suhr badger in 7.00

I built a patch with a BB -->Weasle-->SLM V30 (OH) SM57... I can't stop playing it. It's been two days and I'm still smiling every time I play it.

I did a sound bit in the recording section ,rat pedal in the front ,I think it sounds awesome , Cleans up with the guitar volume :D

How do you like it so far w/o Cliff's adjustment to the real thing, Enzo?

Well.. I finally found the time to play with the Model and compare it to a real one.
I´ve found a couple of mistakes. I informed Cliff.
John Suhr wrote me they will work together to let it sound at its best.

I repeat it here so that everyone can read it and maybe I stop receiving tons of emails:
I DO NOT SHARE THE SCHEMATIC!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Enzo for both the schematics and the explanation. I played through a badger 18 combo and was wondering why I couldn't get the weasel to sound like the one I played through with similar settings. Still a great sounding model, though! :)

ps. I thought he already received his badger. Wasn't that the reason why the official firmware came out?

I agree there is some kind of magic with the weasel when you hit it in in front. I am currently dime-ing a love pedal and keep the amp drive all the way up and i am getting some rich bubbly, throaty, gainy squish magic that is hard to stop playing. I f i come back to my preset day after day and still love to play for hours then i know something is working in this amp. This amp cleans up well with the volume too. Very inspiring!

I am one of those who own a Suhr Badger - 18 watt Head (Serial # 159 - bought new when first released, 2 hours after seeing Pete's video review - called Noel down at Tone Merchants in Orange, CA, made an apt. and shot straight down, cash in hand) and have been begging for Cliff to add our Weasel for the last year to the point of irration. I also have the Badger 1x12" ported, closed back cabinet (also bought at Tone Merchants - unloaded) and have installed an Eminence Red Fang <-(Holy Grail goodness) This cabinet sounds amazing. I plan to do a few IR's of the cab later today using a few different mic placement and will share them once completed and I have determine which get's closest to the real deal. Cliff - I will IM you as to this cab IR once completed.

My thoughts; Thank you Cliff for once again responding to the request of your users. I think many will love the Weasel as a special amp in this collection.
BUT......, I do not hear my Badger being equaled quite yet. But you are close. The OD/break up points and reaction to the settings of the amp are quite a bit off as stated by Enzo. I know that you will nail it and were a bit rushed. Kind of wish that you would have back-burnered it and waited a bit to nail this special amp so that it's release to FAS community had the full impact that this amp offers them. Hope they will take a second look once you nail it. I think many may now just flip past it, think ho-hum amp, and never know this amp for what it is once you nail it. The email from your "pro player" was thoughtful, but IMHO was not accurate and somewhat counter productive - To say "Spot-on" is simply not yet earned. I have spent at least 1,000 hours of intimate playing with my Badger and am very familiar with it's magic and functions. This amp model, as good as it is, is not yet nailing the Badger 18 in a parallel sense.

Please redo the model with your actual Badger 18 and get it to have perfect OD edge of break up at this setting:

BADGER 18 set to: GUITAR = PRS CUSTOM 24
* POWER = 3.50
* DRIVE = 5.00-5.50 <- Yes, it is that sensitive - this .50 will change your tone and break up point.
BASS = 5.00
MID - 5.50
TREBLE = 6.00
GAIN = 4.00

* = Power and Drive work together to act as control for the London Power Scaling Mode

Then see if you can have the model nail this at same settings - also publish correlating control names on the AXE so that we know what control on AX = that of the Badger.

This sound is so important to nail. this may be the go to mid break up amp on the entire ax. I want this for myself as well as YOU and the users as a whole. Although your Weasle sounds cool - it does not balance with how a Suhr Badger sounds at comparable settings - kind of not even close. I suspect Enzo is correct in his conclusion above.

I will then request a second weasel based upon the Badger set to be Non Master Voluem setting. (UNLESS YOU NAIL THE AMP IN A WAY THAT CAN EVEN REACT TO JOHN'S NMV MODE WHEN SET LIKE THIS): This is organic BLISS - Try W/O a pick as well. It will be LOUD.
Guitar - PRS CUSTOM 24 - Volume at about 6-7 then adjust to taste. P/U - each has it's own flavor and the Badger will reproduce accordingly and each differing. this amp setting will really show off your various guitars for what they each have in very different ways. Can Nail Dire Straights - To Wolf Mother/Queens of the Stone Age. (Just hit it hard - turn up the Volume and add my Divided by 13 Dyna Ranger - Good GOD - Can an 18 watt sound so HUGE, dynamic and filled with so much harmonic content)
** POWER = 10.00
** DRIVE = 10.0
BASS = 4.5
MID = 5.5
TREBLE = 6.5
GAIN = 3.5 - NOW ACTS AS STANDARD VOLUME - turn up now and see it go through multitudes of CLEAN and on into Light to Full Saturation OD with the slightest of movement and when coupled with your Guitar's Volume

** = Power and Drive work together when both set to 10, to set the amp to NON MASTER VOLUME Mode.
The Gain knob now is a basic Volume control and no longer controls "Gain" .

PLEASE CLIFF - try these two settings on your Badger - and if you can make this happen, you will have truly captured the Badger in your Weasel.

