.syx file association question

grumpops

Inspired
Can't download any sysex files because they become ITUNES MUSIC PLAYER once on my computer....I don't have Itunes

I'm not sure if you're asking for help or even reporting a problem, but the app associated with .syx shouldn't matter. You can associate a file type with any app you like, but the app that's associated with a .syx file is usually irrelevant since you'll be opening that from an app, not the Finder, so I'm not sure what the issue is. But anyway, if that's a concern for you, just change it from Get Info in the Finder to something other than iTunes.

You can’t double click on a syx file to open cablab or something else like Fractalbot.

You have to open the app you want to use, then open the file or insert it into a cab slot.

They work perfectly on my Macs. Your headline screams frustration - understandable - but you have a problem that is fixable. Just change the Info (right-click or Ctrl-click) on a .sysx file and change the file association from iTunes to nothing.

Can't download any sysex files because they become ITUNES MUSIC PLAYER once on my computer....I don't have Itunes
Technically, the files haven't changed. The ONLY thing that is different is the notice of the file's association with the application by the Finder. You can still open them with Edit with no problem. The hysteria in the title is a bit unwarranted because you can download them, and you can open them, just not by double-clicking; you might consider rewording it.

Yup - as Greg Ferguson says - just DOWNLOAD the .sysx files to your desktop, but do NOT then try to run them by double-clicking on them. Open Fractalbot either from AxeEdit or standalone, then simply drag the .sysx file into the target zone for sending to your AxeFx.

You can’t double click on a syx file to open cablab or something else like Fractalbot.

You have to open the app you want to use, then open the file or insert it into a cab slot.
No. Just select the file, bring up the inspector, select the app and the check mark that says reassign forever, or something like that.

Simple rule for you @grumpops:

Whenever you run into an issue where you have to think "This cannot be true!" or especially "How come nobody else has run into this problem?" the problem is most probably solvable, e.g. by changing a setting.

In that case: Lean back, calm down and start a search engine research. Or nowadays: ask an AI.

Yup - as Greg Ferguson says - just DOWNLOAD the .sysx files to your desktop, but do NOT then try to run them by double-clicking on them. Open Fractalbot either from AxeEdit or standalone, then simply drag the .sysx file into the target zone for sending to your AxeFx.
Once I saw that they were using icons of MP3 or WAV files, I didn't try to do anything with them.

Yes, I'm quite aware you doin't CLICK a sysex to try making it do something.
I've had an ULTRA since ULTRA I in 2008.
I've been WITHOUT an ultra for almost 3 yrs. I've just forgotten some of the nuts and bolts. I know how to install one..but the point I'm making is THEY DO NOT ARRIVE ON MY COMPUTER as Sysex files..the turn to audio files. See below.

Attachments

• SYSEX files.jpg
    SYSEX files.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 16
Those are sysex files, not audio files. You haven't described anything that could be considered a problem, except maybe your shift lock key. Just import the damn things with AxeEdit and you'll find there's nothing wrong.

Click on the View menu in the File Explorer window and put a checkmark next to "File name extensions". You'll then see that they are still .syx files. They will open just fine in AxeEdit. The file type association with iTunes will not affect anything. Right click one of the .syx files and choose "Open with", check the "Always use this app to open .syx files" option and select a different app from the list to change the association if you want.

Yes, I'm quite aware you doin't CLICK a sysex to try making it do something.
I've had an ULTRA since ULTRA I in 2008.
I've been WITHOUT an ultra for almost 3 yrs. I've just forgotten some of the nuts and bolts. I know how to install one..but the point I'm making is THEY DO NOT ARRIVE ON MY COMPUTER as Sysex files..the turn to audio files. See below.
Are you on Mac or PC? Screenshot shows PC?

Are you on Mac or PC? Screenshot shows PC?
It's a PC and Itunes is not installed on this machine....
Will try using Axe Edit...didn't have to do that in the past..just downloaded to a folder, open axe edit and load up whatever I wanted to load up.

Ok, selected the first one, OPEN WITH, navigated to the AXE EDIT application...click...they all changed to Sysex..
I'm a hardware guy...from way back when you literally used really expensive toys to chase a SINGLE bit through all the flip flops and counters and whatnot, till you found the dead chip...lol true story...my SOFTWARE knowledge however, I married a software engineer...lol...one of us was a hardware engineer, the others was a Data Base Systems developer...However, she passed 8 yrs ago last march.

Back
Top Bottom