the ultimate axe fx headphones

wanted to get these too, but now thinking of getting the DT990 PRO actually, i think i would like the open version more than the closed.
For recording i like the enclosed so i don't hear the pick noise that would otherwise leak in from the outside.

Dt 990 or ath r70x? Cant choose :cool:
Which ones have the lower impedance?
I’d probably go with the lower of the two, easier to drive & need less power. Also maybe check the sensitivity, see which ones have a higher number, that means they’ll be louder with the same amount of power going to them.

Last edited:
Which ones have the lower impedance?
I’d probably go with the lower of the two, easier to drive & need less power. Also maybe check the sensitivity, see which ones have a higher number, that means they’ll be louder with the same amount of power going to them.
why is that? Im connecting the headphones straight into the axe fx, it suppose to be a much more powerfull device than just a smartphone, isnt it? I should get a standart-mid level impedence headphones idealy, no?

+will i need to get an amp for the headphones while using the axe fx 2 with them, at home?

why is that? Im connecting the headphones straight into the axe fx, it suppose to be a much more powerfull device than just a smartphone, isnt it? I should get a standart-mid level impedence headphones idealy, no?

+will i need to get an amp for the headphones while using the axe fx 2 with them, at home?

No you don't need an headphone amp. And my 250 ohms DT 880 work perfectly with it. Excepted if you want to become deaf.

Well, it may not be the only thing you ever want to use them with, was what I was thinking.

Audio-Technica - ATH-R70x for me. They sound amazing and the comfort is unmatched.
going to buy these tomorrow maybe.
The only thing that annoying to me is the cable- its too long!
How i will be able to replace it incase it gets damaged or if i want to replace it with a shortet one?

going to buy these tomorrow maybe.
The only thing that annoying to me is the cable- its too long!
How i will be able to replace it incase it gets damaged or if i want to replace it with a shortet one?

They are pretty long but, it has not been an issue for me. In fact, I’ve found it easier to deal with than the curly cables. I’m sure that with AT being a long standing, reputable company, they will offer replacements.

If it’s an issue, you can always roll it up and secure it with some Velcro.

Hold on. With the way the cable ends twist and lock into the headphones, those might not work. Seems like they were a tad longer than the average 1/8” connector.

I’ll snap some pics later. The baby’s sleeping in the same room as my rig so, I don’t want to wake the beast, lol!

64B9EAE3-BABF-457E-AFF4-A270B6ABAAD7.jpeg So, they’re not going 1/8” and they’re shorter but looks like a proprietary twist and lock. ....or at least, I’ve not seen this type of connection on any other headphones except my m50x’s.

Attachments

• C4ED1787-0996-4C17-8530-CE5D869FA830.jpeg
    C4ED1787-0996-4C17-8530-CE5D869FA830.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 18742BB9-2707-4672-A743-869F7E502F56.jpeg
    18742BB9-2707-4672-A743-869F7E502F56.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
BTW, one of the reasons I got the Sennheiser HD598 was because there was a Sonarworks profile available for them. Have y'all had any experience with Sonarworks? It's a great idea, if you're doing any home recording.

It's a headphone calibration plugin for recording and mixing with a DAW. I have a pair of decent equator studio monitors and I've done a lot of room treatment with GIK panels, but my mixes nearly always sounded a little off (usually bass-heavy) in other environments. I read a review of the Sonarworks, so I bought the software (I think it's $99). You can send them your headphones and they'll make a custom calibration profile for your exact pair, or you can use one of the profiles they've already done for some popular headphone models (I bought the HD598s because they were on the list of pre-existing calibration models). I think you can even buy headphones (a bunch of different brands and models) from them, bundled with the software with a profile already set to the specific pair.

Anyway, it really transformed my mixes, because the calibration essentially turns your headphones into a colorless, totally honest monitoring system. They also have a speaker-calibration software. Check it out:

https://sonarworks.com/headphones

thanks for all the suggestions.
the Sennheiser HD598 look realy gorgeous and comfortable but i will have to stick to what seems to be the most solid option.
and that is what pettymusic have suggested.
found only good reviews on them.
although the banal design...

Last edited:
EA7BCA4D-9D86-461B-88B5-47185DD961FD.png
thanks for all the suggestions.
the Sennheiser HD598 look realy gorgeous and comfortable but i will have to stick to what seems to be the most solid option.
and that is what pettymusic have suggested.
found only good reviews on them.
although the banal design...

Ilya, looks like someone already asked about a shorter cable on the OEM site. They answered “no” and there is only one size in production.

For those using Beyer DT 770's do you use a headphone preamp and what ohm version do you have. I have been a long time user of Sony MDR-7506 and recently purchased a set of Beyer DT 770's 80ohm. The Beyer DT 770's sound kinda bass heavy with no mid range and fold at half the volume the sony's do. I guess they could be bad bought them used but like new condition. just wondering if I need a headphone preamp to take full advantage of them. From a lot of reviews I read about the Beyer DT 770's they said they sound almost identical to the Song MDR-7506 maybe just a tad more bass. Hate them damn folding Sony headphones, not comfortable for extended sessions is why I bought the Beyer DT 770's. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom