Sweetened tunings

On my acoustic I start by tuning the open string to concert, then check the 3rd, 5th and 7th frets and adjust the open string pitch so that all those notes are generally averaged around +0 cents. For instance with the open string at +0, the others might be -2, +4, +6. So I'd pull the open down to -2 to get -2, -4, +2, +4... which sounds smoother on the whole.

Or alternatively if I'm recording in a particular key I'll play the major chords I'm using and test each of the notes and see if anything sticks out tuning wise +-4 or more cents. Then start pulling the open string sharp or flat to iron that out at the expense of notes I don't use much going slightly out.

I don't need to do that as much with my electrics, but it's still an option if I'm not happy with the tuning at any point.

Another thing to note is that for songs where you are bashing the strings hard and fast, tuning a little flat on the bass strings can help. The attack of the note is sharper than the decay. If there is no decay (fast playing) then you have to compensate with a flatter note to start with. This goes double for looser strings (think drop tuning) and Bass.

Evertune bridge over here. I can say I'm -2.3cents and actually be it.

Well, if you've got an Evertune, then maybe.....

Personally though, no matter how well it may work, no way I'd stick one onto my LP Custom, just doesn't look right

Well, if you've got an Evertune, then maybe.....

Personally though, no matter how well it may work, no way I'd stick one onto my LP Custom, just doesn't look right

Agreed. The originals (that is, non-retrofitted ETB's) look pretty good I think. Still kinda' bulky.
They need to make a multiscale trem version. I'd use it no matter how clunky it was :D
...have to go find a multiscale first though :p

Personally I find that I need to tune to the song, using a main harmony to get me there. For instance in "The Mystery" I have to play that first four note sequence with capo on, make sure it's good, then I'm off. I find the only sure way is for me to tune per song as I play in so many different keys that offsetting for one means putting it further out for another.

I get a kick how different musicians are... as a lot. I love the Evertune looks and after playing and working on guitars for almost 45 years I've never encountered a piece of guitar hardware that adjusted so easily and precisely as the Evertune. Action, harmonics and tuning. The cool thing is since it holds it's tuning if you keep checking and literally fine tuning, session to session, all it does is get more and more precise.

My Evertune is so stinking stable I was able to determine that the Peterson numbers posted here do not exactly match my Peterson Tuner when programming them into the Axe. I was able to make slight adjustments to the Axe numbers to match exactly.

It's a good time to give kudo's to the Axe Tuner. I never paid attention to it or used it on my Ultra. But this tuner on the XL is very nice. I was real surprised at it's stability.

I get a kick how different musicians are... as a lot. I love the Evertune looks and after playing and working on guitars for almost 45 years I've never encountered a piece of guitar hardware that adjusted so easily and precisely as the Evertune. Action, harmonics and tuning. The cool thing is since it holds it's tuning if you keep checking and literally fine tuning, session to session, all it does is get more and more precise.

My Evertune is so stinking stable I was able to determine that the Peterson numbers posted here do not exactly match my Peterson Tuner when programming them into the Axe. I was able to make slight adjustments to the Axe numbers to match exactly.

Depends on the guitar. I likewise wouldn't stick a Floyd Rose onto a vintage LP either, would you ?

The Evertune seems to be a great product though, and maybe if I was building a modern tele, would consider it, but mod a 40 some year old instrument ? No thank you
It's a good time to give kudo's to the Axe Tuner. I never paid attention to it or used it on my Ultra. But this tuner on the XL is very nice. I was real surprised at it's stability.

Its nice to have things like a modern A/C system on a car as well, but should it be retro fit into a vintage muscle car.

Depends on the guitar. I likewise wouldn't stick a Floyd Rose onto a vintage LP either, would you ?

Most definitely not. Didn't see any mention of your LP being vintage. I was more directing towards the looks aspect and how folks are different. I love the way it looks.

If you don't mind... What numbers are you using with your XL to more closely match the peterson?

I had my Peterson VSII sitting on one side of me and my XL on the other. I dialed in the posted presets on my Axe, tuned and it did sound good but I then checked that tuning on my Peterson via the GTR setting which is the sweetened tuning and had some strobe creep. I tuned to the Peterson and went back to Axe and had some creep on the rotating dot. Since the Evertune is so stable and able to accept a high degree of tuning accuracy I started dialing in the Axe to match my Peterson Strobe. What I came up with is this:

E1 -2.30 cts
B2 -2.00 cts
G3 0.00 cts
D4 -0.40 cts
A5 -1.80 cts
E6 -2.40 cts

I don't claim any scientific basis for this or guarantee squat I just know that the two seemed more in alignment. Other factors such as intonation, string gauge, fretting pressure, fret height and neck relief can all contribute to the equation. It's just what worked out for my gear.

Great thread people. I wasn't aware that Peterson had added Sweetened tunings as an upgrade to their iOS app. Looks like it's been there since September last year.

I have now downloaded the guitar and bass sweetener pack to my iStroboSoft app on the iPad. I note that there are sweetened tunings for 7-string and baritone guitars in there too. With a bit of work, i may be able to measure what the "secret" offset for the 7th string is :) ( so that it may also be applied to the axefx tuner etc ... )

Edit: Using the 7ST sweetener on iStroboSoft, the offset for low 'B' appears to be around -3.8 cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom