The Devin Townsend Challenge

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
All,

In celebration of Toontrack's Metal Month, Devin Townsend has been challenged to write and record a new song live on a web stream. He will naturally be using his Axe-Fx II.

Check it out at http://www.toontrack.com/metal-month/#

The event is Thursday Nov. 19th (this Thursday) 7:00pm - 9:00pm CST (Chicago time)

Attachments

• Devin_facebook-1.jpg
    Devin_facebook-1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 11
That was simply amazing. Devin is so inspiring, entertaining and a consummate musician. Absolutely loved it!

Thanks, Matt and Fractal for helping make it happen. It was great. An honest snapshot of Dev at work and being himself. Any chance you can coax him into sharing his new Quantum rhythm patch? :D

Thanks for posting the end result swervedriver. I had that melody stuck in my head when I went to bed last night so it was nice to listen to the tune right away this morning.

btw - I loved seeing the Swedish Chef in the studio too. :)

Last edited:
Anyone who can use the preset 'The Abyss' is obviously over my head.

This was very cool & informative. Fractal in the studio is awesome
- Thanks to Devin, Toontrack & Fractal

The song structure, composition & playing was great.

That said; (understanding this was for the internet)...this is exactly what I don't like in a lot of todays music = i.e. very produced & recordings sound flat

A bit old school I know; but I miss the days of sounding live in a studio (ck put the new WSP Street Dogs)

Thanks again & kudos to all involved

JD

Watched the entire broadcast. What an incredible talent and a kick a** attitude! Learned some very, very helpful tips. Looking forward to watching again once it's available so I can take some notes.... literally!

His tones were freaking killer! (of course).

I was hoping he would touch on what his process is for dialing in his tones so they sit so well in the mix (for his application). He ended up with such a great sounding mix that wasn't even "mixed". What is his process to achieve this for all of his tracks?

I know there are basic fundamentals that help one achieve this but I wanted to hear what "he" does.

Thanks M@ for posting this. I would have missed it!

Back
Top Bottom