This is a stupid question about FM9 EQ.

bluesk165

Inspired
Hello? This is a basic question about FM9 EQ.

The presets have the following EQs:
1. Blocks: Low cut, high cut, input EQ, output EQ
2. Caps: low cut, high cut
3. EQ block: Many types of EQ
4. System I.O EQ ........... and so on.

Like this, many types of EQ can exist in presets.
However, if I want to use FM9 with FRFR, I recommend cutting below 80Hz and above 6500Hz.
So do I need to find all the EQ types in the presets and low cut and high cut them?
Or is there some order?
This is a stupid question, but please give me some advice.

* I always get a lot of help from this forum. thank you everybody !!!!

** The thread prefixed was deleted because it could cause confusion to readers. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Hello? This is a basic question about FM9 EQ.

The presets have the following EQs:
1. Blocks: Low cut, high cut, input EQ, output EQ
2. Caps: low cut, high cut
3. EQ block: Many types of EQ
4. System I.O EQ ........... and so on.

Like this, many types of EQ can exist in presets.
However, if I want to use FM9 with FRFR, I recommend cutting below 80Hz and above 6500Hz.
So do I need to find all the EQ types in the presets and low cut and high cut them?
Or is there some order?
This is a stupid question, but please give me some advice.

* I always get a lot of help from this forum. thank you everybody !!!!
If I understand it correctly, you’re asking to create, essentially, a hi-cut and lo-cut shelf where nothing below 80 and nothing above 6500 gets to the FRFR, no matter which preset you select. If that’s right, a global output EQ should do that. You might find there are effects that sound muffled with the high cut, but that’s personal preference. I don’t use the global EQ, but the info is on pages 91/93 of the manual.

Or is there some order?
For this I use the cab block to cut highs and lows with reference to using an FRFR cab. Pre and post EQ with respect to the amp block could apply but personally I like to use that surgically when sculpting a tone.

I would recommend Leon's tips for FRFR here. You can use the Output EQ in the system settings on the output for your FRFR, set it to parametric and also assign the first and last frequency to the global performance page for instant tweaking in a live situation.

For the basic adjustment I use the correction available in the IR block in the preamp tab. This provides an overall correction of the 2 IRs. Currently I cut the top at 5.5 khz at -12db and the bottom at 100hz at -12 too. Added to this is the choice of microphone positioning for the 2 IRs.
Until recently, I activated the global EQ for sound recovery to the FOH, but I no longer do it unless the front panel is too low to correct the sound of my guitar.
Then for each scene I use the correction proposed by the AMP block.
Then in the end I use an EQ block at the output which plays the role of booster function
and a parametric EQ before the AMP block to simulate a single coil microphone.

Remember these hi/low cuts are not just completely lopping off everything above or below these frequencies. There's a slope to the cut.

So even when you hear someone suggest a low cut (hi pass) at, say, 80 Hz, if you have one set at with like -3dB/octave, it's likely not enough.

I don't 100% know how the math works here, but I think if you were to have a -6dB/octave low cut at 80 Hz in two different places, it would add up to the same as a -12dB/octave cut in one place.

All just to say that the slope of the cut matters and it's all additive.

Why is this thread prefixed with "Confirmed"?

Are we confirming it's a stupid question?

Seriously, it's a fair question... And the Confirmed prefix is for comfirmed bugs ;)
When I was writing, there were bullet requirements so I checked them. There is no other meaning. I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom