Step Phaser?

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys, I remember a Phaser I had on an old Korg multi effects unit that had a stepped LFO to control the Phaser. With high resonance settings you could get some really cool sounds out of it. I have not been able to achieve this with the Axe Fx. I remember trying to get something like it ages ago but couldn't get there.

I was wondering if the inclusion of a stepped LFO could be an interesting addition? Currently the closest there is is the Random LFO but that simply alternates between random steps rather than a stepped oscillation. Also it'd be nice to be able to add a small amount of damping to the steps of the Square and Random LFO rather than a hard shift from one value to another. This can sound really cool having a slight glide between different steps.

Again even being able to control the oscillation of the Phaser with the Sequencer would be great. Similar to that of the wah block when doing a sequenced wah type effect.Just ideas.

It'd be nice to be able to select the Sequencer as an LFO source. What do you guys think?

Set the depth of the phaser to 0, then attach the Frequency start to the sequencer. Make the min and max something like 110-1000hz and then go into the sequencer and adjust the faders to make your pattern. Easy peasy.

Here's a clip

Last edited:
Set the depth of the phaser to 0, then attach the Frequency start to the sequencer. Make the min and max something like 110-1000hz and then go into the sequencer and adjust the faders to make your pattern. Easy peasy.

Here's a clip

Oh thank you so much!!! I really mean that. I had never thought of that approach. This is perfectly what I was trying to do. Awesome!!!!

What is also cool about doing it this way is that you can apply some damping to the waveform. Perfect.

Oh thank you so much!!! I really mean that. I had never thought of that approach. This is perfectly what I was trying to do. Awesome!!!!

What is also cool about doing it this way is that you can apply some damping to the waveform. Perfect.
No prob. You can also up the normal rate control a bit to have it modulate the modulation, or do something like attach an envelope to the feedback so when you first dig in it'll be more pronounced. The possibilities are endless!

Yeah it was the Korg Ax300G. There were definitely some cool sounds in there. I should try and track my old one down and clone some of it.

I still have my Korg AX30G, AX300G, AX30B, AX300B. They also have a cool FX called Random Step Filter that I've been able to replicate pretty close on the Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx III. I'm going to have to try out this Step Phaser on the Axe-Fx. I think I'll dust off one of my old Korg pedals and play around with it. There was an awesome sounding Envelope Filter in the AX30B.

Here's a clip

Like a boss! Lol nice

Here's a clip

Any chance you'd share the preset? Or at least snapshot of sequencer/phaser so can see settings

What do you mean quantised to some number of steps. How does that work? As far as I know the triangle LFO ramps up and down between to two values only.

"Quantize" parameter of LFOs in control menu. Set one to triangle and assign as phaser freq. source, then try various quantize values.

Back
Top Bottom