The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

and there's also the GT2000RF you'll have to email matt at matrix about it. I got this specifically to power (2) 4x12s in stereo. And there's enough power for any cab you might have. And it has the input sensitivity mod of the GT800FX.

per channel
4ohms 1000watts
8ohms 600watts
16ohms 200watt (roughly)

brigged: 2000 watts (ummm i wouldn't plug that into any guitar cab lol)

It should be shipping this week so when i get it i'll post my feedback

I wonder how high everyone's output is set , my leds barely seem to light up , even if I crank the output level in the global tab ...

I clip the output leds at the front but no green channel leds from the GT blink ...

Raf

You can run one side on its own no problems. In fact, you can run it with nothing connected - obviously youd get no sound :) but it wont hurt the amp like it would a valve amp.

You can run a 4x12 on one side as well. Depends what speakers you have. If there greenbacks, G12Hs or similar, its only a 120W cab, and the Matrix will give 400W into a 4 Ohm,s load (which would be an option on a 4x12). Even if its a 240W cab - run it in 4 Ohm mode and your giving it 400W, which is fine for headroom.

You can run one side on its own no problems. In fact, you can run it with nothing connected - obviously youd get no sound :) but it wont hurt the amp like it would a valve amp.

You can run a 4x12 on one side as well. Depends what speakers you have. If there greenbacks, G12Hs or similar, its only a 120W cab, and the Matrix will give 400W into a 4 Ohm,s load (which would be an option on a 4x12). Even if its a 240W cab - run it in 4 Ohm mode and your giving it 400W, which is fine for headroom.

What about a Marshall 1960A 300W 4x12 Cabinet w/ G12T-75 Speakers using one side of the Matrix.? If you have a link to any resource where I could learn this stuff that would be cool too.

Thanks and Regards

I wonder how high everyone's output is set , my leds barely seem to light up , even if I crank the output level in the global tab ...

I clip the output leds at the front but no green channel leds from the GT blink ...

Raf

IIRC the output on the Global is before the main output knobs so cranking that will send it to clip. Best keep that lowered and crank the main output knob. If your patches are near unity gain, then 1-2 o'clock will remove some dust from the ceiling. The Leds on the Matrix are just there to tell you that it's receiving the specified level of signal. Even if they don't light up and the volume is fine then there's nothing to worry about. On stage I'm running 1-2 o'clock on the main out and with a 5db solo boost, I'll just clip the Axe's red lights. Also will depend on your speaker sensitivity but thats "in the ballpark".

One side is more than enough for a 4x12. No need to bridge the amp.
With the GT cranked up and the AXE at about 12 o'clock I am able to destroy our rehearsal room.

What about a Marshall 1960A 300W 4x12 Cabinet w/ G12T-75 Speakers using one side of the Matrix.? If you have a link to any resource where I could learn this stuff that would be cool too.

Thanks and Regards

Maybe it is an idea to download the manual of the GT800 from the matrix amplification website. For other questions just send an email to Matt. He gladly will help you out.

Regards

The input LED starts to fick at an input of around -8db to -10db (or so Andy told me). I keep the Matrix maxed out - and as Im feeding a 60W speaker want a -6db input. Well actually -9db as I have a 3db boost for solos. SO, I know Im at maximum if/when the input light starts to flick. Its almost like a "carefull - watchyour speakers" light :)

So far, I havent had it flick :)

The input LED starts to fick at an input of around -8db to -10db (or so Andy told me). I keep the Matrix maxed out - and as Im feeding a 60W speaker want a -6db input. Well actually -9db as I have a 3db boost for solos. SO, I know Im at maximum if/when the input light starts to flick. Its almost like a "carefull - watchyour speakers" light :)

So far, I havent had it flick :)

I thought they changed the input sensitivity so the amp "saw" the axe better ... so i'd say that the led would blink while playing is a logical result of this alteration of input sens ....

R

Thats not why the input sensitivity was changed. the Axe was more than capable of driving the XT800s +4bd requirement (The Axe can drive up to +16db from the XLT O/P).

It was more to do with how it reacts to changes in signal strength. a typical valve amp is 0db (and in my VHTS case has a 0db or -10db selectable I/P - the -10db sounds better). so if the input signal goes from say -30db (quiet) to 0db (loud) as you dynamically pluck - as a % thats a greater increase to the VHT when compared to the MAtrix - so it actually gives you better dynamics.

By reducing the input sensitivity on the Gt800 - it just makes it respond better to those changes and makes it feel more valve like. For PA uise, you the XT is fine - for guitar use, the GT is better.

Either way - the XTs LED was set to start to blink at -10 to -8db and the GT is the same. The fact that it needs 0db rather than +4db to give its maximum rated output is neither here nor there when it comes to that LED.

