Talk me out of (or into) buying a Strandberg Guitar

thank you - i've been seeking an alternative to the Fender A Frame Stand
I have the Quick Lok on its way and should be here tomorrow. I got the exact Fender A Frame you did when I purchased my Strandberg and besides the one I received having some serious machining tolerance issues it has proven not a great choice. There are several aspects of the Quick Lok that make it seem to be perfect. Mainly the neck support.

I own a Strandberg Boden 8 from the Swedish custom shop. It’s definitely a great instrument, but the advice I’ve seen about the Indonesia models is to try before you buy.

Since budget isn’t an issue, perhaps consider getting a Japanese model. Those should be better made.

I own a Strandberg Boden 8 from the Swedish custom shop. It’s definitely a great instrument, but the advice I’ve seen about the Indonesia models is to try before you buy.

Since budget isn’t an issue, perhaps consider getting a Japanese model. Those should be better made.
Even if price is no object, I suggest that the OP try one out first because the Strandberg neck - among other things - is quite different. Their sold at Guitar Center, among other places.

Even if price is no object, I suggest that the OP try one out first because the Strandberg neck - among other things - is quite different. Their sold at Guitar Center, among other places.

Ah yes, as implied in the first part of my post, try before you buy (as with all instruments when possible).

I had no problem adjusting to the neck, or even to the fanned frets. But it could be hit or miss.

Ah yes, as implied in the first part of my post, try before you buy (as with all instruments when possible).

I had no problem adjusting to the neck, or even to the fanned frets. But it could be hit or miss.
The neck doesn’t bother me but I don’t find it that helpful either. A traditional neck allows me to put my thumb where I need it at any point in time without edges and additional thickness getting in the way.

I just noticed that frets 23 and 24 on my new ResQ model are not fully seated so I will find out how good their support and service is soon. I’ve owned over a hundred guitars and various makes and models over the years. I think the Strandberg is decent, but the build quality is not in line with the standard pricing. Fortunately, the ResQ is cheaper because it is being sold a factory refinished model.

The neck doesn’t bother me but I don’t find it that helpful either. A traditional neck allows me to put my thumb where I need it at any point in time without edges and additional thickness getting in the way.

I just noticed that frets 23 and 24 on my new ResQ model are not fully seated so I will find out how good their support and service is soon. I’ve owned over a hundred guitars and various makes and models over the years. I think the Strandberg is decent, but the build quality is not in line with the standard pricing. Fortunately, the ResQ is cheaper because it is being sold a factory refinished model.

The fan on my guitar is 26.5-28" and it's a bit easier to play in the lower registers. That said, I don't know if I can attribute that entirely to the neck design, as the only other 8-string I owned was a 27" RG2228.

Of course, that one was more difficult to play, so there is that.

Like headless a lot.
But tried one of my students Strandbergs and really hated the neck.
Not for me at all.
Otherwise I thought it was a cool guitar!

Yep, folks absolutely need to try them to see for themselves. If one is used to a more modern Fender neck carve the thickness isn't an issue (Wizard necks give me hand cramps) and I find the shape of neck including the edges actually provides a better anchor point than a rounded neck in many situations.

I was wanting a Strandberg a couple years ago. Tried a few, was very unimpressed after it all. The endure neck didn't offer me anything special outside of looking weird. The hardware is pretty junky to pit it mildly, and the quality control was atrocious on the few i tried, they all gave me the icks. If they were priced about 60% BELOW where they are now I might consider them a fair value, but the Indos should be about $700 new, and the others should cap at $1500. They're just cheapo crud guitars with a great look IMO.

I recently bought a Boden 8 with the Fishman Fluence pickups. I really like the guitar. It did not take long to get used to the neck. It does kind of force you more into a proper technique, especially the 8 string because the neck is huge. The guitar is super light and it is a little weird to pick it up the first time. For a 28" scale length instrument, the guitar is surprisingly small. I have had a lot of joy playing on this guitar, it is very easy to play once you get used to the neck. The guitar has a lot of tones between the 2 voicings and coil splitting. It sounds amazing.

I did have a minor issue with my guitar. Everything worked fine when I first got the guitar, but soon the neck pickup starting cutting out intermittently. I could push down on the face of the pickup and it would come back, but then go back out once I released pressure. I contacted Sweetwater and Strandberg about the issue. I really didn't want to have to ship the guitar back because I had already thrown away the box, I didn't want to have to go weeks without the guitar. Sweetwater and Strandberg both got in touch with me at the same time. I described the issue to both and Strandberg offered to simply ship out a new pickup. Fishman Fluence pickups are super easy to swap out. Two connectors and one solder joint. I'm happy to say that I swapped out the pickup and put on a new set of strings and we are back in business. I am very happy how well Sweetwater and Strandberg handled the issue and couldn't be happier.

I have heard that people have had trouble with some of the QC. I do have to say that this is the first guitar I bought from Sweetwater that had an issue. I don't know if they check out every instrument that they sell. It seems like they do photograph every instrument, so at minimum some kind of visual inspection has to take place. Anyway, it seems like if you don't like the guitar, you can always send it back. I'm not so sure about the multiscale on the 6s, but it is a big plus for the 7 and 8 string models. Overall, I would say go for it.

sad to hear about the QC issue with the p/up...
i bought my Boden+ NX8 with true temperament frets direct from .strandberg* (with 5 piece roasted maple neck)
i had heard about some of the QC issues, and raised my concerns to the sales rep.
he reassured me of their inspection prior to shipping, etc. etc.

of course she arrives and i immediately start experiencing what i refer to as "fret chirp" along the B and the G strings in the 5-7 fret positions (only when bending)
after adjusting the neck and the individual saddle action, the "chirping" is materially reduced, but still there
no noticeable twisting (using end-to-end of board, down the neck viewing) but the fret rocker gauge rocks slightly across the frets in those chirping areas :)
likely just needs a fret filing (hopefully)

FWIW, my NX6 purchased from Sweetwater plays like a champ - no issues.

Well I guess I was one lucky Mother F’r and got the only perfect Strandberg of the lot. There was not one thing wrong with my Boden NX6.🤔

Question to all Strandberg's owners..
- Do you suggest the fixed or tremolo version?

I'm used to floyds, edge, 510 etc.. and I prefer the idea of having a tremolo guitar (and in the worst scenario lock the bridge).
But due to tone and setup preferences, can you share any valuable thought?

Question to all Strandberg's owners..
- Do you suggest the fixed or tremolo version?

I'm used to floyds, edge, 510 etc.. and I prefer the idea of having a tremolo guitar (and in the worst scenario lock the bridge).
But due to tone and setup preferences, can you share any valuable thought?

For what it's worth, I played a used 6 string Boden a couple of years ago at a store, with the trem arm, and I really put it through its paces; it held tune just fine. I know the trem can be set up in two different spots, but on the one I played there was no real pull-up available. And after twenty minutes or so the screw holding in the 2nd string loosened on its own, detuning the string massively. I liked a lot about the guitar, and if I were to buy one, I'd not hesitate to get one with a trem. Now if they could just get rid of Ola's idea of perfect thumb placement and round the necks, I'd be very interested in the current models.

Unfortunately I don’t have one of each so as far as tone differences I can’t say. Also, this is speaking about the trems on the Boden NX6’s. It’s really a matter of if you want a trem or not. The trem is solid and no more complicated than a FR or any modern system. Just need to take the time to understand the mechanics involved. On the NX models there is room for pulling up. Not as extreme as a FR, but much more than a standard floating trem. There is a user error issue where the arm can be screwed in with too much force and bottom out and cause the pull up to be limited by a lot. The one area where a trem might be questionable is on the extended range (7 string). A fixed bridge could be less of an issue when drop tuning, etc.. However, I really haven’t heard any complaints.

I think the Strandberg EGS Pro Rev7 tremolo system functions great, holds tune and delivers excellent tone. In my mind they’re such unique guitars not having a trem would be missing something. But it’s really a matter of taste. If you can handle a FR or Edge system then there’s nothing to keep a person away. I would suggest if you think the guitar you got was not inspected first and was played a bunch in music store or similar I would just go over everything and make sure no one screwed it up.

Also, you have to be careful of reviews and understand what model and trem system the person is referring. There were some issues with the earlier revisions, but even then they were nothing that was a deal breaker. I’m sure there might be further refinements on upcoming models. This is just the way of design.

Grab one while some nice ones are 20% off. Last day!

Last edited:

Update: Strandberg swapped out the neck. All is well now.

Well I guess I was one lucky Mother F’r and got the only perfect Strandberg of the lot. There was not one thing wrong with my Boden NX6.🤔
My original 6 is pretty much perfect too. I have issues with it but not build quality.
tempImage3hkpku.jpg
tempImageAVU5cO.jpg
tempImageGOS9Gd.jpg
tempImage0cDB8t.jpg
I just put these up to show that most Strandbergs I see are no worse QC than most brands at a similar price. If people didn't know where it was made you would hardly see any moaning about the price or the QC. Let's also remember that Suhr and USA Fender just stoped writing "made in USA" on there instruments and the inclusion of an address without the important "made in" part has been around as a marketing ploy for ever. There are STILL people out there that think some HM Strats were made in the USA. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom