Speaker Idea-Is it Dumb?

CBoothe01

Hey Guys,
I just tried my Axe with an Atomic Passive Wedge, and for whatever reason really prefer the sound coming out of my 4 x 12. I know lots of people rave about the FR route, but I prefer the cab.

Having said that, I feel a little cheated about not being able to use the cab sims, so I'd like to give myself some speaker options.

Here's my idea. I have my Axe running output 1 into one side and output 2 running into the other side of the 4 x 12. It is currently loaded with V30s. To give myself some options, I'd like to load one side with greenbacks or G12H's. I figure I can use the output level controls to match volumes for all four speakers, or turn it all the way down and use each side as essentially a 2 x 12. I can also mix it up a little I guess for more variation.

Is this dumb? It seems like a good idea to me, but I admit I'm a noob at a lot of this stuff.

If it helps, I'll be running from the Axe through a QSC GX5 and I'm pretty much a bedroom player for fun.

So- will this work, or am I going to blow something up?

Thanks for your patience with this question- I'm a noob.

Assuming your power amp has 2 channels this sounds good to me. Not only will you be able to play around with different sounds through the different speakers you can also experiment with stereo and/or wet/dry settings. I want to do something similiar if I ever get an Axe-FX.

Cheers.

Not a dumb idea at all. If your going to play with speaker options you could even take it one step further and mod your 412 so you can make one half an open back, kind of how boogie did with there early 412's and the Road King cab.

Thanks for the replies- I'll look into a tweeter, but I'm not sure I know how to hook it up.

It seemed like a good idea, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to destroy anything! :oops:

It could be dumb if the cab is closed. An unconnected speaker can work as a membran .wich results in loss of bass.
Like a hole .

But if all speakers are connected and the power amp is turned on ,it might work to mute 2 speakers .
The poweramp might be able to "hold" the speakers .

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom