The end of my G.A.S.

OK, I have been very hesitant to post my review of the Axe-fx Ultra because I wanted to make sure I was clearly out of the honeymoon phase. I feel like I am now ready to give my honest opinion on this black box of tone.

A little background; I am a casual player. I have played the guitar for over 20 years in some form or fashion. Had a few bands. Played a lot in the basement just jamming. I joined the military in '97 and laid the guitar down for a short while. Once I moved to Japan in '99 I started finding incredible deals on vintage equipment (think Roland RE-201 space Echos for about $40) I have gone through an incredible amount of gear in the past few years. After meeting Robert Keeley, he turned me on to Harmony-Central Effects forum in 2001. I then met some of the dirtiest gear junkies imaginable in those forums. Sick, twisted, obsessed individuals who spend every cent earned on the newest boutique amps, guitars and effects. I learned a lot about gear through HC and The Gear Page.
I have owned many types of gear ranging from the Boss DS-1 to a full Marshall stack. I went through my "boutique phase" and spent a lot of money on some great gear and some VERY hyped gear. My first dabble into the multi-effects/modeling arena was a Digitech RP2000. I bought it on a whim from some cash I won in a slot machine. It was digital and noisy and I had NO idea how to program it or what certain things were supposed to be used for. I was, however, intrigued that for the first time, I was playing a "dimed" sound through headphones and recording clips at 130 AM while my wife and kid were in bed. I remember wishing it had better sound, though. When I would play with a band at that time it was through a few typical pedals (Boss, Ibanez, BK Butler, DOD, etc...) into a combo amp (Peavey, Marshall, Fender, etc...) At the time I didn't think I "pushed enough air" so I bought a Marshall head and some cabs. What a pain in the ass. Then I found Mesa Boogie. I loved the Mark series. I ended up keeping a Blue Angel (EL-84/6v6 simul-class) and a Mark IV (EL34/6L6 simul-class) to cover the spectrum of sounds I was looking for. My pedal board was the size of a warehouse pallet and cost god-knows-what to assemble.
See...
IMG_4526.jpg

So anyways, I missed playing through headphones and lucked into a thread started by MrMunky at HC about the Tonelab SE. I bought one and was hooked. The sounds were getting very good. It was limited, but very usable and EASY. I had a few issues with it, but for the most part, really enjoyed the Tonelab. A couple of years later I saw a new thread by the same MrMunky about the Axe-Fx. He was raving about the tone and responsiveness. Then he posted a clip... holy shit.
This black box seemed like the modeling/multi world had finally arrived. I saw the price-tag... holy shit. How am I gonna talk the wife into this?
Well, I didn't I ended up selling a bunch of the gear that I had been collecting over the years in hopes that the Ultra would be one of the few pieces of gear that lived up to the hype. I bought the Ultra in April 09.

The Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra is the best piece of musical gear I have ever purchased, bar none. That is a pretty bold statement coming from an ex-gear junkie. I say "ex" gear junkie because I haven't GAS'd for an effect or new amp since I bought it. My wife can't believe it! The only amp purchase I've made since buying the Ultra was the Atomic Reactor FRFR (I want another one!) I sold almost all of my other gear. Amps...gone. Pedals...almost all gone. I just don't need them anymore. Everyone that hears the Axe-Fx is blown away. I have gone through 4 semesters of the Masters of Guitar through Berklee College of Music online and recorded EVERY assignment using the Axe-Fx. I get compliments on my tone on almost every assignment. It makes me play better. It makes me smile. It makes me experiment.
The only thing I GAS for anymore are new guitars. I think I'm going to buy the new James Tyler Variax just to see how far they've come with that technology. I'm thinking I can get some great tones running that through the Axe.

Bottom line--I LOVE MY AXE-FX ULTRA. I don't care what new gear is coming out because I'm content with my tone and versatility. I still read some of the gear forums, but it is just out of habit. I see threads like "I wish there was a pedal that could make this sound" or "I can't get my amp so sound like'..." and I think. You poor suckers. I have owned this box for 1 year and 8 months and it still feels NEW! I can't get over that. I have not had one moment with the Axe-Fx when I was bored.

Thank you Cliff!

The Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra is the best piece of musical gear I have ever purchased, bar none.

I agree.

I have been a gearhead for 20 years and never got as much pure enjoyment and satisfaction from a guitar product that wasn't an actual guitar!

It makes me play better. It makes me smile. It makes me experiment.

Yes, yes, yes!

Nice review, and I agree completely. Good to see you happy with it.

I did buy some stuff after getting the Axe, but it weren't amps or pedals. One guitar, switches and expression pedal, bag/case, studio monitors, various stage monitors. Hmm, more than I thought. And an Egnater Rebel that I bought as backup (and reference), but I haven't played it more than 10 times ... Time to sell it.

Couldn't agree more. GAS for gear has been cured; only thing that still gets me is the occasional guitar induced case.

And the comment about it being the best piece of gear; once again I couldn't agree more. I read the hype...everything is hyped up and very little ever lives up to the hype. And the sad part is that we don't hold manufacturers accountable. The AxeFX is the first piece of gear (hell, anything electronic) that I've bought in my life that exceeded my expectations based on the hype machine!

It's not perfect, it's not for everyone, but if you really take a look at what all is in that box, what it does and the quality the price makes it an incredible value IMHO. People seem to lump all modellers into the same category and ask why such and such only costs $300 so this is obviously overpriced. Then you hear all the whining about having to settle and make compromises in their tone and how they can't wait for that company to release the next big product. Or if you are lucky enough to be able to deal with it or even like it they drop all support of the product before they even got all the bugs worked out.

The AxeFX is the best value out there. And this is coming from a tightwad.

Porkchop Xpress said:
I have owned this box for 1 year and 8 months and it still feels NEW!

+1 on that! I've owned mine since October 09 and i still get excited everytime i turn it on :D

I've been playing the black box for 3-1/2 years. Daily.

I still laugh out loud because it's so fun. On gigs, I've gotten so lost in the moment thinking, "Damn! That sounds fookin' GREAT!" that I've missed cues and have to scramble to recover a bit. That I can get all this from a box, a controller and some expression pedals after owning all the gear I've owned and used all these years (and I too am a freaking gearhead addict from way back)... cracks me up. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating because it's just this little rig in contrast with some of the beastly rigs I've run in the past.

Glad you are enjoying the ride. I am too. It's nice to be here saying that to you!

Buying the AxeFX to me was like marrying the right woman.
Although there are other good looking options out there I know that everything I'd ever need is already waiting for me at home. After 2.5 year still in honeymoon.

:shock: :D

:shock:
Lots of parallels ...
Porkchop Xpress said:
... a clip... holy shit.
This black box seemed like the modeling/multi world had finally arrived. I saw the price-tag... holy shit. How am I gonna talk the wife into this? ...
The Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra is the best piece of musical gear I have ever purchased, bar none. ...
It makes me play better. It makes me smile. It makes me experiment.
The only thing I GAS for anymore are new guitars. I think I'm going to buy the new James Tyler Variax just to see how far they've come with that technology. I'm thinking I can get some great tones running that through the Axe.
Bottom line--I LOVE MY AXE-FX ULTRA. I don't care what new gear is coming out because I'm content with my tone and versatility. ... I see threads like "I wish there was a pedal that could make this sound" or "I can't get my amp so sound like'..." and I think. You poor suckers. I have owned this box for ... and it still feels NEW! I can't get over that. I have not had one moment with the Axe-Fx when I was bored.
Thank you Cliff!
Wow ... Tyler Variax ... exactely ... monitors (on the way), additional footcontroller with pedals (almost on the way) and maybe a Tele ... hmmm ... Les Paul ...? I'm already satisfied, though.

Totally agree!

The only problem is what to do when the new polyfonic Axe-Fx comes out :mrgreen:

Porkchop Express, you weren't a Navy Supply Officer, by chance, were you? Just noticing the military statement and your name...

Back
Top Bottom