Talk me out of (or into) buying a Strandberg Guitar

Sorry to jump off topic, but what kind of gig bag comes with the Harley Benton Dullahan?
Also, how’s the neck and fretwork on the Dullahan?
I’ve thought about getting one for a travel guitar.

Dullahan comes with a good gigbag, but not near as nice as the Strandberg one (which is expected due to the price). Neck and fretwork on my Dullahan is fantastic really though not the profile is more like a modern Fender, if you like shredder necks this isn't like that. In fact it has bigger frets than the Strandberg which I like a bit better. I did have to shim the neck to get action where I wanted it to be (and ruined one of the brass bridge inserts figuring that out). Really, has no business being as nice as it is for ~$300.

Pics??????

Stand will be here tomorrow, I only have 1 low profile stand which won't hold it. Maybe it will hang on the wall, I'll check and if so post some pics later.

I have 2 Kiesel Zeus (headless) guitars. They are fine US made instruments. They are not inexpensive, but they are less costly than the Strandbergs if you don't go crazy with options. The necks on the Kiesels are smooth and rounded, unlike those on the Standberg. I find the Strandberg neck a bit weird feeling. Also, IMO the Kiesel has a better locking nut system. The Kiesels come with an excellent soft case that is extremely sturdy. I would have no concerns traveling with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
I got one of the limited edition blue models too. I love how light and compact it is. The tuners are a sticky pain but I knew that going in.

The thing about the tuners...they should be using a thrust bearing washer rather than plastic. Very surprised by that which seems like a lower end cost cutting thing on an otherwise more upscale feeling guitar

The thing about the tuners...they should be using a thrust bearing washer rather than plastic. Very surprised by that which seems like a lower end cost cutting thing on an otherwise more upscale feeling guitar
Yup, the tuners are a pain. You mention thrust bearings, have you installed those on your guitar and if so, do you have a link where they can be purchased? Thanks!

slight tangent here. Does anyone know a source for higher quality and precision thrust bearing washers
than the uxcell ones on amazon? approximately 3mm inner diameter, 8mm outer diameter.
I have them on a couple Steiny spirits and they help but are a bit sloppy.

Yup, the tuners are a pain. You mention thrust bearings, have you installed those on your guitar and if so, do you have a link where they can be purchased? Thanks!
They came stock on my Benton Dullahan, totally smooth without friction. I replaced the bridge (long story) and even the cheap replacement had them. I'm going to see if the ones from the original Benton bridge fit, no idea of the exact measurements to buy a replacement but they are cheap, shouldn't be more than a handful of dollars on Amazon.

slight tangent here. Does anyone know a source for higher quality and precision thrust bearing washers
than the uxcell ones on amazon? approximately 3mm inner diameter, 8mm outer diameter.
I have them on a couple Steiny spirits and they help but are a bit sloppy.
Sloppy how, bad quality? Are you running 3 washers (metal, thrust, metal)?

Yes. It's like you turn it but there's some play there so you might have to go back and
forth to settle in and hope you get the right position for the tuning.
Subtle, but I'd gladly pay more for some real precision parts.
(On one i have the original trem bridge and the other is 3rd party fixed bridge from Matt in Ireland).

Attachments

• 20230708_spirit.jpg
    20230708_spirit.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 22
Yes. It's like you turn it but there's some play there so you might have to go back and
forth to settle in and hope you get the right position for the tuning.
Subtle, but I'd gladly pay more for some real precision parts.
(On one i have the original trem bridge and the other is 3rd party fixed bridge from Matt in Ireland).
Wouldn't that mean you need more friction? I don't think the bearings can cause play in the tuner. I do have some some slight play on my Benton due to mixing parts between the original bridge and a replacement, but that's due to a set screw size being slightly small in a channel rather than bearings and still no real issue fine tuning.

Back
Top Bottom