Thinking of installing a headphone amp to AXE FX. Any suggestions?

I am thinking installing a headphone amp circuit inside the Axe Fx Std. Is there enough space to place such a small board (1x2 inches)inside the Axe FX? Would it be ok if the headphone amp input was wired directly to the output jacks?

Has anybody tried such a project?

never seen anyone try it but there is a ton of room inside both versions of the axe. I dont see why you couldnt piggy back off the output jack, and get power from somewhere or install a jack and use a wall wart.

I built mine outboard for the Ultra, in a single rack unit that included a patch bay for all connections as well as a power supply for the MFC.

Do you think it is possible to get DC 9-24 volts somewhere from within the PCB of the AXE FX without causing any problems? What voltage does the fan work with for example?

I've changed it since upgrading to the AxeFX II, but with the Ultra, from memory I had ..

Back, left to right:
Power in, power out for FRFR, power out to AxeFX*
Stereo in* for headphone amp , mono out to FRFR (buffered and mixed in headphone circuit)
7-pin to MFC, MIDI out to AxeFX*, stereo connector* to pedal 1 and pedal 2
* these were pre-connected inside the rack

Front panel had just the phones output socket

Inside were power supply and stereo headphone amp, and a separate electrically isolated and protected power supply to the MFC

Probably sounds more complicated than it was. Setup was a breeze - just plug in a few cables in the back and ready to go.

Say you want to monitor your Axe Fx with headphones and at the same time send a stereo signal to the input of your sound card (all unbalanced). How would you go about doing that? I mean one set of outputs would go to the headphone amp. What would you have left?

Say you want to monitor your Axe Fx with headphones and at the same time send a stereo signal to the input of your sound card (all unbalanced). How would you go about doing that? I mean one set of outputs would go to the headphone amp. What would you have left?

Axe Fx has both balanced and unbalanced outputs on output 1. one set of unbalanced outputs on output 2.

If you wanted to monitor your recording, wouldn't you go with the interface/computer headphone out, so you could hear everything else like the click track/drums/etc?

I would like to have the Axe always connected to the headphone amp. I don't to hook and unhook cables all the time. When I play without the PC on I'll monitor throught headphones. Or I'll just use the sound cards headphone out.

I would like to have the Axe always connected to the headphone amp. I don't to hook and unhook cables all the time. When I play without the PC on I'll monitor throught headphones. Or I'll just use the sound cards headphone out.

Yes. Leave unbalanced left and right connected to the interface, output 2 to the headphone amp. Set output 2 to copy output 1. You can also add a buffer/pass through circuit.

Back
Top Bottom