Specific preset popping/cracking on 7.18

Morogan

I've been using Ultra 7.18 since it came out as well as all the most recent Ultra banks. Can someone out there verify that Preset #321 "Stone in Love" causes mad popping/cracking regardless of input/output level controls? I've had my unit for a year-and-a-half and have never heard anything like this before. Everything else appears to sound normal. CPU is ~93-94% on that preset. I'm not seeing the clip indicator either...

I'm not overly concerned since, as I said, everything else sounds normal and I don't even use that preset. But I stopped on it today by accident and I had a real "oh CRAP!" moment when I thought something had malfunctioned.

Morogan said:
I've been using Ultra 7.18 since it came out as well as all the most recent Ultra banks. Can someone out there verify that Preset #321 "Stone in Love" causes mad popping/cracking regardless of input/output level controls? I've had my unit for a year-and-a-half and have never heard anything like this before. Everything else appears to sound normal. CPU is ~93-94% on that preset. I'm not seeing the clip indicator either...

I'm not overly concerned since, as I said, everything else sounds normal and I don't even use that preset. But I stopped on it today by accident and I had a real "oh CRAP!" moment when I thought something had malfunctioned.
I didn't bother loading up preset #321 on my Ultra before replying... I can tell you with assurance that *any* preset running at 94% on my Ultra will pop&crack like crazy. That preset quite simply uses too much CPU to be usable. Edit it to take out some blocks you don't need, or swap some blocks with lower-CPU equivalent blocks (i.e. replace a hi-res or stereo cab block with a lo-res mono one), etc., and it will become usable again. I'm 99% sure there's nothing wrong with your Ultra, it's just a preset that is no longer viable given the extra features (and the extra cpu needed) that have been implemented since that preset was initially created.

That's what I figured it was - I've never personally had the usage that high on a preset before (which is why I thought that CPU usage info was important enough to post). I discovered it right when I had to pack up for a trip and never got a chance to play with it to test knocking down the CPU usage. Many thanks for the quick response.

Headlines *Neal Schon's Tone-ToPowerful for The Uber-ULTRA???

When asked to comment the company responded that " While Mr. Schon's rig may have caused a speed bump for this version we are pleased to announce the throwing together of an algorithm to simulate his playing style. It is availible for immediate download, completely free and it will run on any version of our units with no noticeable impact on CPU resources."

I love Schon by the way so nobody get to bent outta shape. I've been trying to simulate his Testarossa for years with no success :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm glad to come across this post...I experienced the same thing on the first night I used it. Glad to know what the situation is.

Back
Top Bottom