Three Amp Blocks?

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset?

• Yes

Votes: 395 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll asked "Would you actually use three?" not "Do you want three?".

19 pages of want comments :). Of course you want! We always want.

I have my DREAM And Justice For All distortion sound using 4 amps NOW. I have both axefx3 and axe fx 2 in tandem. I wanna sell the 2 but so far I can't...

:)

What would be cool is if you could have any number of any block up to the CPU limit. Say you want five amps and three cab blocks with five delays or a whole row of just wah wahs, not that you would but you catch my meaning.

Yeah, this is how I expected it to work before I got the unit.

Would you really need 5 amp blocks though

The advantage of 3 i can see
You want a clean Vox crunch Marshall and an SLO lead tone in one tune with no dropouts but byond that next song you would have time to change presets in between

Micheal Britt said something interesting about multiple amp tones
He said if you use more than one or 2 a song it is jarring to a listener
Less is more
The listeners ear wont be able to adjust to a Fender intro
Marshall verse. 5150 bridge
Hiwatt chorus its like a website with to many fonts to be comfortable to navigate
He said music and the human hearing is similar

You want a clean Vox crunch Marshall and an SLO lead tone in one tune with no dropouts but byond that next song you would have time to change presets in between

Less is more
Hiwatt chorus its like a website with to many fonts to be comfortable to navigate

There is truth to that. But with limited amp blocks...I can't seem to dial in the right sound on 1 amp and use scene controllers and control switches to get what i'm after and though seamless, it passes but leaves me wanting. Like glassy cleans, slight dirt, more dirt, crunch/rhythms and the solo leads. Those "breakup amps" really provide the tone and feel as well as the Fenders and Vox for cleans.

3 amp blocks should be truly seamless and work for me! ...but hey...I won't knock down a 4th or 5th or up to the cpu limit as suggested by some!

Less is more

First, I'm not necessarily being critical of their approach to resource limiting - I was just surprised. I expected the only constraint would be the CPU, and that it would basically be my problem if I had too much going on. As a software developer, I get why they'd want to keep folks from breaking things, though. It's much easier to say you can only use two amps than to have people adding eighteen amps and then complaining that the CPU is under-powered.

But to answer your question - I like to experiment, so yeah, I'd use five amps. Hell, I'd try fifty if I could. I like running effects in parallel to different amps to get different stacked tones. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes 'jarring to the listener' is the intended effect.

The Axe needs to know how many of each block is possible so you can assign midi and control numbers for other gear to control it. If you suddenly have 5 amps, what CC# is amp 5? Where do you assign that?

Less is more
Re-amp 4 guitars at once in the studio.

The reason I haven't added a third amp block is that I would have to reduce the oversample rate for all the amp blocks when three are in use and this would be detrimental to sound quality.
Does it mean that the 3rd amp block won't be an option without compromising the sound quality?

The reason I haven't added a third amp block is that I would have to reduce the oversample rate for all the amp blocks when three are in use and this would be detrimental to sound quality.

There's enough tools in the box to accomplish, with a little creativity, most anything and with excellent quality! Of course you know us, we like more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom