sss 150 bludo hi plains drifter

Tex Axe

Experienced
Someone mentioned wanting this as a new amp addition..
I owned one for the past 3 years or so while I did
I recorded it and took all the voltages and made notes on the hi and lo filter section.
using a meter of course..

I recorded this amp with a 57 and nd 468 and used ev 12l cab.

A hint : choose Cliff's ODS 100 select 6550 tubes Ev 12 l cab or something close OW and Med spring reverb.
I recorded the neck pup middle pup and bridge pup using atm 100 ibanez which has rails neck and middle and a paf in bridge...

I have not tone matched this yet im new to that but I did get recordings from each pickup selection including 2 & 4 of 5 way
and I did Dry, Verb, Fet, and Fet with Verb samples... getting 2 positions on the fet which I thought were the better sounds...

I have to tone match that still and Ive not done that before so bear with me please..
after recording I listened back through studio monitors and then started dialing in Cliffs ODS and found I got so close with 6550s medium spring reverb and Ev 12l speaker cab OW that I could barely tell the difference...

The ods is just a bit darker and less headroom

I am going to tone match soon but I thought id upgrade to 17 first then do the work...
If you use the ODS med spring verb and ev 12 cab say 4 12 then set bass to about 11 oclock mid 1 oclock and treb 1 oclock
you can get very close now...

I think the tone match will take me the rest of the way there..
Im not own hammer ahem but I did the best I could using a sm57 and nd 468 ev mic and I used 57 straight on edge of cone and 468 at angle and
am pleased with the results to me it sounds like the amp is still here on the recordings and its not distorted as I did that over and over and over.

I basically did bar chords from 12th too 1st fret then played a folk G chord let that ring and did this from each pickup neck middle bridge including 2 and 4 position to get the really glassy sounds..
So I feel I will get good tone matching again im not a pro at doing Ir's but I did my best...

since I upgraded to 17 everything changed so I gotta go back and tweak more but the ODS amps and verb and Fet settings I can get so close its
very hard to tell the difference and im sure if I record those and played them back side by side id be fooled on the blindfold test...

Obviously 100 and 150 watts are vastly different and 150 moves alot of air.. But the initial sound is there and in a mix id wager you cant tell the difference which is all that matters....

I also have a ODSR here which we took to the last degree using NOS glass and known D parts and that amp will be next on the block to tone match..
That covers the clones..

I have a real Dumble 50 here which I think is either a Dumbleman or an Ultra Phonic amp it sounds like Landau Lindley and early Billy Gibbons...
Will record that amp as well and tone match that... The cleans are just as stellar and the Lead side is quite chewy and raw.
it is a complete ground up build which Alex made for Jamie Kime of Dweezil Zappa's band and its very LOUD and STRONG.

I am new to tone matching / capturing so bear with me there...
I truly feel if Cliff added hi lo filters too the ODS that one could dial in the sss 150 even closer with the ODS he has now in the magic box.

anyway I see several mentioned wanting the SSS and I thought id try to bring something too the table this year and next...
Try those settings I mentioned using 17....

I just upgraded from 13.4 and they worked even in version 13.4 so try it out and see what you think..
when I get the tone match / capture thing down I will see if it gets even better...

In case anyone is wondering yes I measured every part and value and took the voltages as well...
Which is why I mention the hi lo filter thing..

I think the ods is so close now with those filters added it would be candy and nuts and a merry Christmas..
But for now the best I can do is say ho ho ho try those settings out and use your ears..

I recorded every filter and even with filters off and dry and with verb and Fet Dry 2 settings and Fet with verb
so I think that should cover that...

Good things are coming and I will have plenty of time with the ODSR and the Real enchilada to get more recordings ...
The ODSR is a hybrid of 183 and the purple suede ODSR with current verb.

Those amps are not going anywhere just yet..
8)

More to come then just 17s D amps im working on it..
Merry Christmas everyone..

Try those settings out and tube compliment and Ill get on the tone matching thing..
For those experts out there that already have that down im all ears so feel free to help me there I will take all the help I can get .

The result will be more amps ok ?
Peace

Back
Top Bottom