So, will the GAS finally evaporate..?

UnsungHeroGuitars

Fractal Fanatic
Got the Ultra four years ago. An AxeII a few months ago. That's the gear for my tones sorted :encouragement:

Replaced the Mackie PA with a cracking QSC rig a couple years back - also sorted :encouragement:

Grabbed a JP6 last November and it's by miles the best guitar I've ever owned. Absolutely love it. Again, that's sorted :encouragement:

I've been pondering the merits of a digital desk for the last six months. I've toyed with the idea from all angles, but as cool as they can be, none of them quite matched my / our specific requirement... until the Allen & Heath Qu-16 came along and ticked every box and then some! An amazing desk and so pleased to have gone for it :encouragement:

With the Qu-16's ability to send separately mixed and processed in-ear mixes, my thoughts turned to the in-ears themselves. Was always perfectly happy with cheapy Sennheiser stuff, but reading people's thoughts on here certainly made me feel there is the chance that something already very good can sound even better. After all, despite wholly recognising that what the audience hears is the most important factor, we also do this for ourselves too, right..? Ordered up a pair of Aurisonic ASG-2 and can't wait to actually hear them (despite not being custom moulds, they're still taking quite a while to process the order) - definitely think that it's a worthy upgrade :encouragement:

Have also been toying with a new vocal mic. The old Beta58 has served me very well, but again, could there be better..? Have been tempted by a Sennheiser E945, but it never quite drew me in enough to make a purchase. Someone mentioned a Neumann 105 to me and when checking it out, it spoke to me instantly (if you'll pardon the pun). Now for all of us in the guitarists union, it may be a something of a shocking thing to say, but the lead vocal is the most important element in music of the type that we do, so with everything else sounding tip-top, this certainly warrants similar, if not more, attention. So in the same way that I enjoy the JP6 immensely as an instrument, I fully anticipate enjoying the actual art of singing with such a mic just as much. Can't wait for it to arrive! :encouragement:

So, is that it..? I'm all sorted in all departments now... or am I..?!?!?! The bank balance certainly hopes I am and I believe I'll be happy to rock out for the next few years fully enjoying what I have... but does this GAS thing ever truly disperse..? :?

(Oh, I may just have to add a nice mic stand into the mix too... ;))

Last edited:
I thought I would never get over mine. But, since my mfc purchase around 6 months ago. The only thing I have bought are strings.

Got the Ultra four years ago. An AxeII a few months ago. That's the gear for my tones sorted :encouragement:

Replaced the Mackie PA with a cracking QSC rig a couple years back - also sorted :encouragement:

Grabbed a JP6 last November and it's by miles the best guitar I've ever owned. Absolutely love it. Again, that's sorted :encouragement:

I've been pondering the merits of a digital desk for the last six months. I've toyed with the idea from all angles, but as cool as they can be, none of them quite matched my / our specific requirement... until the Allen & Heath Qu-16 cam along and ticked every box and then some! An amazing desk and so pleased to have gone for it :encouragement:

With the Qu-16's ability so send separately mixed and processed in-ear mixes, my thoughts turned to the in-ears themselves. Was always perfectly happy with cheapy Sennheiser stuff, but reading people's thoughts on here certainly made me feel there is the chance that something already very good can sound even better. After all, despite wholly recognising that what the audience hears is the most important factor, we also do this for ourselves too, right..? Ordered up a pair of Aurisonic ASG-2 and can't wait to actually hear them (despite not being custom moulds, they're still taking quite a while to process the order) - definitely think that it's a worthy upgrade :encouragement:

Have also been toying with a new vocal mic. The old Beta58 has served me very well, but again, could there be better..? Have been tempted by a Sennheiser E945, but it never quite drew me in enough to make a purchase. Someone mentioned a Neumann 105 to me and when checking it out, it spoke to me instantly (if you'll pardon the pun). Now for all of us in the guitarists union, it may be a something of a shocking thing to say, but the lead vocal is the most important element in music of the type that we do, so with everything else sounding tip-top, this certainly warrants similar, if not more attention. So in the same way that I enjoy the JP6 immensely as an instrument, I fully anticipate enjoying the actual art of singing with such a mic just as much. Can't wait for it to arrive! :encouragement:

So, is that it..? I'm all sorted in all departments now... or am I..?!?!?! The bank balance certainly hopes I am and I believe I'll be happy to rock out for the next few years fully enjoying what I have... but does this GAS thing ever truly disperse..? :?

