Talk me out of (or into) buying a Suhr Guitar

<-- That's my Suhr Classic S, in my profile pic. It is the best instrument that I have ever owned (I play multiple other instruments). I love everything about it, it's simply a sublime instrument. Since you get free returns, give it a shot - if the neck is the wrong profile for you, no harm no foul.

A note about how good the neck on this guitar is - I currently have two guitars, the Suhr, and a Chapman ML1-RS, that I've upgraded the pickups in. The Chapman is a surprisingly nice instrument, it punches well above its weight. I keep my Suhr in its case, and the Chapman on a stand. Being a fundamentally lazy human being, for a while I started picking the Chapman up to play everyday, since it's right there, on the stand. And like I said, it's a great guitar, I had no complaints in the time I was playing it (this was over a period of about a month or so). Then one day, I wanted to play the Suhr, so I opened the case, and grabbed the neck to take it out...and man, the neck is just so perfectly contoured for my hand, it was like I regained a lost limb. Just the act of picking it up made me realize what I'd been missing for that prior month. I really don't mean to be dramatic, but I haven't played the Chapman since that day - this was about 3 months ago.

I have three Suhrs, and love 'em all.

First, I have a Suhr Super Strat HSS the same as this one (that's not me in the video, but I don't have a photo of mine):

Next, I have a Suhr Aged Cherry Burst Standard with the roasted maple neck for those who like the HSH config:

Suhr Aged Cherry Burst.png

Then I have a Suhr Guthrie Govan Signature model in Bengal Burst - probably the most versatile guitar in my (large) collection:

Suhr Guthrie Govan Bengal Burst.jpg

Once you've played a Suhr, you'll realise why they command such high prices... My opinion? Go for it...!!!!

I own a Suhr Modern Custom and an Ibanez AZ2204 (and Strandberg).

The Ibanez AZ neck is a little too thick and round for my tastes. My Suhr has the Elliptical .800"-.850" which is smaller and perfect for me. I love the Suhr and will probably never sell it. My only complaint is that it has a slightly dead note at the G string 12th fret. I've seen a few Modern owners report the same issue, but I don't think the problem is that common.

Ricardo, I saw in one of your later posts in this thread that you can't try it first? I currently own a phenomenal Suhr Modern Pro, but before I got there, I had serious problems with two other Suhrs (one Modern Satin, and one other Modern Pro). The issue was dead notes. I'd never ever seen that issue on any other guitar, but they were deal-breaker issues on two different Suhr models. I thought I was the only guy in the world with this issue, but google it, you'll find it's unfortunately somewhat common. I don't know what causes it, and I don't think we'll ever know. But check around before committing, do your research, and make sure you have ample freedom of what reasons can justify a return. Some shops may insist that something actually has to be broken before a return is authorized, and a dead note may not qualify.

In the end, I got a great Modern Pro, but still I play my Tom Anderson 99.9% of the time.

Yes, they were. I assumed since Guthrie uses both the the necks were very similar... But maybe it's even changed on the new USA?

I did notice the when looking on their site before, which is really cool!

Good to know. Is that stock or custom?

Regarding the USA GG, new ones seem to be unavailable due to demand, which I believe is why they created the Japanese version. I've only played one USA model about 3 years ago, and it was a bigger C profile, very comfy.

When I ordered my MJ GG from Wildwood, I picked the one with the biggest neck. Wildwood installed my preferred string brand/gauge, set the action to my preference, gave me a $150 discount, and didn't charge sales tax (an additional $200 off). So I'm a little biased...:)

The toggle switch is stock on the MJ models. I don't think it was available on the earlier USA models, but appears to be now.

I have a Suhr Modern HSH and it is one of my favorite guitars. Its pretty hard to go wrong with a Suhr. They build great guitars and they stand behind them with very good customer support. If you have the opportunity to play it in person that is always the best bet. You'll never know whether it will work for you until you play it. Another plus is that the resale value is very good if you decide that it isn't quite what you're looking for.

I have a Suhr Modern HSH and it is one of my favorite guitars. Its pretty hard to go wrong with a Suhr. They build great guitars and they stand behind them with very good customer support. If you have the opportunity to play it in person that is always the best bet. You'll never know whether it will work for you until you play it. Another plus is that the resale value is very good if you decide that it isn't quite what you're looking for.

I had a Suhr Modern HSH, outstanding guitar-right up there with Tom Andersons. Only reason I sold it was the pickups were not my cup of tea and the nut was a bit narrow(1.65, like a strat). If I wouldn't have had my MJ GG at the same time, I'd probably still own the Suhr.

To the OP; ask the question, "how many folks have experienced dead frets on a Suhr Modern". While I don't think it's a widespread problem, it's prevalent enough to give me pause

Play before you buy

I should add that I bought a Suhr modern satin 2nd hand just before COVID. When I got round to setting it up I found that the truss rod nut had been stripped. Suhr sent over a new truss nut to the UK.
Over time with the same guitar - I just could not get the neck straight and the nut was maxed out.

I contacted Suhr who arranged for my guitar to be sent to them and a new neck built. It took 6 months but was well worth the wait. It is my favourite guitar.

I prefer the Wizard one with bigger jumbo frets.
The original 17mm-19mm spec?

None of the suggested guitars have similar neck profiles.

That's .669-.748 inches.

I have many guitars with those necks and loved them for a many, many years.

Now, they feel too thin to me :)

You may be able to find a modern with a .78” neck. That would be a custom order for a new one but they show up for sale once in a while.
You can also look for an Anderson Angel with an Even C -.02” neck.

You may be able to find a modern with a .78” neck. That would be a custom order for a new one but they show up for sale once in a while.
You can also look for an Anderson Angel with an Even C -.02” neck.
I have both and prefer them to the default specs in both cases...

Suhr makes great guitars. They put out more of them than other boutique builders because they are all that and lots of people know it. So the increased volume increases the possibility of a problem one, here and there. Simple math and not a knock on the company.

Then there’s also the fact that it’s used. Never know who did what with it, or when.

If you’re not comfortable with the neck on the Ibanez and there’s a return policy for the Suhr…why not? If you’ve got a tech you like and trust, let him know you’ve got it coming in and set up a date to have it checked out. If it’s the usual excellent quality Suhr guitar and the neck feels right; then you’ve got a keeper for life.

Last edited:
I would never talk anyone out of buying a Suhr.
Suhr necks are the best in the business IMO. If your buying used, you should have no problem recouping your money in the slight chance you don't like it.

Attachments

• Suhr Classic T 001.jpg
    Suhr Classic T 001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Suhr Standard 0002.jpg
    Suhr Standard 0002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Suhr Modern Burl 2.jpg
    Suhr Modern Burl 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
I would never talk anyone out of buying a Suhr.
Suhr necks are the best in the business IMO. If your buying used, you should have no problem recouping your money in the slight chance you don't like it.
Damn those are all nice but that green burl! Beauty!

I have both and prefer them to the default specs in both cases...
I’ve gone the other way. My Suhr has an Even C Medium and a 1.687” nut. My Anderson has an Even Taper that measures .81” and it’s a bit too thin for me. My new favorite necks are my PRS 594’s Vintage Pattern which is .88” asymmetrical. They are very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom