Speaker Cabinet Simulation

ddub96

I run my Axe FX through a power amp into a regular speaker cabinet (orange 4x12 slant w/V30s). The manual suggests turning speaker cabinet simulations off when using this set-up. I transitioned from a POD where that option is not available, so I initially ignored this suggestion, but recently thought I should do the "right thing" and see if there was a difference. It seems that most settings sound better with the cabinet simulation on, but I can hear some nuances in the sound than could be fixed. Obviously, I want to do what sounds best (regardless of the manual) but I do understand that the frequencies will be different with a regular cab than a full range setup. Which finally brings me to my question. If I run with the cab simulation on and insert an EQ, are there any "magic/go to" frequencies that I can tweak to compensate for the regular speaker vs full range speaker sound difference? Any help with my clear as mud question would be appreciated.

that's so hard to answer because different axe cabs will have different resonant frequencies to "eq out." maybe someone else knows.

are you keeping power amp sims on?

otherwise do what ever sounds best. you've shaped your tones with the cab sims on, simply turning them off will of course sound undesirable. you kinda have to start over with your EQ and settings with your rig once you turn off cab sims. but it should sound once you tweak with your ears and not your eyes.

i go direct and don't use a guitar cab, but many here do with great success.

Of course there's a difference, and if you want to do the "right thing" you should turn off the cab emulation when running through a real cab.

When you take off sunglasses after wearing them for a while the sun is too bright. I guess same here? You got used to that poddy sound and that is not as direct and not that bright and living and breathing as a regular amp. You could play a conventional tube amp for an hour and try again, I bet then you'd prefer the cab sim off.

It usually ends in disaster keeping cab simulation on feeding into a cab. I have heard it sound good on a few accidental occassions! Definitely dont do it though.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. Perhaps you've just gotten used to the sound, or have tweaked your sims to sound good that way. Try starting without it and working your presets up from scratch. It should the Orange that adds color to your sound!

If I run with the cab simulation on and insert an EQ, are there any "magic/go to" frequencies that I can tweak to compensate for the regular speaker vs full range speaker sound difference?

No, this is impossible.

If you make patches that use cab sims while playing through a real cab, this will induce vomiting when you plug into someone's PA.

I agree with OP .... I just bought a matrix 1600 and run through an Avatar 2x12 cab with EV12Ls ..... I prefer the sound with cab sims on . Before this I was using an RCF12nx and so far prefer the Matrix/ Avatar setup

POD before 2.0 you *could* just turn off cab modeling. 2.0 had a new set of features (4) that allowed for different plug-in situations: in front of amp; in effects loop of amp; to PA; I forget the last one. In the amp cases, you also turn off the cab modeling. So obviously you didn't read the manual. Anyways, what happens when using cab models with a cabinet is the treble gets *seriously* attentuated, the bass gets over-pronounced, and if you get used to that, your ears need some re-training.

Admittedly, the POD with cab modeling off sounded a little lacking into a cab - it didn't seem to 'push' like a head would, even when using the head to push the cab - but there was no in-between.

Last edited:
Today I hooked up my new Matrix gt1000 to the Axe 2 and my Mesa 2x12 cab w/V 30's. Like the manual said for this set up: Global button: power amp modeling = ON and cab modeling = Bypassed. This makes sense because cab simulation in a real cab does not.
For anyone else using a set up like this, what other Global>Config settings are you using, for example: reverb mix, spillover, amp gain & amp sort?? Anyone know what the spillover is anyway?

Today I hooked up my new Matrix gt1000 to the Axe 2 and my Mesa 2x12 cab w/V 30's. Like the manual said for this set up: Global button: power amp modeling = ON and cab modeling = Bypassed. This makes sense because cab simulation in a real cab does not.
For anyone else using a set up like this, what other Global>Config settings are you using, for example: reverb mix, spillover, amp gain & amp sort?? Anyone know what the spillover is anyway?

Delay repeats "spillover" when changing presets instead of getting cut off unnaturally.

Thanks all for the input, sorry I m a little late to express thanks. I reworked my presets, sounds great through the Orange. Still wanting to utilize cab sims and IRs, so the piggy bank is coming out to save for an FRFR setup, but things sound great for now.

Back
Top Bottom