Thats not why the input sensitivity was changed. the Axe was more than capable of driving the XT800s +4bd requirement (The Axe can drive up to +16db from the XLT O/P).

It was more to do with how it reacts to changes in signal strength. a typical valve amp is 0db (and in my VHTS case has a 0db or -10db selectable I/P - the -10db sounds better). so if the input signal goes from say -30db (quiet) to 0db (loud) as you dynamically pluck - as a % thats a greater increase to the VHT when compared to the MAtrix - so it actually gives you better dynamics.

By reducing the input sensitivity on the Gt800 - it just makes it respond better to those changes and makes it feel more valve like. For PA uise, you the XT is fine - for guitar use, the GT is better.

Either way - the XTs LED was set to start to blink at -10 to -8db and the GT is the same. The fact that it needs 0db rather than +4db to give its maximum rated output is neither here nor there when it comes to that LED.

imho input signal leds that don't light up when input is being received is useless ...

R

Maybe. It actually works for me, but thats just luck.

In its original incarnation, the XT800, and its design purpose it made perfect sense. A PA is always going to get fed the kind of signal levels needed.

With our useage its different. Even flat out, your not going to light the LEd when playing softly. Maybe the level at which it comes on should have been changed during the revision. Its not something I even though of. Ill have a word with MAT.

OK. Clarification on the Signal light. It is not a "signal comming in" light - it is a "signal going out" light. So - its not affected by how hot you hit it - but what the amp is actually putting out.

They assume you know there is "A" signal because you have sound. Its set at around -9db. Its actually calibrtated on power out not signal out so basically when it starts to flicker, the amp is giving 50W into an 8 Ohms cab - or 30W into an 4 Ohm cab.

Its an indication of how hard the amp is working. If people want that changing they can. They see no point in lowering it - because as stated if you have sound you have a signal, however they could raise it to say -3db, so when it starts to flick, you have 3db of headroom before you start to clip - if thats what peopl want.

I thought they changed the input sensitivity so the amp "saw" the axe better ... so i'd say that the led would blink while playing is a logical result of this alteration of input sens ....

R

The LEDs are at the very output so the blink only if you are loud enough.

Its an indication of how hard the amp is working. If people want that changing they can. They see no point in lowering it - because as stated if you have sound you have a signal, however they could raise it to say -3db, so when it starts to flick, you have 3db of headroom before you start to clip - if thats what peopl want.

Given the amp power and the fact a lot of people will use it with a guitar cab, who usually is a "low" wattage one, the actual design is excellent.

Hello friends,a newcomer here with a couple of questions...I plan to use the axefx II with a verve12ma for some gigs in open air conditions and clubs as well.will the gt800fx come handy and if yes should I use it with power sims on?

The 12ma is an active monitor. You don't need a poweramp for that.
You can the GT800FX with the 12m (or other) passive speakers.

When using the Matrix, switch on the Poweramp simul. because the GT is a neutral amp.

This one is from the facebook site of Matrix. It is so beautifull.....

Christian:

Hi Matt!
After some testing alone at almost gig levels I was already thinking that the GT could replace my Engl 850/100, but after the first band rehearsal at gig volume I am now convinced and have already put the Engl on the shelf! Even the boys in the band did notice an improvement in overall sound though they couldn´t nail the reason ( I didn´t tell them that I was using my new poweramp). As a matter of fact the GT delivers more clarity in my sound from high-gain to ultra-cleans as well, brings out colours in my playing that I knew were somewhere but got lost in the former signal path. After changing from my old Marshall 9005/50W to the Engl I recognized a massive improvement of my sound (tighter lows, transparent mids and singing highs), but changing from Engl to the GT is even a bigger step forward. I truly didn´t expect such a difference into the positive. I am very impressed and want to congratulate Matrix Amplification and the guys that contributed for developing such a great product. WOW!
As soon as I can afford it I will get a second one just as a backup, weight is not an issue anymore.
Best regards,

I must say it I can not resist: You are more then welcome :p

Last edited:
Hello friends,a newcomer here with a couple of questions...I plan to use the axefx II with a verve12ma for some gigs in open air conditions and clubs as well.will the gt800fx come handy and if yes should I use it with power sims on?

I'm using the Axe (I) with a Verve 12M which sounds good. Since weight is important for me (every kilo/pound counts) I chose to have a separate amp and passive speakers. Haven't gigged with it yet though.

Playing a big concert tomorrow with the Matrix for the first time :) I didn't received my FRFR speaker yet, so I'll play with two Marshall 4x12 instead, with speaker sim on and a tweak on the global EQ to compensate for the guitar speakers. Not an Ideal setup, but I can't switch my speaker sims off (going straight to the mixer). I tested it on rehearsal, at least there's plenty of power (1/3 vol on my axe, 2/3 on the Matrix), and the two stacks behind me looks good :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom