The Drive block is being "G3'd" for the next firmware release

that's great: loocking forward for the fuzz models. Apart from these drive for mighty-dirty bluesy tones, I play more than 90% with amp drive only.

I hope there will be teasers, like the tube drive before and after etc. and more tube drives... and more of the stuff I want for me only.. :devilish: lol kidding ^^

not to derail this thread, but while we are on the topic of new additions to the Drive block... I'd love to see the Mix control behaviour changed or another option added. a simple "mix" function would be great, where Mix acts the same way as it does in the Compressor block or as can be found in some drive pedals. similar to parallel compression I'd like to be able to simply mix the Drive block to the original signal without having to use an additional Mixer block. it used to be like that in the Axe's beginning, but was fixed as it being a "bug". a good bug IMHO and there have been a few threads about this in the past requesting back that behaviour...

And they sound awesome now, if I do say so. And I've gone beyond the models. In addition to the existing clip types there is now a "Variable" clip type with an associated "Clip Shape" parameter. So you can take a Tube Screamer and make it soft and smooth or raspy and gnarly. IMHO, it makes the models sound better than the actual pedals in many cases.

This is the reason I bought the Axe-Fx II, so I can go above and beyond static historical tones and FX and make sounds I can call my own :)

Since it's a work in progress, I imagine some of our ideas here may make it in, the variable clip type and shaping is huge, no need for a dedicated Bass Distortion if there's a blend control, or a multi-band type, so you can shape highs and lows independently!

Honestly I could care less if we get a Klon, or a B7K (far less impressed by that pedal then most seem to be - too gritty for bass to my ear, I like bass to growl, not grit, though might be good for guitar!) with this update, but guessing we might see one, or both "soon", while it's not really a drive pedal, I would like to see this strange boost/buffer from the Schaffer Vega Diversity System, a wireless unit that Angus Young actually used to record with:

The "Secret" of Angus Young's Classic AC/DC Guitar Sound? | GuitarPlayer

Schaffer-Vega Diversity System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it's a bit like The Edge using the SDD Pre as part of his tone.

That's the Mix, isn't it?

Not mix.
It was discussed a bit in this thread; http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/98689-drive-block.html

Drive blocks pass some dry signal through even with the mix on 100 %.
A couple of firmware versions ago it drove me nuts, I heard way too much dry signal bleeding through.
I compared the BB block with my real BB pedal and there was a big difference.
So I haven't used the drive blocks lately, tried the BB just now and it's much better in Fw 18.12
It might have been a bug, who knows...
But I still hear a little bit more dry bleed in the drive block than the real thing.
So I thought that it would be nice to be able to control how much much dry signal is bled through the virtual diodes, or whatever is happening inside the block...

Back
Top Bottom