Steve Vai "I Know You're Here" Sound Possible?

Zonk

I've been wondering about this since 2004. In the live performance of "I Know You're Here" on the 2003 G3 DVD, the 12 string guitar on his triple neck makes this unbelievable sound. I want to know if this is possible on the Axe FX II. I can't tell what kind of effect this is, but it must be something on his Eventide processor. I don't have an Axe FX yet, but I'm coming up on the wait list very soon; possibly tomorrow (not that this effect is a deciding factor).

Sounds like "no problem" for the Axe to me.
A mix of swelling, organ, pitch, pitch crystal FX and reverb? It tires quickly actually ;) Might be plenty similar stuff in the stock presets alone.

Last edited:
Thats no problem for the Axe ;)
There are good starting points for such things in the factory presets. Don't forget that Steve tuned the 12-string neck to a chord.

i reckon that's just crystals (and possible some reverb after). i think they're mixed very wet, so there's not much original signal coming through (if any). sometimes crystals can sound a bit like an organ (dunno why). because of the pre-delay, it gives that "swell" effect as well

The sound is possible but requires a Korg Triton keyboard and one of the greatest musicians alive, Tony MacAlpine to pull off.... What you're hearing in the recording is Tony/Keys... but obviously a similar effect is/can be easily done with the Axe.

In the video you're hearing- an open tuned 12 strings, fretless 6 string w/sustainer, regular 6 string electric with looper and the rest of the band

i have to respectfully disagree. when he hits the 12 string at 4:49, i think it's just processed guitar. i can hear it.

Now we just need a triple necked guitar.. I've been trying to learn how to play this song ever since I saw this video on MySpace in like '08. I believe the 12 string is made to play a g chord.

I dunno man, Matt seems to agree, and he worked with Vai a short while ago, so I'd reckon he knows what's goin on...

Tony eventually begins playing a basic string pad. On the DVD w/ camera angle 1 (youtube vid is angle 2) he can be seen walking behind the drums to his keyboards 10 seconds after the first 12-string chord (the one at 4:49).

Back
Top Bottom