Steve Howe "Relayer" tone

I just found this one by total accident.

Use the FAS Crunch amp block at stock settings into the 2x12 Jazz 120 57C speaker block and you are really close to Steve Howe's tone on the Relayer album. Thank me later if you've been a sound chaser.

Great finding! Thanks for sharing. Now I wish I could learn to play the whole album by accident 😅

What guitar are you using? IIRC he played most of Relayer w/ a Tele.
I've never heard this before about the Tele on Relayer. I just didn't know. But this seems a bit odd considering his long time penchant for the 175 all these years. Can you share a little more background about it?

I've never heard this before about the Tele on Relayer. I just didn't know. But this seems a bit odd considering his long time penchant for the 175 all these years. Can you share a little more background about it?
I just read an interview with him from a couple years ago where he talks about how he pretty much switched up the primary guitar on every album.

I've seen them live several times over the years starting back to about '78 up to more recent times just before losing Chris and I think I've always seen Steve with the 175 in all those cases. So I guess I just happened to miss how much experimented with the other guitars. Sounds like that was mostly in the studio maybe or did he do this live also? (Live at QPR notwithstanding of course)

I've seen them live several times over the years starting back to about '78 up to more recent times just before losing Chris and I think I've always seen Steve with the 175 in all those cases. So I guess I just happened to miss how much experimented with the other guitars. Sounds like that was mostly in the studio maybe or did he do this live also? (Live at QPR notwithstanding of course)
Live as well. He kept using the 175 on the old classics (ie up through Tales from Topographic Oceans) so that's what you still see the most, but he started using other guitars more often after that - the ABWH album had a lot of Strat, and then he got into other guitars especially after the mid-90s. He played the Tele live on Awaken since they didn't play the Relayer songs after '76 except for a couple of tours where they played Gates of Delerium.

QPR is such a great show - I wish there was a good sounding version.

Steve used the ES-175D on The Yes Album, except, obviously on Your Move (Portuguese 12 string unique EBEBEAb Tuning) and The Clap).
Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster on Fragile - Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Long Distance Runaround; and ES-175D on Heart of the Sunrise.
Close to the Edge - Gibson ES-345 and Coral Electric Sitar; Fender Table Steel, Chris Squier’s 12 string on And You and I, and some ES-175 on Siberian Khatru - all mostly through Fender Dual Showman amps and then Twin Reverbs (Silver Face).
Relayer - yep, that Fender Tele with a Humbucker in the neck pickup. Fender Dual Table Steel (different tunings on each neck) on To Be Over and Gates, Coral Sitar on To Be Over. HOTS and TBO are in my top 5 Yes Songs

Obviously from my avatar, i’m a progrocker. There are certain progressive rock songs that are just absolutely beautiful in composition, melody, arrangement, production, and instrumentation.

Here’s my list that even after over 40 years of listening to them can still make turn into a pool of tears: Xanadu, Firth of Fifth, One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops, Heart of the Sunrise (Yessongs version), To Be Over, Turn of the Century, Dogs (the harmony guitar sections - wow), Jerusalem, forgot Supper's Ready, Thick as Brick Side 1, Stairway and Thank You, and special mention to Bohemian Rhapsody, Carry On Wayward Son, and More Than a Feeling (everything in those song, and I mean everything - (Freddie's Steve's, and Brad's lead and vocal harmonies - holy crap. I'd love to be in the room when the band heard the final mixdown).

and a few non-prog songs that have powerful lyrics or existential meaning to me:. Baker Street (the sax melody - the sax player says he's still upset that his sax is 11 cents sharp - LIKE WTF?), Daniel, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Gimme Shelter (absolutely the Stones best song tied with Sympathy for the Devil), We Just Disagree, All Along the WatchTower (best cover version ever, especially when learning the meaning of Dylan's lyrics and that the last verse is really the first verse), Rhiannon (thank the producers for ditching Stevie's original second verse), I've Been Searching So Long (should be on every musician's list), Won't Get Fooled Again (Ron Howard would narrate, "We Will"), and Something/Abbey Road Side 2, especially "The End" - if that doesn't make you tear up, I don't know what song would.

I can these "when I kick the bucket list."

I'd love to see other people's list of song that touch their nerves. Cosmologists and Theorectical Physicists know that what we perceive as particles are in reality wave functions. What are Waves? Vibrations and Oscillations - exactly what music is, just a bunch of waves at different frequencies. Literally a symphony. Is it any surprise that we are powerfully drawn to music, whether as a player, composer, engineer, producer, or just a listener?

Now, back to my personal crapsack simulation bad place world as a trademark lawyer. Music and loved ones are the only things that keep me going.

Here’s my list ...
Great stuff! As another big prog fan I'll add Gates of Delirium, Awaken, Afterglow (!), The Musical Box, The Battle of Evermore, The Rain Song, Lucky Man, Short & Sweet, Fooling Yourself, and a few less-known things like Spock's Beard The Distance to the Sun, June, The Doorway, Walking on the Wind, At the End of the Day, Wind at my Back; Flower Kings' Church of Your Heart, Stardust We Are... and so many more.

In the non-prog genre, there's just too many to even try to start...

Back
Top Bottom