Stratocaster - Try again? Or punt...

As a more than 3 decade Strat guy, it is "fact" that the 7.25" radius had\has the string fretting issue. All my Strats are 9.5". My Avatar Strat has a somewhat fat neck for a Strat.
This thread resonated with me because I have the same\but opposite issue as the OP.
I am wanting an HB LP type of guitar. Good thread imho!

Glad you found one that you liked. Looks beautiful.

And the Silver Sky has none of the issues. So how'd they do it?

Someone is wrong. Can't have it be a truism and not true in this case.

Given that 7.25" radius necks have historically had issues bending/choking, etc. when it's asked if this guitar has those issues I don't know why that perfectly reasonable question/concern wasn't simply answered with "no, this guitar doesn't exhibit that problem" (for whatever reason)....nothing "weird" about anything, nor the person asking it.

Last edited:
Given that 7.25" radius necks have historically had issues bending/choking, etc. when it's asked if this guitar has those issues I don't know why that perfectly reasonable question/concern wasn't simply answered with "no, this guitar doesn't exhibit that problem" (for whatever reason)....nothing "weird" about anything, nor the person asking it.
It was expressed as "this is a problem with 7.25" radius guitars" though -- which, clearly it isn't universally true.

But whatever.

Given that 7.25" radius necks have historically had issues bending/choking, etc. when it's asked if this guitar has those issues I don't know why that perfectly reasonable question/concern wasn't simply answered with "no, this guitar doesn't exhibit that problem"....nothing "weird" about anything, nor the person asking it.
It was expressed as "this is a problem with 7.25" radius guitars" though -- which, clearly it isn't universally true.

But whatever.
No, it was expressed as most. It was also expressed as all the ones I have played. Unless you have specific information as to all the guitars I have played over the last 53 years, you can't argue that can you! Big difference when you actually look at the facts! The only ways I have seen to get around the issue is to either set the action of the high E string much higher than the rest or have the frets filed & dressed to a flatter radius, with of which are not acceptable for me. If PDS has pulled it off, I will say so after I play one. ( actually the place I am going to has 3) If they didn't to my satisfaction/playing style, I will say that too. It's not a religion. It's a ()&@^$()#@(+_ guitar!

No, it was expressed as most. It was also expressed as all the ones I have played. Unless you have specific information as to all the guitars I have played over the last 53 years, you can't argue that can you! Big difference when you actually look at the facts! The only ways I have seen to get around the issue is to either set the action of the high E string much higher than the rest or have the frets filed & dressed to a flatter radius, with of which are not acceptable for me. If PDS has pulled it off, I will say so after I play one. ( actually the place I am going to has 3) If they didn't to my satisfaction/playing style, I will say that too. It's not a religion. It's a ()&@^$()#@(+_ guitar!
I’m curious to hear back after you play one.

I’m curious to hear back after you play one.
I should be able to get out there in a day or so. I'm really not trying to attack the guitar. I am just skeptical it would work for me based on my experience with other guitars that have that radius. I mainly play Andersons & much prefer them but also have a couple of Suhrs, a Tuttle & a Melancon. They are all great guitars in their own way. I just prefer the Andersons. Some prefer the Suhrs. It'a all good. Everyone should use what works best for them.

Yes, it is whatever works for you. This guitar in particular 'fits' me. I could understand how it might not work for others...it's like motorcycles: some you feel comfortable riding, others feel like you're fighting each other to stay on the road.

I am curious to see how others feel once they play it to see if there are similar results.

I'm not sure what "solo starts 30s after that mark" means. Anyway, a terrible sounding cell phone video is not going to tell me anything anyway. It may work great for him. It may work great for you. I may not work for me. The ONLY way for me to tell is for me to play it. Even if it turns out I hate the guitar. So what? How does that affect you? I don't get this whole "religious cult" mentality regarding gear. There are many choice for a good reason because a one size fits all approach doesn't work.

I did come across an interesting review that speaks to this exact point. What it sounds like they are saying is PRS used the age old trick of leveling the frets in a way to create a flatter (compound) radius higher up on the neck. No magic. No new revelation. No defying physics. All well & good. Heres the quote & link to the article.

Although received wisdom suggests that the combination of a medium-low action and big string bends might lead to problems with fretting out in certain positions, thanks to PRS’s approach to fret levelling, performance is trouble free, and even when we try to trip the guitar up with some huge bends, it doesn’t blink. When we canvassed the opinion of highly technical players accustomed to much flatter ’boards, the Silver Sky didn’t present any problems – blues-rockers certainly shouldn’t have any trouble when bending strings here.

The Silver Sky apparently ships with some of the most specific set-up guidelines of any PRS to date, which includes the vibrato being set for downward travel only. This is intended to help sonically by coupling the bridge plate to the body when the bar isn’t in use. PRS says: “By keeping the bridge in contact with the body, the guitar itself is acoustically louder, which improves the signal to noise ratio of the single-coil pickups.” If you prefer a floating set-up then that’s easily achievable too – we don’t notice a significant increase in noise when putting his to the test, but the guitar possibly offers a little additional treble zing when configured this way. It’s very subtle.
https://guitar.com/review/prs-silver-sky/

I'm not sure what "solo starts 30s after that mark" means.
The video is queued up to start beyond the 0:00 mark and then 30 seconds after that point you can observe plenty of large bends above the 12th fret occurring without issue.

I did come across an interesting review that speaks to this exact point. What it sounds like they are saying is PRS used the age old trick of leveling the frets in a way to create a flatter (compound) radius higher up on the neck. No magic. No new revelation. No defying physics. All well & good. Heres the quote & link to the article.
Good find. Says a lot about what you can learn from specs on a page. The devil is always in the details.

Good find. Says a lot about what you can learn from specs on a page. The devil is always in the details.
Exactly. Also, mentioning a med-low setup is kind of meaningless without a specific string height measurement. One man's medium low is another too high & another's too low. I am curious to check it out. The smallest radius guitar I have is a Suhr with a 9-12 compound radius & it is very comfortable chording in the lower half of the neck. We'll see.

Last edited:
Put a cap in this one. 10 days later, I would think that I was able to find flaws, or niggling details that I didn't like. If anything else, this is the guitar that I've always wanted. Again, I'm having trouble finding BAD tones here. Haven't found an amp that it doesn't like.

I'm all in now on PRS. The quality and playability on this is off the charts. At a nice price.

-R

Back
Top Bottom