Stewart Audio World 1.2 --vs-- Art SLA-2

JGR said:
srooijens said:
Jase2677 said:
Someone also recommended Crest poweramps, but if you do like 10 minutes of research you can quickily find that they are basically a Peavey poweramp and I don't remember them making anything I really get over excited about.

The Crest power amp everyone likes are the ones from before Crest was taken over by Peavey (10+ years old), not so much the current product lines.

S.R.

That is typical internet BS.

:shock: No it isn't.
Do you have any experience with the old Crest amplifiers? I do.
Their reputation is built on a lot more than just internet hype.

S.R.

S.R.[/quote]

That is typical internet BS.[/quote]

:shock: No it isn't.
Do you have any experience with the old Crest amplifiers? I do.
Their reputation is built on a lot more than just internet hype.

S.R.[/quote]

Yessir, it is.

I have a CA9 - probably not that old. Great amp. Very popular in the sound reinforcement and bass playing arenas.

Please enlighten us as to the specifics of how Peavey ruined my amplifier and the company.

Changes to circuit design, components, QC, etc., and show me some real information that supports it. Otherwise, you are just spewing unsubstantiated internet BS.

Hi Prometh,
I've been using a Stewart World 600 amp as part of my AxeFx Ultra rig for about two years now and I think it's a great amp with the Axe.
Im running it into a pair of Port City 112 Wave cabs loaded with Jensen Neo Tornados, and Its amazing sounding to me.

I was initially looking for a World 1.2 but I found a good deal on the 600 on the Bay and went for it.
It's plenty powerful and light weight, I've played many shows with this rig and never had an issue.

Peace & Blessings

Thanks, shredward. I'll have to do some research on some of the stuff you've mentioned, but as for the World 600, my 1.2's in the mail already :)

Good to hear it's running great for ya. I've heard the Stewarts overheat in bridged mode, but I'll never need that anyway cuz I need stereo. But, have you had any experience using it that way?

prometh said:
Thanks, shredward. I'll have to do some research on some of the stuff you've mentioned, but as for the World 600, my 1.2's in the mail already :)

Good to hear it's running great for ya. I've heard the Stewarts overheat in bridged mode, but I'll never need that anyway cuz I need stereo. But, have you had any experience using it that way?

Are you the guy who just bought the 1.2 off of eBay?
$284.09. Nice score whoever it was.

prometh said:
You the guy who sold it to me? ;)
I almost bid on it too but he wouldn't sell to Canada.

EDIT: Did you edit the comment that I'm responding to above or something?

When I asked if you had been the person who just bought a 1.2 off eBay I thought you responded with "Something like that".
That's what I was responding to above with "I almost bid on it too...etc."

To answer your question above: No, I am not the guy who sold it to you.

Jase2677 said:
Yessir, it is.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree then. I still say it isn't

Jase2677 said:
I have a CA9 - probably not that old. Great amp. Very popular in the sound reinforcement and bass playing arenas.

Please enlighten us as to the specifics of how Peavey ruined my amplifier and the company.

I never claimed Peavey ruined your amplifier and the company.
Don't try to put words in my mouth I never said.

Congrats, you have a great amplifier. AFAIK Peavey did not change the CA series.. but they existed since before Peavey took over, this is still an OLD design!

Now go compare your CA directly with a CPX series and say again that the new designs are as good as the old ones!
With the designs Crest introduced since Peavey took over they never would have built the great reputation they have now.
They're not bad at all, just not as exceptional as the old designs were.

S.R.

Stewart vs Art......... thanks for mentioning Crest above, but this isn't the place to argue in DETAIL.

srooijens said:
Jase2677 said:
Yessir, it is.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree then. I still say it isn't

Jase2677 said:

I never claimed Peavey ruined your amplifier and the company.
Don't try to put words in my mouth I never said.

Congrats, you have a great amplifier. AFAIK Peavey did not change the CA series.. but they existed since before Peavey took over, this is still an OLD design!

Now go compare your CA directly with a CPX series and say again that the new designs are as good as the old ones!
With the designs Crest introduced since Peavey took over they never would have built the great reputation they have now.
They're not bad at all, just not as exceptional as the old designs were.

S.R.

Fair enough, peace.

Not when it's used it isn't. With a little luck, you should find a good deal on eBay and Craigslist

Stewart World 1.2 arrived yesterday. Finally.. fuggin was held at the border for like 2 weeks.

+1 Sounds great! Smooth, punchy, distortion-free bass and all details well defined. No wonder bassists use it, and it's AWESOME for metal. Max presence in Axe-Fx settings didn't sound the same as presence on my Mesa 20/20, so at first it was dull. But, with some high frequency tweaking on the Axe-Fx, I got it to sound exactly like my old equipment through the same speaker. Well, almost exactly; the only difference being the power stage saturation, but that's an entirely separate issue.

+1 Volume knobs are segmented (or "detented") for accurate stereo volume matching.

-1 Not as loud as my Mesa 20/20 in stereo mode (200w/channel) at identical knob positions. I didn't blast it, so I don't know if the Stewart would continue to get louder while the Mesa plateaus. I also haven't tried bridged mode 'cuz my Celestion G12T-75 cab is only 8Ω, and from the little bit I know about that stuff, different ohms don't mix. Plus, I don't have banana cables.

-1 Heating issue. After 2 hours of switching back and forth between it and the Mesa, the front panel felt pretty warm (hot, but could leave my hand on it) and that was slightly spreading (about 1cm) to the surrounding rack units. The manual recommends placing an open rack space (probably ⅓U) above and below for airflow. I, unfortunately do not have this space available in my current rack, but I should be alright since I'm not playing in bridged mode.

-1 Physically pretty deep. It extends right to the back of my 19" rack, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for any permanent straight-angled XLR inputs. But, nothing some right-angled connectors can't fix.

+1 1U form factor. Doesn't take much space in a rack, even with the recommended ⅓U venting space.

+1 Lightweight. Only 11lbs.

±1 Powers up slowly after unplugging or turning off a power strip/conditioner. This is both good and bad. It's bad 'cuz you gotta wait about a minute, but it's good 'cuz if you got 5 of these hooked up to 1 wall outlet, it's not gonna trip a breaker.

-1? Front panel's power switch may have an issue. Inside the unit I received, the wires connecting to the switch are rather loose. In fact, I couldn't switch off until I opened it up. This could've just been due to USPS dickheads, but something to look into if you're gonna take this thing on a plane.

If you can get one used for a good deal on craigslist or ebay, I'd recommend it even though it heats up. I got mine for $350 CAD. The bass player I bought it from claimed he only played it in bridged mode; so, to me that sounds promising, but take that as you will. He also claimed that the only reason he was getting rid of it was because he got a great deal on a World 2.1 (not 1.2). I would not buy this brand new at $900+ unless I was making a lot of money with it, which I am not since music is only my hobby.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom