Tips and Tricks for setting SAG to 0 - discussion thread

nater

Experienced
Tips and Tricks when setting SAG to 0 - discussion thread

I've been running the AXE as a true preamp lately into a VHT 2902 power amp and real cabs. For the last 2 years, I've run the AXE direct, so this is sort of a new learning curve. I'm really enjoying getting back to the "amp in the room" feel however. I'm starting this thread in hopes to generate a discussion with others who are using their AXE in the same way so we can share tips and tricks for getting your favorite tones in this fashion.

First order of business is trying to figure out exactly which parameters become disabled/obsolete when you set SAG to 0. Per the manual, the Master Volume becomes a simple level control and Depth is no longer active. Presence becomes a shelving filter.

However, beyond these changes, do essentially all the advanced parameters that affect the "Power amp" section also become obsolete? Do they still work, but become less effective? For instance does "XFMR Match" become disabled etc. I haven't had a chance to experiment with all the adv parameters yet, so I don't have any "trial by ear" results to share. Also, some parameters have more effect when Master is cranked. Does this still apply?

What I have found so far is this:

Some Amp models become very clean and loud as soon as you disable the PA. This is obvious for amps that rely on poweramp distortion for their tone. I can get back some of the distortion by maxing input gain, bumping input trim, using saturation etc. But, it's not the same. This is obviously a draw back to disabled PA, because it limits the versatility of the AXE. However, some tweaking can get back into the same territory, but this is where some tips and tricks are needed.

Also, I've noticed I need more hi frequencies, so I'm usually turning bright on, bumping presence, and sometimes brightness. Once you find the sweet spot however, it's glorious.

Clean tones are coming with ease, hi gain is also fairly simple. Mid/low gain has been a little tougher... probably because I'm used to those poweramp distortion characteristics for these types of tones.

Anyways, I know I'm not offering a lot of advice here (yet), but was hoping others could share their tips and settings for how they're achieving their tones when using tubes and real cabs. Do you have any "go-to" settings?

Cheers...:encouragement:

Last edited:
Well, I obviously started a fire storm with this thread....... <crickets>......

Anyhoo - for anyone interested, I've done more experimenting and I'm definitely not hearing many differences when tweaking some of the power amp controls. Leading me to believe most become disabled, or have very little impact once SAG is set to zero.

Is anybody else running real tube power amps? Please share your experiences.... What types of amp models are working for what types of tones....

For me so far - clean/slight grit tones are best with the Tweed Deluxe. If you want more grind/distortion then setting tone stack location to "post" (per a recent Cliff Post) works well, as does the "Saturation" switch. None of these suggestions are ground breaking, but they work especially well when using tube power amps.

Hi Gain is going well with Atomica high, Brit Pre and 5153 Red Modern.

Back
Top Bottom