Stupid move of the day

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I have this old desk that I've had for years. Everything fits perfectly. Problem was that the finish that was on it was like a paper covering and you know how that stuff holds up...not well.

So I decided to fix that shortcoming by putting some Formica on it. A couple of new tools and I ended up getting a very nice refurbished and better desk. I did scrap the edging as I used my new flush cut router bit, but I'll live. Having a nice solid scratch resistant top is great.

Well the keyboard shelf was pretty hammered too and I didn't have enough material left over to finish it. I tried sanding it down and painting it, but anyone who's painted MDF knows how poorly that goes. So I found some shelving at home depot that is a nice contrast to the desk itself, brought it home, cut it to length and went to install it.

This is where the stupidity comes in.

I went to put some pilot holes in there for the screws that attach the rails...yep, I went all the way through the shelf....and half way through my frickin' index finger. I cannot believe that I drilled a perfect little hole in my primary nose picker. Even better is that it was literally the last frickin' hole I had to drill in this damn desk.

Reminds me of that guy who won the Darwin award a couple decades ago. He was a high rise steel worker riveting. He came to a corner and instead of re-rigging his safety harness so he could swing outside he thought he would just quickly reach around the beam from both sides and rivet towards him. As you may have guessed he stuck his chest right on the beam for leverage pulling the rivet gun towards himself and got a nice little heart thumper. Dead. Dohhhhhhhhhhh

I hope your finger heals quickly.

Been their done that before :lol .. Try a 16 penny nail through your palm with a nail gun, it went through the meat of my left hand just below my pinky exited about an inch on the other side and went back in to the meat of my palm by my thumb. Had to pull it out with a pair of channel locks. Couldn't play for 6 weeks.

I'm a hvac and electrical contractor and I have something happen like that happen every week. I'm pretty sure not many professional guitarist do what I do :) sore and stiff pingers

My "second" career is in safety for the construction industry, mostly industrial, my "first" was in the fire service, 26 years. I have seen many accidents, some fatal. I have preached the safety message, usually OSHA but more often just common sense. I still hurt myself once in a while just puttering around the house. I've got a splinter and a busted fingernail at the moment. You can always look back and think about how stupid you were but it's hard to look ahead and prevent an accident. Much of the time it is about taking a shortcut, using the wrong tool, or not planning the work. Thanks for sharing, Shasha, maybe someone else will think about it before it happens to them. Hope you heal quickly.

My buddy jay works at the local music store. He is a fantastic guitar player and I want him to stay that way. He is however an idiot with power tools so I told him long ago to call me before he tries to use them so I can at least supervise him. Hope you heal quickly man.

I have this old desk that I've had for years. Everything fits perfectly. Problem was that the finish that was on it was like a paper covering and you know how that stuff holds up...not well.

So I decided to fix that shortcoming by putting some Formica on it. A couple of new tools and I ended up getting a very nice refurbished and better desk. I did scrap the edging as I used my new flush cut router bit, but I'll live. Having a nice solid scratch resistant top is great.

Well the keyboard shelf was pretty hammered too and I didn't have enough material left over to finish it. I tried sanding it down and painting it, but anyone who's painted MDF knows how poorly that goes. So I found some shelving at home depot that is a nice contrast to the desk itself, brought it home, cut it to length and went to install it.

This is where the stupidity comes in.

I went to put some pilot holes in there for the screws that attach the rails...yep, I went all the way through the shelf....and half way through my frickin' index finger. I cannot believe that I drilled a perfect little hole in my primary nose picker. Even better is that it was literally the last frickin' hole I had to drill in this damn desk.

Phew...for a moment there I thought you damaged your Axe FX2.

It's almost completely closed up already.

The one thing I noticed is that I'm really struggling to play. I mean it's pretty bad.

The problem is that I struggled before the 'injury'. :)

It was a lot worse looking when it happened. It's not even worth thinking about at this point. By the weekend I'll probably have forgotten about it.

I hate it when that happens,next time put a piece of tape around the drill bit for depth. I know a little to late :D

I once stapled my own finger and once shot out with a small wood carving tool into my wrist that happily started gushing blood :)
I may have finally found my match! :p

It's amazing how much smarter you get after it though ;)
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom