the one thing my new AXE 2 XL doesnt do well

mongey

Inspired
so had my xl almost 2 weeks now . really happy with the purchase . I use a dual recto live so got it for home stuff and recording .although it may sneak into the live set up with how much I'm liking it at the moment

There is one feature though I havent gotten to work with much success. as an usb audio interface . I use a 5 or 6 year old edirol firewire card over thunderbolt adaptor into a 2 month old maxed out macbook pro . I run ableton 9 at 64 samples buffer and it is as latency free as any digital setup I've played. even run EZ drummer 2 over midi from my electric kit and can monitor , play and record in real time with no noticable latency at all

the re amping feature of the axe over usb could be usefull at times to me so I have tried it and is no where near usable. anything less than 512 buffer it clicks and pops and at 512 has so much latency its just not do able .I can set up delay compesation and direct monitor but seems like it should work better.I like montoring through the software. feels like I'm really hearing whats going on

drivers are installed and up to date.

its no where near a big deal , I didint buy it to be an audio interface. the option was just like a bonus . and I guess it works on par with how my old HD500 performed although from memory I could run that at 256 with decent results . guess I just expected it to perform a little better in that area

When I have done it, I have been monitoring the Axe directly (usually from headphones plugged directly into the Axe) so no latency that way. I guess you are monitoring through the software to get that kind of latency. Not saying that is wrong, but the only time I have achieved acceptable results for guitar is using a TDM system. Acceptable as far as latency, not tone ;)

The audio interface part of the axe fx works well if all you have connected is the Axe FX. .. no fire wire, no other USB things like flash drives, no other USB activity, also you must keep the CPU of the Axe FX below 90% or it starts crapping out.

Buying an X32 digital mixer with USB solved all my issues.

Back
Top Bottom