The 250 Greatest Guitarists of All Time (again)

I just don't like that they rate guitarists higher if they wrote great songs. That's fine, if that's what you want the list to BE. Then call it greatest songwriter-guitarists. But putting Kurt Cobain higher than ________ makes no sense in a list with this title! (Insert whatever guitarist he ranked higher than, but is obviously NOT better than, because even though I didn't read the list, I KNOW it's in there!)

I just don't like that they rate guitarists higher if they wrote great songs. That's fine, if that's what you want the list to BE. Then call it greatest songwriter-guitarists. But putting Kurt Cobain higher than ________ makes no sense in a list with this title! (Insert whatever guitarist he ranked higher than, but is obviously NOT better than, because even though I didn't read the list, I KNOW it's in there!)
I hear this, but for me it goes a bit deeper. Example is Pete Townshend, one of the best things about seeing him in person is how inextricably linked his guitar parts and songs are, and how even "better" guitarists would be hard pressed to improve on them. Tommy Emmanuel playing Behind Blue Eyes? Well sure, but...

Cobain? I love Nirvana, and his approach/sound or whatever might have been a sea change in guitar influence for players in the 90s, but he wouldn't make my list.

I just don't like that they rate guitarists higher if they wrote great songs. That's fine, if that's what you want the list to BE. Then call it greatest songwriter-guitarists. But putting Kurt Cobain higher than ________ makes no sense in a list with this title! (Insert whatever guitarist he ranked higher than, but is obviously NOT better then because even though I didn't read the list, I KNOW it's in there!)

Those who can, do. Those who cannot compile lists for Rolling Stone based upon their subjective opinions, but present it with a level of self confidence that betrays their actual comprehension of the topics upon which they are writing about.

People say this all the time. I have no idea what you/they are talking about. Seriously, when was it any good?

It was good right up until the moment the very first issue hit the stands. From that point on it has been an extension of Wenner’s ego, just like the RnRHOF.

thanks for reminding me how useless RS Magazine is. Not sure what's more aburd. Vince Gil in the 200's or the nobodies (to me) that follow??

I like the list, for one because it dispenses with the idea that you can actually rank how good guitarists are, especially among differing styles.

RS's earlier top 100 list from 2011 was compiled by "older, classic rockers", and the list is obvious and pretty boring in my book. Does anyone really care how 100 mostly famous guitarists rate against each other? Or if Clapton is #4, or #34? Or whether a guitarist like Tommy Emmanuel, with tens of millions of YT plays made it on the list?

This "250 greats" list is jammed with all sorts of guitarists to get turned on to, and if you are focused on the winners and losers, IMO you are missing out on part of the fun, and the music.

Lastly, I know SO many guitarists that play circles around so many players on the list, so I'm just used to these lists being popularity contests, so why not shake it up?

So difficult to say who is best or top 10 etc. Guitarist / Musicians are so different and different styles etc.
There is so many favorites like Steve Lukather, Gary Moore, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Al Di Meola, Mark Knopfler, Adres Segovia, Lari Basilio etc. etc., list continuing endless.

But this topic remind me one joke that I heard many years ago:

"There were three man living in the same street (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and one old man)

Satriani said "Im best guitarist in whole world"
Steve Vai said "Im best guitarist in Universe"
Old man said "Im the best guitarist in this street"

I don't know if Steve and Joe heard this joke, but sure they smile for it.

Back
Top Bottom