Studio Speakers or FRFR?

Kyloc_Armis

Good afternoon everyone,

I've had the Axe FX 3 for just over 4 years now and have never really been happy with it. I run it through a Friedman ASC-12 and everything sounds like trash. It's like the cabinet has a blanket over it.

I'm a big fan of our boy Leon Todd's high gain material on the Axechange, but when I run it through my Friedman, it sounds nothing like the demo. However, when I run it through my budget Shure headphones, everything sounds infinitely better.

Yes, I understand headphones vs room physics are totally different. But Leon isn't dialing in these tones via headphones in his demos, so my question is...do I just turf the Friedman and buy a set of Adam A7V speakers? Will this potentially solve my issue?

I play as a hobby at home and just want the crushing tones at just above bedroom noise levels. I can't be bothered dialing out the muffle in the Friedman anymore.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd say straight away that your Friedman cab is adding the 'color' that you're not diggin. I have Atomic CLR's and most user presets don't quite translate that well (with the exception of Burgs, Austin Buddy and most of Leon's patches) without tweaking to my room so a Friedman ASC-12 would be even farther removed from what you're hearing users create...unless they've dialed in with that cab. I think Adam's or something with flatter response will get you much closer.

I have a Mission Engineering Gemini II (I like the stereo feature)and a pair of Kali Audio LP8 V2...I couldn't be happier with the sound and most of the time have both on at the same time. All my presets have an Output 1 going to the Gemini with an EV-1 acting as a master volume. I have all my presets fixed that when the pedal is all the way open they are about 85db, give or take...only have a 20'X25' room.
To be honest though I use the Kali's more because I'm sitting at my desk with them a ear level and they will always be loud enough and/or retain "sound" at lower volumes. I'm sure there are better and definitely more expensive monitors out there...

I have a Mission Engineering Gemini II (I like the stereo feature)and a pair of Kali Audio LP8 V2...I couldn't be happier with the sound and most of the time have both on at the same time. All my presets have an Output 1 going to the Gemini with an EV-1 acting as a master volume. I have all my presets fixed that when the pedal is all the way open they are about 85db, give or take...only have a 20'X25' room.
To be honest though I use the Kali's more because I'm sitting at my desk with them a ear level and they will always be loud enough and/or retain "sound" at lower volumes. I'm sure there are better and definitely more expensive monitors out there...
Do you find your Kali's sound closer to headphone than the FRFR does? I just don't want to invest in studio speakers and run into the same sort of muffle that I get with my FRFR vs my headphones.

I prefer monitors cause I really enjoy hearing the little details and tune the smallest things in sound
But for rocking out loud.. yeah, no substitute to a BFGc (Big Fucking Guitar cabinet)
I got a 1 year old kiddo in the mix these days...so the BFG (or even my Friedman FRFR for that matter) ain't gonna work lol

Last edited:
If you don’t need gig volume at an actual gig, go for studio monitors. The best ones you can afford. Dollar for dollar, studio monitors will give you the truest sound.
I'll buy whatever gets rid of this muffled tone my Friedman FRFR gives me at this point. I'm looking at the Adam A7V set.

I own and use a pair of Freidman ASC-12s too and love them. Save your money. A couple of simple things can rip the blanket right off of them for you.

1) Speaker placement - as a wedge, upright on its short side, next to each other standing up, or both of them on stands, the boominess or tightness of the low end will be different. Even what part of the room you place them can make a difference. I found that both speakers on the floor as wedges needed the most help with low-cut and output EQ.

2) EQ the blanket away - with the 100Hz low-cut switch on the speakers switched to on, and reducing the low-end frequencies (31Hz - 250Hz) in the output channel of the Axe-Fx (global settings), this EQ will tame the low-end and make room for the missing hi-end frequencies. Stairstep the frequency faders with 31Hz @ -12dB, 63Hz @ -9dB, 125Hz @ -6dB, and 250Hz @ -3dB.

These EQ settings will flatten out the EQ for the room so the ASC-12s have a much better chance of sounding good.

+1
Nothing better than practice, play, tweak thru great IEM. Love my 64Audio A6t. Next Level. Sold (almost) every Wedge and Cab.

