bringing up the obvious but this stuff is of no consequence. I am a part time volunteer moderator. Not on the PR staff nor paid to fluff your pillows and open the doors for you. :D And frankly, I wasn't even rude; it was just interpreted that way by you and grape.

Last edited:
Smileys suck. :D People just want their butts wiped for them and can't just have take a post for what it is. They have to read their insecurities into and get their panties in a wad. Lighten up and move on.

Scott, I'm going to be very direct with you. I appreciate about 1/2 of your comments. You provide good info. The other half I do not like. I'm mostly a lurker but I think you post 1/2 good info (why people tolerate the other half of your back hand).

Ignorance:
Failure to recognize that this fan issue is due to a genuine physiological difference among people. Many who say this is not an issue take it too far and belittle others. Look at this thread (admittedly mild) but filled with irrelevant jokes and not really honoring the person who was looking for help. I do call that ignorance.

Elitism:
Spawned from ignorance. Our issues don't matter because they don't matter to you (I'm not pointing at you Scott).

Has anyone replaced their AxeFX II fan yet? Will the same fan replacement instructions used with the Ultra/Standard work?

I agree with you Grape. I also see where Scott is coming from. It's true that compared to the deaths of friends or family, the issue of fan noise is insignificant. However, this thread isn't about people dying in tragic circumstances. Discussing the Axe II is also insignificant compared to people dying so should we not talk about the Axe II? It's just "stuff". Don't read the thread if it doesn't matter to you. I think all of the people that post here are awesome, including Scott. Everyone has good points to make and I waste more time than I should reading the posts.

It's very true that everyone has different hearing sensitivities. The fan noise would create a lot of stress for me and replacing it would be a top priority. My family makes fun of me for being sensitive to noise. I envy those who aren't bothered by barking dogs, people chewing with their mouths open, hardware clanking on flag poles, etc but I can't tune out these sounds. I wish I could change but it's easier to swap out the fan. (Will also be welding an arm on our flag pole so we can pull the string taut to keep the hardware from hitting the pole. :)

Last edited:
I suppose that's one good thing about growing up... as part of the process, you learn to tune out irrelevant background sh*t - like the extra noise we get bombarded with on a daily basis. <no smiley>

Ignorance:

Elitism:

I for one, feel very fortunate to have benefited from the plethora of guidance and support Scott Peterson has so graciously provided here on the forum. His patience and kind nature are fine qualities, and I admire that he so freely offers his expertise to both beginners and seasoned pros alike. It's unfortunate that some 'forumites' interpreted his comments on fan noise as 'belittling' as has been suggested. I'm certain there was no malicious intent in his verbiage. Even when we disagree with someone, a professional courtesy and common sense approach that I hope we all share, would be to handle these differences in a positive way.
So how about we all agree to recognize the fact that we all have differing opinions and be respectful of one another? Over the years I've learned that there are basically two types of people in this world, those who do......and those who criticize those who do. Scott Peterson obviously falls in the former category. Let's keep this forum a positive and friendly place and avoid the harsh criticism. Like your mother used to say; "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"
(This is probably too warm and fuzzy for some folks. To that I say 'Get on with life! Life is short.) :p
You go Scott!

As the OP, I want to at least chime in and say that nothing Scott said to my post offended me. I think tensions are a little high right now.

And just to clarify, because this thread sort of got off track:

1. The question in my original post was not intended to be about how loud the fan was. I had an Ultra and basically knew what to expect. How loud the Ultra fan was never bothered me (though I perceive this one to be louder).

2. The original post was really about if anybody else was experiencing the fluctuations in the types of fan noise and if that was considered normal because I never experienced that with my Ultra. So it wasn't even a complaint. I just wanted to know if I had a defective unit before I got all set up with it. That's all.

Ok...in an attempt to get back on topic.

I have an Axe 2 and the fan noise doesn't bother me, and it doesn't fluxuate. Same amount of noise (or a little less) than the Ultra (which also doesn't bother me).
I am also noise sensitive (people chewing, pens clicking, etc.)...and the small noise create by the fan goes unnoticed by me.

My fan noise is also very quiet. There are tiny fluctuations but I do not notice them unless I really pay attention to it.

@dscribellito
I hear you. I didn't take your initial post to be a "complaint" but rather a question as to whether your II was behaving normally. Again, thank you for the audio clip and comments. Now I can assume that I will need to replace the fan.

@Scott
Thank you for all of your forum input. As I said, I appreciate 1/2 of what you say. You have a knack for providing really good info in a very rude way. If I had just read this thread alone, I probably would not have said anything but over several threads, I couldn't hold back. Given your last few responses, I don't think you're receiving this well since your posts are still bi-amped (silky smooth channel played through a wrecker without a poweramp section).

Good luck to all with whatever noise reduction mods you need to make.

Back
Top Bottom