Strymon BigSky style verb!?

don't forget that the axe fx is an "imagination machine".

older fx units were very limited in terms of what you could do "under the hood". you just had to work with what you were given and often people had several units by different manufacturers, because each one had it's strong points, but no one single unit could do everything. hence the huge racks of yesteryear (i know i had one).

the axe fx is different. it let's you get under the hood and move things around...route them however you want...chain them up however you like. yes, you need to put in a bit more work sometimes, but with imagination and a little skill you can create almost anything you want. i do get a bit tired of people complaining that the axe doesn't do this, or doesn't do that, doesn't have a button for this or a block for that...when actually it does...you just have to make it yourself. this is the real power of the axe fx. it can be all things to all men...no limitations. yes, some of the fx blocks could be improved or expanded and i'm sure cliff and the team will get round to it soon, but even as things stand, it's probably one of the most creative hardware sound design tools out there for guitarists at the moment.
yes, I exaggerated a bit and everything you said above is definitely true when it comes to the Axe. I've programed some incredible sophisticated patches on the Axe that no other unit could do. having things like Freeze etc. as simple commands in a block could make things a little easier on the processing side though and free up some blocks/modifiers for other things...

those are really cool presets. i love that the Axe is capable of all that...I guess sometimes I wish there were just preset blocks that covered the same ground, like you find in Boxes like the Timeline and Big Sky. It's not a complaint, just a wish. Admittedly a lazy one, but a wish nonetheless.

Hey Java,

Sorry to bother you with this. I'm obviously such a noob because I barely understood how you got these sounds. I have an Ultra and I suspect I can get pretty close, but, would you mind explaining your setting for a massive guitar layperson? If it's too much to ask, no worries--I get it.

To help: I DID find the diffusor in the multidelay. I just don't understand the rest of what you said. For instance, your answer about the cabs. I did find a 4x12 v30 in the Ultra, but I had no idea what OH means, etc.

Like I said, if it's too much to write up, no worries. Thanks

Hey Java,

Sorry to bother you with this. I'm obviously such a noob because I barely understood how you got these sounds. I have an Ultra and I suspect I can get pretty close, but, would you mind explaining your setting for a massive guitar layperson? If it's too much to ask, no worries--I get it.

To help: I DID find the diffusor in the multidelay. I just don't understand the rest of what you said. For instance, your answer about the cabs. I did find a 4x12 v30 in the Ultra, but I had no idea what OH means, etc.

Like I said, if it's too much to write up, no worries. Thanks

OH = Own Hammer. They are a company that does User cabs. I wouldn't worry about that for this example. I'll give you the settings I used when I get home. You should have much problem getting it with the Ultra.

Oh great, man. Thanks! I've had my Ultra for a while, but I've never dug into it too deeply. I just decided that I really want to go a bit further and try to dial in effects I really like, so...thanks. :)

Setting for Cloud Verb for Ultra Users

Cloud 1
Multidelay
time 1 84ms, time 2 96ms, time 3 74ms, time 4 64ms, mix 100%, lfo depth 10%. The rest at default

Chorus - analog stereo, 1 hz rate, depth 7%, lfo type sine, lfo phase 90, delay time 5ms, auto depth off, width 100%, spread 100%, mix 100%, the rest at default

Reverb - Use a large one and 5.5 sec time, 100% mix

Rout something like this:
cloud1.JPG

Thanks so much, Java. I haven't had a chance to try and dial this in, but will do tomorrow. I'll write a reply to let you know how I do. Seriously thankful though, man. This stuff gets intimidating when you're trying to learn all alone so...very cool to have someone willing to help. And I see you're in Denver too, so...go Bronkies!

I was a click away from ordering the Blue Sky when I thought to check the Forum and found these gorgeous presets. Thank you, they are beautiful. To those who own the Blue Sky: Do your recommend this device? Will it play well with my Axe Fx II?

Hey Java, just an update: this preset made my Ultra sound better than it ever has. Seriously. Thanks a million, man.

Java! This sounds so sick. I just tried some of these presets you shared, to my ears these patches nail the Strymon cloud sound. Excellent work. I might use these for this weekend's setlist. Thanks a ton!

Setting for Cloud Verb for Ultra Users

Thanks for taking the time to upload the individual settings. I don't get much time during the week to get the Axe-Fx set up and connected to the computer to investigate preset configurations. I was able to quickly add these blocks and their settings to one of my presets in 5 minutes before practice, and the results were magnificent. Thank you!

Lately I have some GAS for the Nuenaber stereo wet reverb. That is my favourite reverb pedal at the moment. Very simple and good sounding. I haven't heard a reverb preset in the Axe that kicked the Nuenaber's ass! :) To get such a nice ambient reverb you have to use the plex delay instead of the reverb block I guess. But still it is hard to make it sound as nice as this one (especially the sound from 5:00 and on). Also really like Java's presets but this Nuenaber sounds a bit more organic and smooth somehow:

Last edited:
Lately I have some GAS for the Nuenaber stereo wet reverb. That is my favourite reverb pedal at the moment. Very simple and good sounding. I haven't heard a reverb preset in the Axe that kicked the Nuenaber's ass! :) To get such a nice ambient reverb you have to use the plex delay instead of the reverb block I guess. But still it is hard to make it sound as nice as this one (especially the sound from 5:00 and on). Also really like Java's presets but this Nuenaber sounds a bit more organic and smooth somehow:

Awesome ! ,

Got it. Soo beautiful. It plays well with fender amps as well, I tried deluxe verb. And I tossed in the pitch shifters from The Planets. Now that is truely galactic.

I changed the eq in the reverb a bit, cut out low end below 250hz and upped the mid boost to a higher freq. that sings in a higher voice.

Thank you Java!

Back
Top Bottom