Temple Audio Question

Fej180

I'm looking for a pedalboard to mount my AX8 to, along with my 2 expression pedals and my Polytune. I really like the design and options of the Temple Audio but I've seen some posts with people having to cut the power cable. I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about it, or something I'm missing. Seems like you shouldn't have to cut it, although I assume if there were a better way they wouldn't have to cut the cord.

Any tips or tricks?

You can't pass the ends of the power cable through the holes in the Temple board. So you either have to keep the power cord on the top or cut it, route through a hole, and reassemble it.

Ok thanks....seems like a pretty big design flaw, but maybe they had their reasons. I'll probably still settle on that one anyway lol

I think they were optimizing for people passing little DC power cables through the board not a standard IEC cable.

I LOVE my TA Board. I just run any cables I have on the top of the board, and secure them neatly with zip ties.

I don't recommend every cutting metal, it will hurt the overall strength of the board. I bought a $5 power cord on Amazon, cut it, fed it through and reconnected the wires. Super easy and you only have to do it once.

I don't recommend every cutting metal, it will hurt the overall strength of the board. I bought a $5 power cord on Amazon, cut it, fed it through and reconnected the wires. Super easy and you only have to do it once.

I don’t think a small cut would result in an engineering failure, but agree, easiest option would be just cut the cable, then reconnect the wires. Will be good as new.

I just trimmed/shaved down the end of the power cord that goes into the AX8 side until I could wedge it through. I didn't get crazy just enough to get it through. It still fits snug in the AX8 and I've had it this way for over a year with no issues.

I'm looking for a pedalboard to mount my AX8 to, along with my 2 expression pedals and my Polytune. I really like the design and options of the Temple Audio but I've seen some posts with people having to cut the power cable. I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about it, or something I'm missing. Seems like you shouldn't have to cut it, although I assume if there were a better way they wouldn't have to cut the cord.

Any tips or tricks?

I'm currently setting up a Temple Audio Duo 28 (custom cut) and I've been loving it.

It does take much more planning than a typical velcro board, but I really like how clean everything is coming out. It's one of those projects where you'll do yourself a huge favor to plan and obsess (over several days) about the layout before you lay down your first pedal.

Regarding the power cable, I brought a Ciox Big John that has a convenience IEC jack, a IEC repair plug ($10 on Amazon), and a light gauge IEC cable. I chopped and tinned the wires of the cable (you have to tin with the adapter I used), and assembled. Not exactly hard work, but you need to be comfortable with the job because it's easy to cause a short and fry yourself and your gear.

I've seen other people shave the corners of the cable with a utility knife. Not exactly elegant, but if you wrap a little electrical tape around the end (just in case) when you're done you'll be fine. As long as you don't see copper/metal when you're done shaving you're OK. It's not like you'll be unplugging the cable every day.

You could also use a metal file, dremel, or jigsaw to enlarge one of the existing holes. Obviously mask off the top of the board if you do this to prevent scratches. It will have zero impact on the structure of the board.

Regardless of what you do, I recommend getting a much shorter cable from Amazon for a few bucks. Try to go lighter gauge, like 18ga. That's plenty for the AX8 and the cable will be much more flexible for routing and you'll have less chance for AC noise.

I ended up getting some shorter screws after removing the rubber feet per Fractal recommendation. But I later fond this probably wasn't necessary. PM me if you decide you want to use shorter screws - I had to buy a bag of 100 and have plenty of extras I can stick in the mail.

Last edited:
Wow thanks everyone for the helpful info. And thanks to petesv650 for your generous offer. I tried buying some shorter screws at hardware store a few weeks back based on the Fractal recommendation, but they didn't have the right size. Anyway, I think I'm sold on the Temple Audio Trio 28. It should be enough space for me to lay everything out in the way I want it, but I have to do a bit more planning before I place the order.

Back
Top Bottom