Stuck on which unit to buy

Schulzy

Hey guys

I have recently sold off all my tube amps and for the last few months I've been playing purely out of guitar rig.... yeah I know.

I've decided to finally take the plunge and buy a brand new XL or I can get a mark II including mfc-101 for the same price second hand (which I'm going to look at today). I know it may seem like a no brainer choice but just after opinions.

Thanks.

Personally i don't think the extras on the XL are worth it. The Mark II with the MFC is all you need. And a power amp and speakers, but that is it. And maybe good set of headphones.

Thanks for the replies guys... Cliff :)

Well it is within my budget for the XL alone but not the mfc to go along with it, if I got them new. The decision is frustrating, having never tried a fractal product as of yet maybe I'll give the mark II a shot to begin with, if I find I'd prefer the faslink later on, I'll look into it.

I think hardware midi through is the most compelling addition. YMMV. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think you'll be happy with the Mark II and MFC-101. I think FASLINK is cool but I don't mind using a network cable. Also, you can buy a network cable cheaper than an XLR cable. I bought two 20' Cat 6 cables for about $15. You can buy 100' of Cat 6 cable, RJ45 Crimp Tool with Cable Stripper and a bag of RJ45 connects for about $35 and make your own cables. If you outgrow your Axe-Fx II and want to buy an XL, you will probably be able to sell it for the same price your buying it bc you're buying it used.

Noone has asked what he plays.

If you're a '3 Preset guy', then do you really need to stretch for an XL? Hell, even an Axe II is overkill for that.

I agree with gotmetalboy. Start with the Axe II and MFC, and see if that works for you. We have rumors of an adapter for FASLINK that you can test out using your RJ45 connector to XLR should you need that, but any sturdy RJ45 (with a backup, of course,) will work.

Now I will wait for Cliff to fire me.

R

Are there any dimmentions/ weight differences XL vs II?
Also is Faslink only used for MFC or it has other uses?

Well obviously buying a new XL means profit for Fractal, while buying a used unit (which they already got their money for the first time around) doesn't really make them anything....so, grain of salt and all

That said, the MFC I consider " must have" as it just opened the unit up so much, allows more EXP pedals etc, so I would budget for either the AEII w/ MFC, or the AEXL w/ MFC, because if you have no funds left over after buying an XL for anything else, then your not getting the full experience

Also budget for maybe 2, if not more EXP pedals, which are about $100 a pop

The most important question is how long will he have to wait before an XL is available??

Cliff telling him to get the XL makes me feel better that we will get them sooner rather than later but I stupidly waited to go on a waiting list in early march and am going a little crazy seeing others getting theirs already.

Can we get an estimate of when people who emailed today or within the last 30 days will be able to order?

Thanks

The most important question is how long will he have to wait before an XL is available??

Cliff telling him to get the XL makes me feel better that we will get them sooner rather than later but I stupidly waited to go on a waiting list in early march and am going a little crazy seeing others getting theirs already.

Can we get an estimate of when people who emailed today or within the last 30 days will be able to order?

Thanks

Way derail a thread asking when you're going to get your XL!

Well I'd just like to thank everyone for the advice. I ended up picking up the mark II and mfc on sunday night. When I arrived at the guys house he had it hooked up through the power section of a Mesa Lonestar... To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the tone.

I've been hanging out to plug it in at home but haven't had the chance yet, I really want to do a full factory reset to delete any preferences and any of his presets and start from scratch.

Do you guys recommend I install the latest firmware and then do a soft reset of unit or should I do a full clean that I read on "how to virginize the axe" thread which involved downloading clean.sys files.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom