Time to throw in the towel...

IHere is the Biggest Advantage.
My FRFR mix and Front of House Mix sound Identical. Because I have tweaked to a Flat Mix..

your FRFR and a PA will never sound exactly the same..
and this is for exactly the same reason that two different FRFR monitors like a CFR and a CLR for example don't sound exactly the same..

so be careful here...
these kinds of generalisations can set some folks expectations a little skew..

similar will be as good as you'll get..
the same? maybe once in a while if you're lucky

Lots of great advice in here.. I appreciate it all.. Maybe my towel isn't quite thrown in yet :)

Any of you nice chaps willing to send me their live patches so I can try them out and get some tips on how to modify mine?

I thought your patch through the axe fx cab I suggested was fine. If you're having problems it's further down the line, or it's your guitar. I can record a clip with it, if that will help.

I concur with the other posts about your cab on the stage for rehearsal but up off the stage for the gig.

I'm guessing that is your #1 issue.

I would tackle it in this order:

1. Keep the cab in the same relative place, on the floor or on a stand, and tilted or not tilted the same, for preset creation, rehearsal and gigging.

2. Whichever you pick for #1, re-dial in your preset.

3. Deal will volume matching the other guitar player on the gig. Maybe start about 4-6db louder than you think you need to be.

4. Last resort, try to deal with the cab beaming etc.

Richard

Reactions: BMH
hmmmm......

I drive a pair of Marshall 1960b cabs from a GT1000FX
and it sounds like it'll start wars... and finish 'em...

I know it's a personal taste thing..
but I can't agree with you on this one..

Yeah, you're not wrong. I was in front of them and it was like being shoved in the chest.

The sound was spot on too.

Unfortunately, using Cabs and with even with FRFR, your patches at home most likely will not translate well when playing live at the venue. Also, you need to take into consideration your entire band, which takes a bunch of your guitar frequencies. Best way to do it is to tweak on stage, although I understand it can be difficult. But try your best during set-up. Good luck.

My plan was never to put the AxeFX through the Mackie PA, and still isn't. I prefer to have control myself so I've stuck with a poweramp and Cab option. I might dig out my FRR cabinet for next rehearsal and see how that sounds, maybe that will help, I could even have a mix of the 2x12 can and the FRFR (if I can get them all in the car :))

I'm going to try to book a room this week for myself and set the cab as far away from me as I can and try re-doing my presets. As suggested above, I'll use Yek's as a basis this time.

Ah sorry Si. I totally misread your post about the SRM450s.

I have asked my other band members if we can schedule a band practice that I pay for, and I'll throw in pizza and whatever, for the sole purpose of dialling in my rig at volume with everything else "getting in the way". Not only have you got to deal with the "Inge sound different at volume" issue, but also finding your space with the other instruments.

Going to be tedious for them, but really worth it for me!

I only make my tone with in-ears at home. How on Earth could I possibly get the sound from FOH right - (considering that the PA and the sound-guy are within reasonable quality).

Rely on wedges or anything else - noway.

In Ears would be a Mile away from Front of House.
I have never been able to make a Patch that did not Require Tweaking if it was made with in ears.
Have to be Live and Loud in the Mix, can't set a Tube Amp with In Ears either...

In Ears would be a Mile away from Front of House.
I have never been able to make a Patch that did not Require Tweaking if it was made with in ears.
Have to be Live and Loud in the Mix, can't set a Tube Amp with In Ears either...
I'd go mad if I had to use IEMs to create patches.

Definitely a decent FRFR box (active wedge CLR perhaps) and call it a day.

I was a hater. "Was" being the operative word. CLRs and the A2 have definitely synergistically come together to make my most used and formidable rig yet. I totally dig.

Mo (Former Hater)

Best results direct into pa with cab sim. I use a 2x12 onstage and know it doesn't sound the same as out front but as I also mix the sound for my band I kind of know that it sounds good out front. Ideally would like to hear the actual foh mix through my cab or onstage monitor but for me it's not practical. Get it through the pa.

My half-open 2x12" sounds superbly great with clean and mild overdriven sounds, and thin and flubby with any heavier tones. A good FR monitor makes all the difference here, so I can use cab sims and jump from a farting 1x8" tweed to a thundering 8x10" with one click and get a "period correct" tone for anything. One guitar cab can work for ok for all tones, but mine doesnt.

Edit: also, I once tried a setup where I had that 2x12 in out1 and a 4x12 in out2 for heavier tones, switched for whatever was better for the patch. Like using two IR's... Sounded ok, only 10000times more cumbersome to haul around than the 124 IR's that live in the axe... Just saying. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Clarky... Sims are ON, but I'm using an FX loop block to send to OUT2 before the CAB block. I'm sure you would love to see the delights of Newcastle.. why not come up for a pink and an AxeFX training session :)

It's defiantly not a "screw you" thread.. it's a cry for help thread :)

I've only done 6ish gigs with the AxeFX II, but I have gigged a Stand and an Ultra in the past.

Whereabouts in Newcastle are you? I live in Durham and use the AF2 with a Matrix GM50 powered Cornford 2x12 cab with V30s, sounds fine for pub/club gigs

Whereabouts in Newcastle are you? I live in Durham and use the AF2 with a Matrix GM50 powered Cornford 2x12 cab with V30s, sounds fine for pub/club gigs

I'm actually in Consett rather than Newcastle. What's your band called, ill defo pop in to see you play and see how it sounds compared to mine.

I should start a business for helping fellow Axe Fx musicians to set up their systems! lol!
I've played live for over 30 years and my sound has never been better.
A sound man can make a difference but if your sound is good, it's hard to screw it up! If the sound is harsh the problem could be that the signal is too hot if you're running the Axe Fx DI.

Just to add one more thing. for that type of patch I would consider bypassing the reverb. Is your other guitarist using reverb?

Appreciate the cry for help, but better to come ask for help rather than announce 'I'm selling it all!'

I get frustration. But I think that you're better off working the problem; since it sounds GREAT at practice, and crappy at a gig, then you're 90% there.

My advice (work on one at a time.)
-Learn the parameters well in the AMP block for those options that you use the most.
-If you have a sound check, ask them to keep jamming while you hit those parameters through the 2x12 (since this seems like the issue).
-Get as far back from the amp as possible (into the audience?) and see what the throw sounds like.
-SAVE that preset somewhere ELSE 1st, and come back to it later to see what you need to boost/reduce/etc for any other patches through that 2x12.

huh?

How can it sound any different at a venue than at practice?

I build my presets alone, I then final tune them by playing against backing tracks of my band. It never sounds different at different places, but different places sound different than each other.

Put a looper into the front of your preset chain. Play a passage into the looper, go out into the audience and listen how it sounds with YOUR playing, YOUR hand position in terms of where you strum in the space between the bridge and the neck joint, Your Pick gauge, and your pick attack. Ask the sound man to turn it up to "performance volume" and ask the band to play along if they care about how their band sounds.

Getting a buddy or the bass player to play your guitar so you can hear how it sounds, is a recipe for making tweaking decisions that could result in degrading your sound when you are playing your axe.

I run long XLR cables into the venue and set up my rig, and play through it. The patches I have created at home, and possibly have recorded with, are very close to being perfect through a sound system, if the system is balanced correctly. I usually can get suitable results by manipulating the GLOBAL OUTPUT 1 eq so that all of my presets can benefit from that corrective last EQ before they leave my rig. (just remember to make it flat again when you are at home and programming new presets).

If I do that correctly on the night of a gig, accounting for the bass, mid and treble response of the sound system after the tech team has EQ'd it to their liking, that one adjustment on my part, will cause every preset I've created, to sound the way it did at home or when recording with the Global set to flat.

That is the purpose of the GLOBAL EQ, is it not?

Use it to your advantage.

I'm not using a PA or sound guy, it's straight from a 2x12 cab.

Are you using the cab sims?

I used the matrix and a port city 2x12. In this set up, you can't use the cab sims and that is where the axe fx really shines. I sold the power amp and cab and went with the Matrix 12a. It changed everything. It punches through the mix and tone for days. The Cab sims are the key to molding your tone.

Back
Top Bottom