Also for mixing and just hear great music

IEM's – play to your heart's content at whatever volume level you choose w/o disturbing the Kidlet and without any ill effects from your room acoustics. PLUS you get a new pair of IEM's for other uses as well!
I never thought about this route. Any suggestions? I feel like I'd still want to play unplugged from in ears at some point but this could be a good interim solution if the price is right.

I own and use a pair of Freidman ASC-12s too and love them. Save your money. A couple of simple things can rip the blanket right off of them for you.

1) Speaker placement - as a wedge, upright on its short side, next to each other standing up, or both of them on stands, the boominess or tightness of the low end will be different. Even what part of the room you place them can make a difference. I found that both speakers on the floor as wedges needed the most help with low-cut and output EQ.

2) EQ the blanket away - with the 100Hz low-cut switch on the speakers switched to on, and reducing the low-end frequencies (31Hz - 250Hz) in the output channel of the Axe-Fx (global settings), this EQ will tame the low-end and make room for the missing hi-end frequencies. Stairstep the frequency faders with 31Hz @ -12dB, 63Hz @ -9dB, 125Hz @ -6dB, and 250Hz @ -3dB.

These EQ settings will flatten out the EQ for the room so the ASC-12s have a much better chance of sounding good.
I've tried a lot of this, I ever went to the extent of buying an Auralex Gramma riser for the Friedman and I'm still struggling. It's also entirely possible that I'm just ass at dialing in anything on the Fractal lol. But I don't really want dialing tones to be this difficult, so I'm looking for easier solutions. If a good pair of studio speakers will do the job, that's the route I'm taking.

I've had the asm 12 and the slightly better asm 10 in stereo. They suck. You cannot dial out the top end, heavy awkward ect. The CLR neo is the best FRFR there is. I've had Xitone RCF and the ASM's which are the only runners up.

For what your looking for as a loud bedroom player get some really good desk top monitors. One of the top FAS guys suggested Presonus as the only back up to his favorite (Adams) so I got some and love them. So much more clearer than the krk mud fest ones I had for roughly the same price :cool:

I've had the asm 12 and the slightly better asm 10 in stereo. They suck. You cannot dial out the top end, heavy awkward ect. The CLR neo is the best FRFR there is. I've had Xitone RCF and the ASM's which are the only runners up.

For what your looking for as a loud bedroom player get some really good desk top monitors. One of the top FAS guys suggested Presonus as the only back up to his favorite (Adams) so I got some and love them. So much more clearer than the krk mud fest ones I had for roughly the same price :cool:
Ya that seems to be the majority of opinions on the Friedman. It seems like they really only excel in a live setting when you need to be loud and want the whole amp-behind-you feeling.

I'll buy whatever gets rid of this muffled tone my Friedman FRFR gives me at this point. I'm looking at the Adam A7V set.
Are you certain that speaker isnt broken? Sounds like maybe a blown voice coil or something else going on. I have no experience with it personally but it shouldnt be so far off the mark. Friedman isnt junk.

Other than that, if you dig what you're hearing on headphones, do you need to look further? Get a good return policy on the Adams and check them out. I have an old pair of original A7s and they're still sounding great here.

I'm looking at the Adam A7V set.
Yep, as has been mentioned, at the volume you're talking about you really can't beat a good pair of studio monitors.

I haven't heard the A7Vs', but have a pair of A7Xs' and love em. I recently added an Adam sub to go with them and that
really kicked things up a couple notches.

Do you find your Kali's sound closer to headphone than the FRFR does? I just don't want to invest in studio speakers and run into the same sort of muffle that I get with my FRFR vs my headphones.
I love my Kali's but I'm sure spending more for other monitors would be better. I do not run into any muffled sound with either of them. I got my Mission for a steal...which never happens to me usually but if you look at it's retail and look at Kali retail I would suggest you get the best monitors possible. I think you would be happier that way, get the truest sound at lower levels the whole family can tolerate.
The comedian Jimmy Pardo said he took his son to his first Kiss concert at 5 years old but he enjoyed it more when he took him at 5 and a half. My dad told me I'd go deaf one day standing in front of amps and having headphones so loud everyone around could hear them...I'm 61 and can still hear a bug fart...my wife, 8 years my junior is amazed I can hear conversations three tables over in a crowded restaurant. What I'm saying is, the kid will toughen up:p

Back
Top Bottom