Stand in switches not working with 4.01 beta

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I just updated from 3.0 to 4.01 and now my stand in stand in switches are not work as they previously were. I checked the settings they appear to all be the same and set up correctly.
I have a dual switch with a Y cable in pedal 2 and 3.
One button does incr preset +1 and the other -1. Holding the -1 should activate tuner.
+1 is working fine. Now the -1 Activates the tuner when pressed not held. And holding does nothing.
Anyone else having any possible bugs ?

Last edited:
I have 3 stand-in switches and have no issues.

First check the switch jack settings on each switch. Then check the actual switch definitions on the layout.

There has to be a bug.
When I set the hold function to decrease preset then it works when I just press and don’t hold. Something isn’t right

Somewhere along the way, things got changed on the settings for switches.

Before that change, normally closed momentary switches did not work for both Tap and Hold.

And go get them working I seem to recall I had mine set as normally open.

I am not certain which firmware fixed it, but it might have been 4.0.

Make sure you're switch settings are correct for the type of switches you have.

Edit:

Yep, it was in FW 4.0

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-4-00-public-beta-1.189062/#post-2343210

Last edited:
Somewhere along the way, things got changed on the settings for switches.

Before that change, normally closed momentary switches did not work for both Tap and Hold.

And go get them working I seem to recall I had mine set as normally open.

I am not certain which firmware fixed it, but it might have been 4.0.

Make sure you're switch settings are correct for the type of switches you have.

Edit:

Yep, it was in FW 4.0

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-4-00-public-beta-1.189062/#post-2343210
I was on 3.0 and had functions for both tap and hold
I’m using the mosky dual normally open.
It was working before. Not sure what changed.
If the polarity got switched then I would just have functions working in reverse. I’m not getting both tap and hold to both work.

I was on 3.0 and had functions for both tap and hold
I’m using the mosky dual normally open.
It was working before. Not sure what changed.
If the polarity got switched then I would just have functions working in reverse. I’m not getting both tap and hold to both work.
What switch settings should I be using then ?

Reversed polarity will cause problems with tap and hold. If the polarity is mismatched, you would need to hold down the switch and only briefly release and then re-press and hold it to make the tap function fire and it will fire the hold function after you let go of the switch for anything longer than the hold timeout setting.

I just updated from 3.0 to 4.01 and now my stand in stand in switches are not work as they previously were. I checked the settings they appear to all be the same and set up correctly.
I have a dual switch with a Y cable in pedal 2 and 3.
One button does incr preset +1 and the other -1. Holding the -1 should activate tuner.
+1 is working fine. Now the -1 Activates the tuner when pressed not held. And holding does nothing.
Anyone else having any possible bugs ?
Just to allay your fears, I experienced something similar when updating to current firmware. All it required was reconfiguring my external stand-ins from the front panel to current firmware. Apparently, updating firmware sometimes doesn't always carry over externals to current system.

Try this: If you've made any layout changes (or not) be sure the decrease (-1) is set for tap momentary make, and the HOLD is latching (from the front panel).

For some reason, tap should always read momentary, whereas hold may not work correctly if it is also momentary. The workaround may be that you'll need to hold the tuner for both on/off (1 second), but that is a small price to pay for getting it set up correctly.

Am hoping this will solve your problem. I've got something else to add, but will wait until others chime in when their wi-fi works better.

Last edited:
Just to allay your fears, I experienced something similar when updating to current firmware. All it required was reconfiguring my external stand-ins from the front panel to current firmware. Apparently, updating firmware sometimes doesn't always carry over externals to current system.

Try this: If you've made any layout changes (or not) be sure the decrease (-1) is set for tap momentary make, and the HOLD is latching (from the front panel).

For some reason, tap should always read momentary, whereas hold may not work correctly if it is also momentary. The workaround may be that you'll need to hold the tuner for both on/off (1 second), but that is a small price to pay for getting it set up correctly.

Am hoping this will solve your problem. I've got something else to add, but will wait until others chime in when their wi-fi works better.
There's no reason for the Hold to be latching to work.

I have 3 external Normally Closed switches and Tap/Hold work just fine with everything set as momentary.

There's no reason for the Hold to be latching to work.

I have 3 external Normally Closed switches and Tap/Hold work just fine with everything set as momentary.
Hmm. When simeon helped me set up my sustainer/feedback switch, he said to set it to momentary tap and not use hold at all. I'm trying to remember where I read something about tap functions must be momentary. Someone else will have to help describe if the hold can also be momentary (doesn't make sense that it would work, unless the tuner will be used as momentary only).

My thought was the OP would wish to step up and off with a hold latching so the OP wouldn't lose his balance or similar...which could happen...think about it, standing stationary with your foot up trying to tune and not move your foot.

I'm sure guys do similar when they've got their foot up on the bar rail, but yeah, the foot moves then as well...

Hmm. When simeon helped me set up my sustainer/feedback switch, he said to set it to momentary tap and not use hold at all. I'm trying to remember where I read something about tap functions must be momentary. Someone else will have to help describe if the hold can also be momentary (doesn't make sense that it would work, unless the tuner will be used as momentary only).

My thought was the OP would wish to step up and off with a hold latching so the OP wouldn't lose his balance or similar...which could happen...think about it, standing stationary with your foot up trying to tune and not move your foot.

I'm sure guys do similar when they've got their foot up on the bar rail, but yeah, the foot moves then as well...
His Hold function is for Tuner.

It doesn't need latching.

Also, the OP is not trying to make a momentary switch like a Sustainer effect. Just a normal Tap function.

To continue this thread for firmware 4.01 Beta 1 with another stand-in swith problem:

Problem: I have to press the stand-in switch consistently 4 times to get processed.

Please look at the video and the images in https://photos.app.goo.gl/eR5g1N9BVPAY1naDA.
I have tested this with 2 different TS-cables and 2 different footswitches (a BOSS FS-5U and a BOSS FS-7).
I have assigned other Layouts and other Switches with the same results.
Any ideas?

To continue this thread for firmware 4.01 Beta 1 with another stand-in swith problem:

Problem: I have to press the stand-in switch consistently 4 times to get processed.

Please look at the video and the images in https://photos.app.goo.gl/eR5g1N9BVPAY1naDA.
I have tested this with 2 different TS-cables and 2 different footswitches (a BOSS FS-5U and a BOSS FS-7).
I have assigned other Layouts and other Switches with the same results.
Any ideas?
For starters, get rid of the Virtual Toggle. Then make sure the polarity you’ve chosen matches the polarity switch on your FS-5U.

Last edited:
Man, thank you, i thought i had it all right. Now it is allright! I changed the Virtual Toggle to Follow Hardware. Big thank you!

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom