Studio monitor upgrade from A7X's to...

This week I actually upgraded from Adam A7X's to Adam S2V's as I found a great deal. Still breaking them in, but so far they're a big upgrade and I'm really enjoying them, while enjoying a similar voicing to the A7X's that I enjoyed.
Adam's S series is a factory break in, so you don't need to worry about that..Great monitors..

The full concept of break in period is dubious.
It has more to do with your ears getting used to the sound of your monitors.
So a "factory" break in...

The full concept of break in period is dubious.
It has more to do with your ears getting used to the sound of your monitors.
So a "factory" break in...
That's a big can of worms debate, i'm just doing that now with a pair of Focal Alpha 65 Evo's, can't really hear a significant difference after 20 odd hours but the Bass does sound more prominent.

Barefoot or Focal are hard to beat. I have the expensive Focals, but the budget lines from these two are very good.
Can I ask which model Focals you're using? I was leaning towards the Trio6 BE as the Trio11BE would be large for my room. Also, I've only ever had 2-way monitors. Does anyone here use a 3-way monitor with your AxeFx? If so, how would you describe the experience vs a 2-way?

I believe that Cliff had the Trio 11Be monitors for a while. I’m not sure if he still has them.
I have the Trio 11Be's at my "remote office" up north. They are mid-field monitors and I wouldn't recommend them for most people. They are far too big to be used as near-field monitors but they do sound good.

I absolutely love my Event Opal monitors for near-field applications. Unfortunately they are no longer in production.

My advice is to try before you buy if possible.

Save me dialing back this thread — what are your room dims, how far will the monitors be from the wall behind them and how far away from them is your listening position?

Save me dialing back this thread — what are your room dims, how far will the monitors be from the wall behind them and how far away from them is your listening position?
My room is fairly small. 11'X12'X8' ceiling. I'm even a little skeptical the Trio6 BE's will be too much for that sized room. With that size room, unfortunately my desk has to be against a wall. The monitors will only be 6-8" from the wall and 2-3' from my listening position.

I think the Twin6 Focals would be an excellent fit for your room. I think anything larger would be somewhat impractical physically, and their “built like a tank” cabinets will help minimize the amount of LF radiation from the back of the box to the wall behind them. The (relative) amount of money you’ll save over larger monitors can be put to good use for some selective room treatment (corner bass traps like these https://auralex.com/lenrd-bass-traps/) and some absorption directly behind the speakers — maybe some side/rear diffusion as well.

FWIW, my first home studio had Fostex RM780’s directly mounted to the front wall above the console (gap of about 3” to wall) using Omnimount ball/socket mounts (see pic below — good luck finding some these days) with 2”D Sonex panels covering the entire wall behind the monitors (from the desk surface up to the ceiling) — and we mixed commercially-released product successfully, albeit we usually referenced our “final” mixes by playing them back on other systems in larger rooms to gauge our LF accuracy (which was usually close to if not spot-on). BTW, the front wall construction was super-stout, so this was an appropriate solution for this particular room — YMMV.

1701622044300.png

Last edited:
I think the Twin6 Focals would be an excellent fit for your room. I think anything larger would be somewhat impractical physically, and their “built like a tank” cabinets will help minimize the amount of LF radiation from the back of the box to the wall behind them. The (relative) amount of money you’ll save over larger monitors can be put to good use for some selective room treatment (corner bass traps like these https://auralex.com/lenrd-bass-traps/) and some absorption directly behind the speakers — maybe some side/rear diffusion as well.

FWIW, my first home studio had Fostex RM780’s directly mounted to the front wall above the console (gap of about 3” to wall) using Omnimount ball/socket mounts (see pic below — good luck finding some these days) with 2”D Sonex panels covering the entire wall behind the monitors (from the desk surface up to the ceiling) — and we mixed commercially-released product successfully, albeit we usually referenced our “final” mixes by playing them back on other systems in larger rooms to gauge our LF accuracy (which was usually close to if not spot-on). BTW, the front wall construction was super-stout, so this was an appropriate solution for this particular room — YMMV.

View attachment 130817
Funny enough, I was just looking at the newer Twin6ST6 as an alternative. My room is already treated with 4" panels. The only hesitation I have on those is the potential of needing a sub, which I really don't want to worry about. The specs claim 40Hz-40kHz, but the dedicated woofer is only 6.5". Its only 1/2 inch smaller than my A7X, so possibly it won't be a big deal. These are definitely at the top of my list. Thanks again, for the input.

A-3db point of 40Hz is most likely adequate for any type of guitar-modeler work. Then again, if you’ve got 4” quality treatment (covering the majority of your 11x12 room?) you may want more overall firepower — but I sincerely doubt it if you’re only an arms length away when using them…

Back
Top Bottom