Thoughts on converting active CLR to passive??

The good thing is that some judicious EQ adjusting on the modeler side should help make up the difference.

Maybe someone could shoot an IR of the CLR, or get a frequency-response chart which'd help.

That would be fantastic if somebody took it upon themselves to do all that hard work. I see in the Headrush thread where they did similar, it still is a far cry for being "good enough" for some, but others seem to be really happy with usable results out of an inexpensive option. I'd be plenty happy with usable results out of a bastardized....but working, CLR

That would be fantastic if somebody took it upon themselves to do all that hard work. I see in the Headrush thread where they did similar, it still is a far cry for being "good enough" for some, but others seem to be really happy with usable results out of an inexpensive option. I'd be plenty happy with usable results out of a bastardized....but working, CLR
Here's the manual for the original versions of the CLR which has a frequency response chart: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/45581009/clr-series-owners-manual-atomic-amplifiers

Jay Mitchell was the designer of the CLR & was an outside consultant & is no longer associated with Atomic. He is also on TGP & would definitely be able to give you help with this but whether he actually would is another question.

You can try contacting Atomic Amps on The Gear Page. He has been posting some there recently & you might get a response on how to get the power amps fixed. I know you can send just the power amps in for repairs so you don't have to ship the whole cab.
I think this will be a moot effort. I sent one to him last January and after multiple efforts to contact him again I got it back end of May $250 repair bill, and it wasn’t fixed still has the same problem pops and loses volume and loud static periodically. Finally got a response in September to that he would call me the next day and get it resolved. Now a year later no word or call from him since. After multiple efforts to get a response. I’m out $250 for nothing. I wouldn’t send him money ( if you get a response) . I’m looking at a way to fix it myself or just putting a F12x200 in it.
One thing for certain, I’ll never buy another Atomic product!

I think this will be a moot effort. I sent one to him last January and after multiple efforts to contact him again I got it back end of May $250 repair bill, and it wasn’t fixed still has the same problem pops and loses volume and loud static periodically. Finally got a response in September to that he would call me the next day and get it resolved. Now a year later no word or call from him since. After multiple efforts to get a response. I’m out $250 for nothing. I wouldn’t send him money ( if you get a response) . I’m looking at a way to fix it myself or just putting a F12x200 in it.
That's a damn shame, he gave me great service twice about 5 years ago. Haven't needed any since. I hope he gets it figured out. I really still like my non Neo's.

Reactions: RDH
Here's the manual for the original versions of the CLR which has a frequency response chart: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/45581009/clr-series-owners-manual-atomic-amplifiers

Jay Mitchell was the designer of the CLR & was an outside consultant & is no longer associated with Atomic. He is also on TGP & would definitely be able to give you help with this but whether he actually would is another question.
Jay's cooperation is the only way you're going to approximate the response of the original amps and crossover, in my opinion. He's a sophisticated designer, as evidenced by the the CLR's near-universal acclaim. I'd be surprised if the crossover wasn't very specifically tuned to those drivers in that cab, and to a lesser degree, the response and sensitivity of the amps.

A generic white-label crossover won't get you there. A sufficiently adjustable one could, IF you have the measuring equipment and understanding to tune it yourself.

Jay may or may not assist in such a venture. TBH, he's a bit of a prickly character in my experience, but it's worth a shot.

Maybe I should re-name this thread to "Cool stuff we can do to CLRs that don't work anymore" LOL :)

Because really that's where I'm at. At this point they are some really expensive enclosures I'd like to do SOMETHING with. Almost anything really.
I've been curious about that F12x200 in a regular guitar cab, assuming it's something flat enough that IRs sound good, but still adds enough traditional cab feel to it. IF you go that route, I'd love to hear the results.

Your description of the pop,volume and static sound exactly like what mine currently do. Did you get any insight into what supposedly the problem was? Apparently it didn't fix it so theres that.....

Jay's cooperation is the only way you're going to approximate the response of the original amps and crossover, in my opinion. He's a sophisticated designer, as evidenced by the the CLR's near-universal acclaim. I'd be surprised if the crossover wasn't very specifically tuned to those drivers in that cab, and to a lesser degree, the response and sensitivity of the amps.

A generic white-label crossover won't get you there. A sufficiently adjustable one could, IF you have the measuring equipment and understanding to tune it yourself.

Jay may or may not assist in such a venture. TBH, he's a bit of a prickly character in my experience, but it's worth a shot.

I think you're correct. My above response is pretty much where I'm at. I just want to do something with them. At the moment I can use my studio monitors for accuracy, and the seldom times I actually leave the house I can play through a cab and get killer Marshall tones for a jam.
Unfortunately I feel like I may be done using them like I have for the last decade. But life moves on and gear changes.

If I do pursue another option for loud FRFR I think I want something with a separate power amp and replace components as needed

That's a damn shame, he gave me great service twice about 5 years ago. Haven't needed any since. I hope he gets it figured out. I really still like my non Neo's.
I hope so too👍🏻it’s a shame to have use it for a door stop.

Maybe I should re-name this thread to "Cool stuff we can do to CLRs that don't work anymore" LOL :)

Because really that's where I'm at. At this point they are some really expensive enclosures I'd like to do SOMETHING with. Almost anything really.
I've been curious about that F12x200 in a regular guitar cab, assuming it's something flat enough that IRs sound good, but still adds enough traditional cab feel to it. IF you go that route, I'd love to hear the results.

Your description of the pop,volume and static sound exactly like what mine currently do. Did you get any insight into what supposedly the problem was? Apparently it didn't fix it so theres that.....

I think you're correct. My above response is pretty much where I'm at. I just want to do something with them. At the moment I can use my studio monitors for accuracy, and the seldom times I actually leave the house I can play through a cab and get killer Marshall tones for a jam.
Unfortunately I feel like I may be done using them like I have for the last decade. But life moves on and gear changes.

If I do pursue another option for loud FRFR I think I want something with a separate power amp and replace components as needed
Supposed to be the power amp according to Tom

Interestingly, the previous gen "Atomic Reactors" (also Jay design input afair) also came in passive format - exact same cab with covered hole where the amp part goes, but maybe the crossover is different in the passive versions. Anyway, the thought has occured
to me before that I was better off with the passives as the power modules have not seemed to be great long term. I've kept my reactors as the cab, crossover and speakers seem good quality, and they translate ok for home music room with an always applied eq that I kind of worked out.

I've had passive CLR's since they first came out (non-Neo) and they have never given me any problems.

I have never attempted to open them up (no reason to) so I can't give any insight as to the cross-over.

I would say, those speakers are definitely worth keeping even if you have to drive it with an outside P.A.

No. Harry Kolbe designed those.
I stand corrected as you seem well versed on things Atomic - Jay was associated with Atomic at the time I bought those, and his related opinion was expressed a lot here back in the day, so I had the impression he had some input.

Back
Top Bottom