Studio Monitors

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I want to get some good used studio monitors to use for my Axe FX and also to run the audio output from my iMac. What are some good makes/models to look out for?

Depends what you're looking to spend. You can often find a pair of Mackie HR824s that are quite good and can be found for anywhere from 600ish to 1000.

Words of wisdom:
-These are what you'll be listening to as you tweak and determine the settings you use...meaning very important if want to be able to hear how your tones REALLY sound.
-spend as much as you can afford and go for smaller, more accurate monitors. Unless you're gonna be spending a couple grand or more, I'd stick with small ones that give you an accurate picture. You can get cheap, big hyped monitors, but they're really just relabeled home stereo speakers.
-There are tons of choices-do your research and don't be impressed by the size unless you just want something loud.

Some good brands: Dynaudio, Adam, Tannoy, Mackie (hotly debated, but widely used however Mackie's future is in question right now), Genelec, Barefoot

If you're just looking at a couple hundred bucks or so, Events are really a pretty decent value for the money...just not great compared to a lot of the other higher end brands out there imo.

cheers.

RTL44 said:
You may never find a better deal than this:
Event 20/20 for $129 each! http://www.topdjgear.com/ev20v2pamosy.html

Be careful, those are the passive version and you would need to power them yourself.
If you just want to plug in the ouput from your iMac you would need the powered BAS model.
(Which I use and work pretty well, especially since I just added the monster Event Subwoofer).

Also be careful about plugging your monitors directly into your computer with no volume
control between them. If something goes wrong and the computer starts putting out a
bunch of noise you could blow your speakers before you even have time to react.

I use an Apogee Ensemble which controls the volume (the Duet would also work)
but you can also just use a small mixer for the purpose. There are also other solutions.

If you want to step up to something better than the Events, I would go for the Adam A7.
Personally I think the Events are at least as if not better than the Mackies, to each their own.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

OK, so I want active monitors, preferably with a built-in volume control, small enough to replace my computer speakers... Any more takers?

Hey String,

I've been doing a lot of research on this same subject here and also on http://www.gearslutz.com/board/, and I've narrowed my choice down to Dynaudio's BM5a, Adam A7 and KRK vxt6. They all have recieved great reviews but it still boils down to having to listen to each of them to hear which sounds best to me. Hopefully Guitar Center has these speakers so I can make a choice but if they didn't and I had to buy without a sound test, I'm steering towards the BM5a's, They seemed to get the most positive reviews from what I've read.
Although, anyone one of those would be an upgrade to what I'm using now which is through pair of Infinite home stereo speakers. :lol:

Hope that search helps out!

Back
Top Bottom