Synth module???

set theorist

Inspired
I know this is a looong shot; but I wonder if there is any chance that a future version of the Axe-FX might include a 13 pin midi in and a soundcard.

For years, I've been interested in the prospect of a decent sounding/tracking guitar synth; but the technology hasn't advanced in 20 years. Both the Roland and the Axon use sound cards from the mid eighties and produce sour ghost notes unless you fret with the precision of Holdsworth. The pick-ups both companies make are crap; and now it looks like the Brian Moore I guitars with 13 pin connectors have become more rare than sperm whales.

Cliff has done such a remarkable job in the area of modelling, maybe he can "clean up" the whole guitar synth debacle. Maybe a system could be developed that doesn't even require the 13 pin interface....I'm kinda talking out of my butt here; but i just don't understand why a good sounding/ easy to use guitar synth can't be done. I'm pretty sure that if it was done right, there'd be a market for it.

set theorist said:
I know this is a looong shot; but I wonder if there is any chance that a future version of the Axe-FX might include a 13 pin midi in and a soundcard.
Search the boards for this topic as it has been brought up before. Long story short, what you ask for is highly unlikely to happen as such features go far outside the scope of the Axe-FX's intended feature set.

Matt_B said:
[quote="set theorist":1sstfdec]I know this is a looong shot; but I wonder if there is any chance that a future version of the Axe-FX might include a 13 pin midi in and a soundcard.
Search the boards for this topic as it has been brought up before. Long story short, what you ask for is highly unlikely to happen as such features go far outside the scope of the Axe-FX's intended feature set.[/quote:1sstfdec]

As far as I can remember (and that isn´t saying that this is the truth, just what I believe I´m recalling correct). I believe Cliff once stated in a reply when the same or a similar question arised about 13pin: PERHAPS in a future product. That is a BIG maybe, I guess we will all see.
I really think that Cliff would be able to add something extra if he ever headed into guitar/synth modeling. But he´s a human (well at least I´d like to believe that, but he keeps challenging that belief!), so I understand if there isn´t enough time to widening the Fractal Audio scope and release such products.

As for a soundcard, I guess the AXE PC is the closest you ever gonna get. Whatever happened with that one, haven´t heard anything for long time?

EDIT: as for the whereabouts/successor of 13pin. Only 6 pin are really necessary if all you´d like to transmit is the separate string audio signals (+1 pin if you like to add the mag pickups as well). The other pins are for controllers. However, Roland (and/or Yamaha) once set the standard using that pin configuration and this type of connector. And since it´s such a small niche after all, any small company that have any intention to dig into and survive the business within this area really have to be compatible with any GK13 product (whether they like the connector/configuration or not).

/Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for chiming in. Even though it's not much, I'm encouraged to hear that the topic has actually been discussed and acknowledged by Cliff.

What I'm wondering, is why no one can build a processer where the midi conversion is performed within. Where you can just plug in with your standard quarter inch jack and get your synth tones. One of the moderators on the Terratec board, who was obviously annoyed by my comments, explained that this could not be done because the midi capture is dependent on the initial moment of vibration of the string. I guess that makes sense to some extent, but why this issue like any other cannot be tackled in a way that would make guitar synthesis simple is beyond me. Of course, I don't really have a technical leg to stand on here; but it just seems to me with all the wonders of modern technology, this seems like something that can be overcome by people with the technical expertise.

I am currently using the Axon MKII and Axon PU with a Muse receptor module running Plugins.Works quite well. Tracks really fast with minor glitches.Like you I would welcome a new technology as well. I have always enjoyed the guitar synth for added textures and to be able to sequence keyboard sounds for my recordings.
My 2 cents,
Terry

bonehead said:
I am currently using the Axon MKII and Axon PU with a Muse receptor module running Plugins.Works quite well. Tracks really fast with minor glitches.Like you I would welcome a new technology as well. I have always enjoyed the guitar synth for added textures and to be able to sequence keyboard sounds for my recordings.
My 2 cents,
Terry

Exactly, this day and age, minor glitches should be unacceptable. What if every once in a while, you hit an A chord and your Axe-FX decided on it's own to produce an F sharp one octave higher? Would you pay $600 for it? No way; but you and I both did for our Axons.

Are you using a stuck on pick-up or a guitar with built in synth access?

Back
Top Bottom