The Different Ways to Low Pass

bjosephs

In working through some mix problems I noticed just how different the cab "High Cut" function is from the options available in the filter block. So, I did some tests and attached are some files for anyone interested. "Basics" has a raw clip, just a boosted SLO and cab, along with the DI. In 500Hz and 5000Hz respectively there are files demonstrating the audible impact of the different options: The cab Hi Cut, the filter Hi Cut with both 2nd and 4th order options, and the selectable Low Pass of the filter block with a Q of .707.

What was interesting to me is just how much high frequency energy is getting through the cab blocks high cut function - there's a sizzle present even when you filter all the way down to 200Hz. Obviously no one does that normally so these very low frequency clips are just for analysis. Some might say even 5kHz is too far but with how much is getting by the cab filter, depending on your goal, the cab block just might not be doing the trick.

Attachments

• 500HZ.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5000HZ.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Basics.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Do both blocks have the same filter slope applied? I don't recall if that was an option on Axe Fx II or not...

Do both blocks have the same filter slope applied? I don't recall if that was an option on Axe Fx II or not...

The filter block has two options, both represented here, but the cab hi cut has no options available for slope. I have no idea what’s under the hood but to me it sounds like something that relies on more than just slope.

Are you using the Air parameter in the cab block? That mixes in some of the raw unfiltered input signal from the cab block input.

According to page 52 of the manual, the Cab block does have a Slope control.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf#page62

Indeed it does, can’t believe I overlooked it. Thank you. I have it set to 12db/octave which is the steeper option. I apparently also misunderstood the filter order on the filter block page - it affects the parametric band, not the low pass.

According to the manual the filter block HC is first order. Going back over the files I have and getting a 6db/O version on the cab block - cab block at 6db sounds identical to filter block built in high cut. It is just a difference of slope that leaves all that high frequency behind. So if one wants a real brick wall then the filter block’s “low pass” type with 4th order is the best option of these options.

Back
Top Bottom