(Oh, I may just have to add a nice mic stand into the mix too... ;))

Cables? Have you thought about cables? Is your guitar case black or tweed? Have you thought about tweed? I expect my GAS will end, but then I'll be dead.:)

Looks like you need some CLRs. :)
That's the one item I could see the OP jonesing for.

For me, while my AxeFx-based rig has has attenuated my GAS, deep down I'm a serious gearhead. Since becoming fractalized, I've gone from amp GAS to guitar GAS as my tastes have turned from PRS to EBMM to Parker. I'm not saying that you'll follow that path but I know first-hand that GAS doesn't necessarily have anything to do with need or your rig's capabilities.

but does this GAS thing ever truly disperse..? :?

Not even... It might slow down but there will always be something that you will want be it a new guitar or whatever, your a guitar player and it just comes with the territory. Sorry I'm a realist.

Eventually it will ease off, I suppose. About the only thing I'm eyeing now is a good jazz archtop. It'll be a while before I can justify a nice Gibson 175, but a Godin 5th Ave. Jazz may find its way into my collection within the next year.

After that I suppose I could max out the expression pedals that my MFC can take.

Of course I always want a new strat, even though I have two perfectly good ones.

The GAS will never end. But you're right about the vocals. If a song has vocals, they're the most important thing by default. And yes, it's hard to admit that being a guitar player. :)

I struggled to find that tone I heard in my head all these years. I found it in the Axe FX II, with ease.

I fucking love this thing!

The GAS will never evaporate for guitars, but for the other stuff, I am content now.

I thought I would never get over mine. But, since my mfc purchase around 6 months ago. The only thing I have bought are strings.

Good work :encouragement:

Are you going to post a piccy of your house crammed full of endless packs of every brand and string type under the sun..? ;)

For me, while my AxeFx-based rig has has attenuated my GAS, deep down I'm a serious gearhead. Since becoming fractalized, I've gone from amp GAS to guitar GAS as my tastes have turned from PRS to EBMM to Parker. I'm not saying that you'll follow that path but I know first-hand that GAS doesn't necessarily have anything to do with need or your rig's capabilities.

Good point that. I could certainly get all warm and fuzzy over a JP BFR, but I can't really justify it... and I 'think' that helps keep the GAS at bay...

Not even... It might slow down but there will always be something that you will want be it a new guitar or whatever, your a guitar player and it just comes with the territory. Sorry I'm a realist.

You're probably right Six... I feel very content with my guitar these days. It certainly wasn't the case in recent years though - had a Variax purely for its functionality, but became increasingly aware of a 'disconnection'... so hopefully, there's always some 'reasoning', rather than pure spontaneity... although the latter is great fun!

Eventually it will ease off, I suppose. About the only thing I'm eyeing now is a good jazz archtop. It'll be a while before I can justify a nice Gibson 175, but a Godin 5th Ave. Jazz may find its way into my collection within the next year.

After that I suppose I could max out the expression pedals that my MFC can take.

Of course I always want a new strat, even though I have two perfectly good ones.

Hee hee, now that's real guitar GAS for ya!

The GAS will never end. But you're right about the vocals. If a song has vocals, they're the most important thing by default. And yes, it's hard to admit that being a guitar player. :)

Yep, I read something the other day about vocals, bass & snare drums being the most important element in live sound... everything else is just padding :)

Whilst there is a lot of truth in that of course, there is still room for some cracking guitar tones in there too! There has to be!

I struggled to find that tone I heard in my head all these years. I found it in the Axe FX II, with ease.

I fucking love this thing!

The GAS will never evaporate for guitars, but for the other stuff, I am content now.

Lots of guys say the same - I feel that way too :encouragement: Mind you, I did also say that I was happy with the Ultra, but the II beckoned and winked at me...

No GAS.

I DO need to replace my Bridge pup on my Strat. After that, I think I'll be good.

For awhile...

Back
Top Bottom