Last edited:
I repeat it here so that everyone can read it and maybe I stop receiving tons of emails:
I DO NOT SHARE THE SCHEMATIC!!!

THEN DON'T ADVERTISE ON A PUBLIC FORUM THAT YOU HAVE THE SCHEMATIC THAT FRACTAL USED AND NOT EXPECT 5 MILLION PEOPLE TO ASK YOU FOR IT !!!

Just sayin... :lol

THEN DON'T ADVERTISE ON A PUBLIC FORUM THAT YOU HAVE THE SCHEMATIC THAT FRACTAL USED AND NOT EXPECT 5 MILLION PEOPLE TO ASK YOU FOR IT !!!

Just sayin... :lol

Tim - Deep breath man. Count to Ten before your type a sarcastic post like that.

I think Enzo is simply respecting John Suhr and I respect Enzo for that. John and his family went through a lot to have Suhr where it is today. It would be pretty uncool to release this information. If you want it, plan on reverse engineering. If you ever met these guys at Suhr, you would do the same. Cool group of people down in Lake Elsinore, CA. Even Cliff talked to John and asked before he created the Weasel.

Tipping my Hat to ENZO.

Tim - Deep breath man. Count to Ten before your type a sarcastic post like that...

It's not sarcasm, it's reality. Would you brag on a public forum that you have the schematic for a coveted boutique amp and not expect your inbox to be flooded with requests for the schematic? I have no problem with him not sharing the schematic, but to brag about having it and then get upset because people ask for it, that's kind of silly.

Tim, He was not bragging at all. This has been an ongoing process for many months for us to convince Cliff that the Badger is a worthy and unique amp which would benefit the pallet of the Axe. Those of us who have been a part of this have known that Enzo has had access to this schematic for many months. He has helped us get something dear to many users here. He has on several occasions stated that he would not share the schematic, yet people keep hounding him. If you read what he said, where is he bragging? He was simply answering the questions so many are asking as far as which of the 3 Badger models we are modeled after in this Weasel and qualifying how he knows this. I needed to know also. It makes a difference in what to expect and who should review the new Weasel. So he said, he gave Cliff the Schematic and that it was the 18 watt. He was simply taking part in an ongoing, intellectual forum discussion. Respectfully. Can you leave it alone and not judge long time forum users for being a part of this process. Peace Tim!;)

Would you brag on a public forum that you have the schematic.
There was not the least bit of bragging involved :roll Simply informing Cliff the schematic is available, without pushing it.

AFAIK, this is at least the 3rd BIG thing Enzo has generously shared from his own hard work (Tri-Chorus, CAE, Badger, other info).
Comments like yours are only making it will happen less...

In fact, as a Top 10 player on this forum, he has every right to brag, should he want to. But as a true great, he never does.

Thanks to kerrlehr and vAmp for the kindly words.. I really appreciate it. It´s always good to know your work means something to someone ;)

It doesnt get any better than John Suhr. He is a real guru and a big font of inspiration for what I do.. on pair with Leo Fender in my book, go figure. I really respect and admire his work and dedication.
Looking back I understood it was a mistake to share his designs even with Cliff. I apologise here in public as well and hope he is not having problems because of me.

The amp sure has elicited quite a bit of...emotion. I suspect that it can be dialed in to satisfaction now, but everyone has their own version of what a Badger *should* sound like.

Which CAB should be used here? Ships with a V30 yes? But so many to choose from...

(And isn't the Red Fang based off of the Celestion Blue? Why would it be different?)

R

The amp sure has elicited quite a bit of...emotion. I suspect that it can be dialed in to satisfaction now, but everyone has their own version of what a Badger *should* sound like.

Which CAB should be used here? Ships with a V30 yes? But so many to choose from...

(And isn't the Red Fang based off of the Celestion Blue? Why would it be different?)

R
The Red Fang speaker is in fact designed using the "Blue" as it's target. But they found something special in their approach. I had a Blue as well. The Red Fang just sits right in this special tonal place. This, coupled with the tuned ported, insulated, sealed back design of the Badger Cabinet. So, long story short.. No, the Badger Cabinet loaded with a Red Fang is not the same as the IR of the Blue. When I post my IR, you will see what I mean. (Look how many very different cabinets with highly different sounds include the V30. Every cabinet has it's own flavor. John Suhr does not just throw a Cabinet together over the weekend and screw on a speaker in the hole... His Team goes through dozens of designs and multiple modifications before John calls it a Suhr Production model. (Chris in particular was into the 2x12 cabinet design process, as each time I went by The Suhr factory, he had a new variation in the sound room right around the corner from where they hand assemble all Suhr amps (this was just before they moved up the road)

So I think a Badger Cabinet will dial in another piece of the Badger refinement. Yes the V30 has a totally different sound compared to a Red Fang. But this is Why Suhr Sells them Unloaded. They understand that individual musicians can finalize their sound with a certain speaker in the box. I suppose the V30 is John's production choice for a good reason. I personal find some super sonic mojo chime sauce with the Red Fang. To each their own I suppose.

Yes I too believe that this amp will be dialed in to perfection soon. (Partly cause Cliff's a classic rocker at heart and he will suhrly fall in love with his Badger just like we all did)!!

BTW - A Badger should just sound like a, well.... A Badger! It is what it is. Love it, or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom