Some questions before I order

Cacophony

I'm highly considering getting an Ultra but I have some set-up questions..

My current setup is pretty weird. My PODxt's 'Phones' output is connected with a headphones to RCA splitter. The RCA cables then go to my speakers.. so I'm not actually using an amp. Will this work with the Axe-Fx as well? Would I just plug the headphone 1/4" cable into the mono input? Sorry if that confused the hell out of you, lol.

Also, what is the cheapest option for an interface that is compatible with the Axe-Fx and how would I hook it up (XLR, Line-Ins?) Would I need to get any additional cables?

As you can see I'm not too experience with hooking gear up, my POD has spoiled me :D

i think i understand what you are saying... the headphone out is driving your speakers.. only way to accomplish this with the axe would be to get a small mixer or headphone amp and run the out of the axe to the mixer/amp and then to the speakers.

You would probably be better served by buying a small power amp of some sort, as the headphone amp is not made to drive real speakers (headphones are tiny speakers).

If you currently go straight from your POD to your speakers, then I assume they are active (powered) speakers, right?

If so, then you're all set. You would need two cables that have 1/4" phone jacks at one end and RCA jacks at the other end. You plug the two 1/4" jacks in the Axe-FX *output* in the back of the unit, and the other ends (with RCA plugs) into your speakers.

You would NOT connect any of that stuff into the Axe-FX *input*, as you wrote (perhaps just a typo?). The only thing that plugs into the Axe input is your guitar.

If my assumption above is wrong, you need to give us more details.

Daniel

No one is going to stop you from plugging it into a boombox aux in... However no one here will standby and admit it'll truly do the axe-fx any justice. If you're going to spend that much on a piece of gear spend a little more and get some prosumer near field monitors. Or a decent pair of headphones.

Sweetwater does a list of their best near field monitors for under 500..
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... monitor500

For everyone else on the forum, this is what he's talking about...
41QE60R3T4L._SS500_.jpg

You guys can laugh but my PODxt sounds really damn good through them. Hopefully it would be the same case for the Axe-Fx. I would eventually get a power amp and use it with my cab but I can't afford that right now.

I plan on mainly using it for recording anyway.

Cacophony said:
I think they're active.. (Panasonic SA-AK630)

And as far as the cable, I would need something like this correct? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/302376.html
That's a ghetto blaster then, correct? If so, you're not currently plugging into the speakers themselves, but rather into some sort of audio input (i.e. auxiliary in) on the ghetto blaster, correct? If so, it will work. Of course, it won't do justice to the Axe, like Firtspenguin said...

And the link you included for the cable is indeed exactly what you need.

Daniel

Cacophony said:
You guys can laugh but my PODxt sounds really damn good through them. Hopefully it would be the same case for the Axe-Fx. I would eventually get a power amp and use it with my cab but I can't afford that right now.

I plan on mainly using it for recording anyway.

No one here is laughing... Though the term ghetto blaster does tickle a few funny bones. To be honest I agree with your approach way more than I do with the people who order 2 grand more worth of gear before there axe-fx even arrives. Order it use your ghetto blaster to get a rough idea of what sounds you like and what its capable of then when you're a little more knowledgeable on the subject buy all the gadgets to match. This thing will blow your pod out of the water. Goodluck.

Dpoirier said:
Cacophony said:
I think they're active.. (Panasonic SA-AK630)

And as far as the cable, I would need something like this correct? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/302376.html
That's a ghetto blaster then, correct? If so, you're not currently plugging into the speakers themselves, but rather into some sort of audio input (i.e. auxiliary in) on the ghetto blaster, correct? If so, it will work. Of course, it won't do justice to the Axe, like Firtspenguin said...

And the link you included for the cable is indeed exactly what you need.

Daniel

Yep.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ok, one more question. When you hook it up to the interface where do the XLR cables go in the back of the Axe-FX? The XLR's under Output 1?

ok I just got it but it sounds like its only coming out the left speaker and when I play the input 1 lights on the axe-fx on light up for the left side.. I have everything hooked up right im pretty sure. any one have an idea whats wrong?

EDIT: Ok, i've fixed it.. but is it supposed to only show the left lights when I play?

also, how can I avoid clipping without turning down the output vol so much?

Back
Top Bottom