[solved] user cabs disappearing when changing computers

I have a bunch of user cabs I installed with the cab manager in fm-edit. But when I attach the fm3 to a different computer, all my cabs are gone. Presets that use them all say 'empty'.

I panicked, but when I hooked up to the original computer, they are all back where they belong.

Are they stored on the computer then? How do I get them into the FM3? If not, anybody know what's going on?

THANKS!!!

edit: seems like they are in the device. Anybody know why the other computer doesn't see them? Is there a process to update the editor on the cabs? Guess I'll go manual diving.

1. Did you look in the cab picker on the unit's front panel, or are you only using Edit to determine whether they're there? The modeler itself is the source of truth, not Edit. Said differently, the modeler is the boss of Edit, in spite of what it might seem at times.
  2. In Edit, do you have the preference set to rescan cabs and presets when it starts up? That's the purpose of that option.
    Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 12.30.00 PM.png
  3. If that isn't enabled, you can force Edit to rescan by going into the Preset or Cab Manager and clicking the little double-circle-arrow ("Refresh") button on the top right.
    Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 12.31.34 PM.png
I suspect one of those will be your golden ticket.

PS - About #2… Because we can have multiple computers running separate copies of Edit, it's entirely possible that we'll make changes to presets using either Edit app or the modeler itself. In addition, it's possible we'll make changes to Cabs/IRs with either version of Edit. In all situations, the Edit apps can be out of sync with the modeler and rescanning is required to resync the two.

I use a laptop when I travel to manage "things" on my modeler, and my desktop when I'm at home, and periodically I run everything from the laptop so it's up to date. And, that "refresh on startup" setting, though it causes me to wait a bit for Edit to start, keeps the apps in sync.

Guess I'll go manual diving.
That's always my first recourse. If it's not there, then I look in the Wiki
Refresh names
The Refresh button forces Manage Presets or Manage Cabs to fetch the names of all presets or user cabs from the guitar processor. This ensures that the data is synced.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've just been selecting cabs from the front panel --which works. I'll go change that setting pronto! Thanks!

Sometimes it's just hard to figure out what to search for...

Back
Top Bottom