The Mystery (or at least to me) that is the FXL block

WITELITE

Experienced
I've read the Wiki's and searched some of the posts (Thank you Roland) to try and get a better understanding of how this FXL actually works

My intent is to get the GR55 into the Axe for more flexibility and "Roland" has given me some good ideas here. So I've got the magnetic and Piezo into input 1 (L/R) and the GR55 Synth output into input 2 (L/R). Output 1 feeds my backline (RCFs) and output 2 (or at least the plan) was to feed the PA. What's cool about this is that the modifiers can bypass the FXL and turn the synth on and off (eliminating some tap dancing) so for example when a guitar solo triggers I can boost the volume and take out the organ patch as an example.

Here is what the manual says about this.

Effects Loop [FXL]
The Axe-Fx II has a full-stereo effects loop that can be used to insert outboard hardware anywhere in the signal chain of a preset. Any signal at the input of the [FXL] block is passed to the physical OUTPUT 2 (“FX SEND”) on the Axe-Fx II. Any signal received at the physical INPUT 2 (“FX RETURN”) appears at the outputs of [FXL].
The Effects Loop block is frequently used to insert the preamp section of a head or combo. The main output of the Axe-Fx is then routed to the effect loop input of the real amp.
Alternate Use as an Auxiliary Output or Input
The FX Loop Block doubles as a means to provide an auxiliary output or Input. Feeding signal to the [FXL] block routes signal directly to the OUTPUT 2 jacks. This is useful, for instance, to send a fully processed mix to the front-of-house while simultaneously feeding a (real) onstage power amp and speaker cabs.
Alternatively, you might use the INPUTS and not the OUTPUTS so the [FXL] block allows a second input signal to enter the grid at any point. Instruments with more than 2 outputs (rare but not unheard of) can thus be utilized.
The FX Loop block has a MIX page with LEVEL, BALANCE, and BYPASS MODE parameters.
Each Axe-Fx II preset can use one FX Loop block.

So if I insert the FXL as a standalone in say the top right of the effect grid, output 1 works like a charm. However, nothing from output 2.

If I then add a connection from the guitar signal chain to the same upper right FXL, the guitar signal is sent to output 2 (which is what I understood from above) but the signal from the GR55 is not present on output 2 (This is the part that is confusing me)

In short, I'm trying to figure how to send the Input 2 signal (GR55) to output 1 and output 2 using the FXL. I've gotten output 1 to work (as described above) but can't figure out how to send it to output 2 even though it says "Feeding signal to the [FXL] block routes signal directly to the OUTPUT 2 jacks"

I'm sure "user error" but is there something I'm overlooking here?

Feeding signal to the [FXL] block inside the Axe FX grid routes signal directly to the hardware OUTPUT 2 jacks.
Feeding signal to the hardware INPUT 2 jacks, routes signal to the [FXL] block output inside the Axe FX grid.
Hardware INPUT2 (effects return) is not routed directly to OUTPUT2 (effects send) because this would cause feedback when used as an effects loop.

"Feeding signal to the [FXL] block routes signal directly to the OUTPUT 2 jacks"

the "signal" being mentioned is internal from the blocks in the layout. a signal from the physical input 2 is not sent directly to the output 2 physical jacks.

that's why you're only getting the synth sound at output 1. i'll see if i can figure something out for you later.

It's probably possible to use the Feedback send and return to route the signal from the ouput of FXL to the input of FXL in the grid.

the "signal" being mentioned is internal from the blocks in the layout. a signal from the physical input 2 is not sent directly to the output 2 physical jacks.

that's why you're only getting the synth sound at output 1. i'll see if i can figure something out for you later.

Thanks. Just glad it's something not blatantly obvious! Appreciate the help/expertise

MM

It's probably possible to use the Feedback send and return to route the signal from the ouput of FXL to the input of FXL in the grid.

This is possible. I did this in Andy Wood's rig using the AxeFx as a mixer for two preamp signals. The layout will screw with your brain, but it is possible.

Thanks. Hoping for something less complex but certainly interested. I guess the fall back is to use both output 1's (TRS and XLR) though.

edit...

yeah use both output 1s or you can find another way to get your synth signal in (aby mixer).

boy lot's of edit's for me tonight. must be the fw10 fever!

Last edited:
You cant send a signal TO your synth, then return it to the AFX, then route it to OP 2. The send to the synth IS the OP2.

If you feed the roland direct, then its fairly easy. Place the FXL block anywhere, then use the feedback send as the next block and the return as the block before it. That will feed the synth OP directly to OP2.

What we really need to know is how your feeding the Roland (or how you want to feed the roland), and how many discrete outputs you need - and what they consist of.

You cant send a signal TO your synth, then return it to the AFX, then route it to OP 2. The send to the synth IS the OP2.

If you feed the roland direct, then its fairly easy. Place the FXL block anywhere, then use the feedback send as the next block and the return as the block before it. That will feed the synth OP directly to OP2.

What we really need to know is how your feeding the Roland (or how you want to feed the roland), and how many discrete outputs you need - and what they consist of.

Thanks. SO FXL--->---->FBR----->FBS?

I guess my other issue is the guitar patch already uses FBS and FBR. Maybe more trouble than worth. I might just blend to output 1 and use the two output 1 connections.

MM

Back
Top Bottom