Strandberg RESQ:D line? I6T?

Cem

Experienced
I have a Pre-NX Boden Metal 7. Black one with fixed bridge, Ebony fretboard and roasted maple neck. It was a great deal when I bought it B-stock (it was brand new). I was very pleased with the neck and the physical aspects of the guitar, and how it vibrated. I wasn't happy with the pickups (AT ALL, those fishmans are so not for me), I ordered a custom Bare Knuckle Juggernaut set and the guitar is a tone machine. Can do EVERYTHING, I just love it.

But doing pop gigs with a 7 string without tremolo doesn't necessarily work, and I don't wanna take the Suhrs everywhere. It's so much easier to travel with the Strandberg and FM9. That's the background.

I am a fan of Ebony fretboard, and I have to have a tremolo bridge.

I am considering getting a RESQ'd Topaz I6T. I6T being a Plini NX Body apparently. Chambered mahogany, maple/richlite neck, Oem pickups. There is a used local one, for a good price.

A bit worried about the followings:

- 6 string strandberg nut width (the times I tested a couple of strat model Strandbergs, the nut width really felt narrow, but I believe I can get used to it.) I guess that's the reason I love the 7 so much, cus it's actually a very narrow 7. It's annoying that they dropped the roasted maple neck, but it is what it is...

- Richlite fretboard. Is it actually nice to touch? How does it compare to an ebony strandberg?

- OEM pickups. The demos online are really MEH. Most of them playing either Neural Archetype plugins, or some weirdly mixed/produced full on music video stuff. If anybody has any hands on experience to how the OEM Humbuckers in those compare to the SSV/SSH+ combo, I'd be happy to hear the input.

I love how the color looks, have no issues with a solid color body. Price is good enough for me to be able to justify the upcost of eventually getting a 6 string Juggernaut set if I don't like the OEM pickups. (don't let the Periphery signature-being fool you. Those pickups are FIRE!)

What do you guys think? https://strandbergguitars.com/eu/product/boden-resqd-topaz-blue/

i love ebony fingerboards and i have a richlite board on a gibson midtown custom that i have. the feel is very similar. it's hard and responsive in the same way that ebony is. i don't think you will even notice the difference, it's so similar.

Reactions: Cem
i love ebony fingerboards and i have a richlite board on a gibson midtown custom that i have. the feel is very similar. it's hard and responsive in the same way that ebony is. i don't think you will even notice the difference, it's so similar.
That's very promising, thanks simeon! Hearing that Richlite is made from paper doesn't necessarily feel that reassuring :D

I have the 6 string version of your guitar (but with Fishmans, I love em). But yeah the neck does feel a bit on the narrow side, I'm not so sure the EndurNeck profile works as well on a 6-er.

I've had my eye on a trem model though. If you do end up going with it, would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure Strandberg just put their OEM pickups in the Resq'd models because its a bit silly trying to sell a guitar without pickups! Almost certainly they'll all end up being replaced.

I have the 6 string version of your guitar (but with Fishmans, I love em). But yeah the neck does feel a bit on the narrow side, I'm not so sure the EndurNeck profile works as well on a 6-er.

I've had my eye on a trem model though. If you do end up going with it, would love to hear your thoughts.
It's on its way. I guess arriving around wednesday-thursday. I will let you know. Can post some audio files comparing it to a suhr and the other strandberg with BKP Jugs.

A little late, but I have a Boden Prog NX6 and the Richlite board is great. Like these things it’s not 100% like a “GOOD” piece of Ebony, but it serves all the purposes we love Ebony so much. I have a PRS with a very nice Gabon Ebony and it’s the best fretboard I have had, but I would have no problems putting down the PRS and picking up the Standberg and being just as happy.

Were you able to find out which OEM pickups (or pups period) it has? I know the newer OEM’s have gotten decent reviews. As far as nut width, not sure what to say. It’s not super wide, but I got large hands and fingers and don’t have any problems. Although I have learned how to make my fingers work on most guitars.🤪

Standberg’s seem to bring on the wildly varying opinions and heated discussions and although I don’t own an older Strandberg it appears if you have a really, really nice pre Boden that the less expensive new Strandberg's might not be as thrilling. I have the attitude to judge these things based on all the factors and make sure I’m being fair. All I can really say is I love my Boden Prog NX6! I feel Ola works hard to make sure all the line is of a high quality for the money.

Looking forward to your opinion.

A little late, but I have a Boden Prog NX6 and the Richlite board is great. Like these things it’s not 100% like a “GOOD” piece of Ebony, but it serves all the purposes we love Ebony so much. I have a PRS with a very nice Gabon Ebony and it’s the best fretboard I have had, but I would have no problems putting down the PRS and picking up the Standberg and being just as happy.

Were you able to find out which OEM pickups (or pups period) it has? I know the newer OEM’s have gotten decent reviews. As far as nut width, not sure what to say. It’s not super wide, but I got large hands and fingers and don’t have any problems. Although I have learned how to make my fingers work on most guitars.🤪

Standberg’s seem to bring on the wildly varying opinions and heated discussions and although I don’t own an older Strandberg it appears if you have a really, really nice pre Boden that the less expensive new Strandberg's might not be as thrilling. I have the attitude to judge these things based on all the factors and make sure I’m being fair. All I can really say is I love my Boden Prog NX6! I feel Ola works hard to make sure all the line is of a high quality for the money.

Looking forward to your opinion.
The guitar is from the Topaz run 6 months ago. So the newest OEM pickups.

I don’t mind the OEM passives as long as it’s not fishman fluences. It was such a pain to replace them to passives in my Boden metal 7.

If I need to, it will be just a swap. Though, at this price point expecting Suhr pickups would be a bit crazy but seeing the 3k ish Signature models shipping with OEMs nowadays is kinda scary.

I wouldn’t be paying that amount for sure.

Really excited about the Richlite now. If I can agree with the nut width, it will be a keeper. Pickups are easy to fix, but nut width is not.

Also… this will be my first maple neck guitar that isn’t roasted maple since 2012. Hopefully it’s not some sticky surface that I will need to sand down 😬

Also… this will be my first maple neck guitar that isn’t roasted maple since 2012. Hopefully it’s not some sticky surface that I will need to sand down 😬
I think you’ll be happy with the maple neck. It’s finished a little bit, but very smooth and silky.

I have a Boden RESQ:D Topaz Blue. The nut is 42mm which is about the same as my Suhr Modern and Ibanez AZ. The richlite feels like the fretboards on my Suhr and Gibson ebony fretboards. The pickups are decent. I haven't swapped them out for anything yet. If I do it will be for aesthetics - I think white will look good on the blue. :)

Back
Top Bottom