Three weeks in w/ FM3 Mk II Turbo

jeffgoobs

Hello all, relatively new to the Fractal world here; figured I'd share my story.

So after over thirty years of being as religiously analog as one can get with my live rig, I've finally conceded and actually physically put my amp and pedals away into storage, which for me was a tall order.

A month or so ago, I had to do some guitar recording, and realized that my Eleven Rack was finally so long in the tooth, that it wasn't useful to me anymore. So it was time to get a new modeler for recording. I'd been out of the modeler market for probably twelve years, so I had to re-familiarize myself with the brands/products. People who like to tweak their sound like I do seemed to be very loyal to Fractal Audio's tech and UI, so I started my research with an FM3. I also ended my research with the FM3. The Axe-Fx modeling technology is just totally mind-boggling to me. Game over. The presets, with nary a single adjustment, smoke the sound of my whole rig. It's UNREAL how good these models are now. Not even my own company's products, as much of a fanboy as I am of them, have ever blown my mind like this product did.

The best part for me is that I can do things with this that are not physically possible in real life, but I have full confidence now that if they were, they would sound exactly like I'm hearing out of this unit. I've been marveling at how you can adjust every single iota of your rig, down to what tubes you're using, what speakers, what mic, where it's placed, and what diodes your pedals use. Remarkable. Sans any hyperbole, my quickly-assembled scenes I threw together sonically just blow my whole analog rig out of the water. That's it. That's all I needed. If I can have my feel-based analog rig without having to schlep the rig and take up the space? Later, amps and pedals!

I absolutely LOVE this thing, and now want the full on Axe-Fx III for my studio.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for making such a killer product, Fractal! You've made my life easier.

Cheers,
JeffIMG_7360.jpeg

Last edited:
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Welcome and many of us know exactly how you feel. I'm in my 11th year of being all-in on Fractal and it's lovely! I'm an evangelist and have helped many people I know to join the flock...

Mostly that consisted of playing my own Fractal and letting them play, hear and feel for themselves.

Since you mentioned your own company, I'm curious if you want to share? If not, no pressure.

Since you mentioned your own company, I'm curious if you want to share? If not, no pressure.
I work for a large American electronics company who makes smart phones, tablets, and computers. I don't want to mistakenly memorialize anything that could be perceived as representing my employer's opinions or interests here, which is why I chose to remain elusive about it, but I'm sure you can figure it out. Anecdotally, I am Program Manager for new product introductions within our worldwide reseller operations division. Basically, I explain to our reseller partners how to sell our new products before our launches occur.

Edit: Forgive me if I was misleading by using the phrase "my company..." I should've said 'the company for which I work.' (Trust me, if it were actually MY company, I'd be pretty psyched though.)

Last edited:
I've had an FM3 since early January. Before that, I was using a Mooer GE300, and even before that, I was using a Blues Deluxe / Marshall Origin setup. The difference was huge, and I don't regret my purchase at all! Glad you're here now! The FM3 is fantastic, you'll see, the possibilities are incredible.

I work for a large American electronics company who makes smart phones, tablets, and computers. I don't want to mistakenly memorialize anything that could be perceived as representing my employer's opinions or interests here, which is why I chose to remain elusive about it, but I'm sure you can figure it out. Anecdotally, I am Program Manager for new product introductions within our worldwide reseller operations division. Basically, I explain to our reseller partners how to sell our new products before our launches occur.

Edit: Forgive me if I was misleading by using the phrase "my company..." I should've said 'the company for which I work.' (Trust me, if it were actually MY company, I'd be pretty psyched though.)
Cool... And, yes, I assumed that you meant the company that you worked for ;)

I believe I also may have worked for said company in the past - 25+ years ago :)

Welcome to the club! Back when I got my AX8 (the predecessor to I guess the FM9), I gigged with 2 independent signal flows. One with the FAS modeler direct to FOH and the other into my 100w half stack and pedal board. I think it was maybe the 3rd gig where I didnt even bother taking the amp off standby. After that, it has been nearly 100% FAS products for me, at least live.

Also on my 3rd week with the unit, and just made my most bad ass tone I've been wanting wow, I had all 3 Fractal units before and went to tube amps for 2 years and was very fun but really all I need is this FM3 Turbo, glad you posted this 3 week review, super happy with it too..

...I had all 3 Fractal units before and went to tube amps for 2 years...
Just why? Did you really, really miss lugging all that extra weight around? ;)

The FM3 Turbo is indeed awesome and is probably capable of handling >90% of guitarists' needs.

Just why? Did you really, really miss lugging all that extra weight around? ;)

The FM3 Turbo is indeed awesome and is probably capable of handling >90% of guitarists' needs.
I have all 3.

Got the Axe Fx III first. It's great but isn't the most optimal for gigging.

Got the FM9 next. It's the sweet spot for my needs for gigs.

Got the FM3 last. We have 3 members all using FM9s. My idea is that it can serve as the gig backup for any of us. Also my son is using it as well and I've taken it on vacation, too.

Also, because I can and I don't need to justify it to anyone...

I have all 3.

Got the Axe Fx III first. It's great but isn't the most optimal for gigging.

Got the FM9 next. It's the sweet spot for my needs for gigs.

Got the FM3 last. We have 3 members all using FM9s. My idea is that it can serve as the gig backup for any of us. Also my son is using it as well and I've taken it on vacation, too.

Also, because I can and I don't need to justify it to anyone...
That's nice, but I was making a dig at hauling around tube amps.

Back
Top Bottom