Speaker res. freq.

Tubiflex

Inspired
I have experimented a lot with this parameter with both good and bad results.
Wouldnt it be possible to get a list of the speaker res freq of the cabinet simulators in the ultra ?
FAS must have measured them when they incorporated them in the ultra.
Then if I f.ex use a 4x25 I would know the optimal stetting of the speaker res value and dont need to tweek more with this and use my time concentrating on the other parameters.

This is ofcourse only for use with cab sims - I have optimated the values for my live cabinets.

Maybe this has already been taken up in another thread ?

If I'm right the speaker res freq will vary depending on your output transformer impedance, which implies that the frequency will be different for each amp type. I'm afraid it will remain a "trial and error" subject. Mr Cliff, Javajunkie or Jay described in some thread an easy method to determine the res frequency, but can't find it so fast and as I'm on a distant connection it will be difficult right now. Maybe start searching in Jay's posts.

Check Jay's or Cliff's posts, somewhere it's described how to get it done easily. The res freq will change depending on the amp and amp settings if I'm right so one cannot say there's only one set point for this value.
Rgds

Just found this useful information in Yek`s how to , where Cliff say :

One way to find the SRF is to put a Filter block after the amp block. Set the type to Peaking, Q to 5 or so and Gain to 10 dB. Start with a Freq. of 50 Hz. Play some chugga-chugga and slowly adjust the Freq. until you hear and feel the cabinet resonate. Make a note of the frequency. Remove the filter block and set the amp block SRF to match. 4x12s typically have an SRF of between 80 and 120. Open back cabs are typically a bit lower

i think that is for a physical cab.for the simulated cabs you can set it where ever you like.but if you can feel the cab sims resonate?;)

i think that is for a physical cab.for the simulated cabs you can set it where ever you like.but if you can feel the cab sims resonate?;)

Of course..but no, it's for your headphones..

I guess you must amplifie correctly, sure. Personnally I put this variable in the range from 95-115Hz and it seems to work; but I'f be unable to confirm that it's changing a lot when varying the frequence. It's a rather "subtle" parameter, not to say "subjective" and "personnal choice".

Get the Audio Kit app.
Connect your Ipad or Iphone or Itouch to the guitar in.
Sweep the frequencies of the app's tone generator between 70 and 120 Hz
And voila you have EXACTLTY found the resonance freq.

Closed-back egnater 2x12. It has a removable back, but I've never removed it. Use the Egnater in stereo. For bigger gigs (rare for me), use it on one channel and a Bogner OS212 for the other.
I've just started using the very same cab but with the back off and in mono all the time. I'll try eadgbe's suggestion and get back to you. Not that i really know what I'm doing! So eadgbe, I guess I need to do this for each amp sim I'm using or is it case of finding the 'sweet spot' for my cab and applying to all amp sims?

I've just started using the very same cab but with the back off and in mono all the time. I'll try eadgbe's suggestion and get back to you. Not that i really know what I'm doing! So eadgbe, I guess I need to do this for each amp sim I'm using or is it case of finding the 'sweet spot' for my cab and applying to all amp sims?

My experience is with guitar cabs only.
- make an empty grid patch in your AFX
- connect your pod pad or whatever in the front AFX input
- turn up the volume of your amp and pod starting with 120 hz in the signal generator
- work your way down to 50 Hz with steps of 1 Hz
- when your cabinet start to resonate the hardest (you can feel it) you have found the freq
- select this freq in your AFX as your cab res freq.
- for my cabs I just use this freq for all my patches but you are free to try this with every patch
- maybe this also works for the FRFR. Have no experience with that.

Have fun. Will be wikied I guess

Last edited:
Thanks so much eadgbe. Can't wait to try this! All I need now is an empty house/rehearsal room so I can crank it...

or could you use the synth block set to sine and manually adjust the freq. from 120hz down to 50hz to find the resonant freq.?

Back
Top Bottom