So I tried making my first recording with the Axe...

grunge782

I'm not sure where to host a soundclip :oops:

However, you would probably be happy to not hear it lol.

To be fair, I am using a line 6 guitarport into Garageband haha.

Well I had to start somewhere.

However, it sounded pretty low quality to me, I'm not sure if it was the way I dialed in the Axe or if it was the program/guitarport that caused the main problem.

It is probably going to be a combination of both. However I want to know if anybody can point me in the right direction to record better.

Any good links that doesn't take a computer degree to understand? I would really like to hear some more casual discussion and explanations. I'm not that technically proficient so if it could be dumbed down a little for me to get into it then that would help.

grunge782 said:

However, it sounded pretty low quality to me, I'm not sure if it was the way I dialed in the Axe or if it was the program/guitarport that caused the main problem.

It is probably going to be a combination of both. However I want to know if anybody can point me in the right direction to record better.

Any good links that doesn't take a computer degree to understand? I would really like to hear some more casual discussion and explanations. I'm not that technically proficient so if it could be dumbed down a little for me to get into it then that would help.

I use a $90 M Audio Audiophile 2496 that's 6-8 years 0ld. The recorded guitar sound is great-solo or Rhythm w/o messing with anything but the volumes - Then I tweaked the settings after that :D
Low Quality does not exist in the Ae FX Standard or Ultra. Maybe a different interface is in order? You don't need real high end stuff to record a nice sound. Of course, it doesn't hurt. I am happy with the AP2496 and Sonar 852. The sound is definitely there, you'll get it...................

Stratman68 said:
grunge782 said:

I use a $90 M Audio Audiophile 2496 that's 6-8 years 0ld. The recorded guitar sound is great-solo or Rhythm w/o messing with anything but the volumes - Then I tweaked the settings after that :D
Low Quality does not exist in the Ae FX Standard or Ultra. Maybe a different interface is in order? You don't need real high end stuff to record a nice sound. Of course, it doesn't hurt. I am happy with the AP2496 and Sonar 852. The sound is definitely there, you'll get it...................

Oh I know for sure its not the Axe. I have heard so many amazing clips of it recorded just direct.

I'm thinking of getting a firewire interface.

I'm just trying to track down whether or not it is mostly me in the way I am tweaking the Axe for recording or if its my line 6 guitar port which is causing the problem.

grunge782 said:
I'm just trying to track down whether or not it is mostly me in the way I am tweaking the Axe for recording or if its my line 6 guitar port which is causing the problem.

While the convertors in the line6 stuff are obviously of lower quality than in the axe-fx I doubt that that is causing the problem. I think that recording a sound that sounds good is 90% the engineer and 10% the equipment.

Or in other words: with budget gear a skilled engineer can get a very good result. He can get an excellent result with expensive gear.

Marco Bakker

grunge782 said:

I have used some sort of Line 6 recording/modelling gear for 5 years now, and you can make it sound good. But, I also hardly use mine for PC recording anymore, so go figure. What I did do, however, and you may want to try this route, was get a Presonus Inspire firewire interface used for less than $50. Simple to use and records great. Sound quality is awesome.

MarcoB said:
grunge782 said:

While the convertors in the line6 stuff are obviously of lower quality than in the axe-fx I doubt that that is causing the problem. I think that recording a sound that sounds good is 90% the engineer and 10% the equipment.

Or in other words: with budget gear a skilled engineer can get a very good result. He can get an excellent result with expensive gear.

Marco Bakker

If you can make riffworks sound good with line 6 guitar port then I will believe you.

However, I doubt its that extreme. Still, I am to blame for a lot of it though.

I know I have to work on my recording, so do you know of any good places to start? Or some good programs?

I'm using a Mac Book pro.

Insidian said:
grunge782 said:

I have used some sort of Line 6 recording/modelling gear for 5 years now, and you can make it sound good. But, I also hardly use mine for PC recording anymore, so go figure. What I did do, however, and you may want to try this route, was get a Presonus Inspire firewire interface used for less than $50. Simple to use and records great. Sound quality is awesome.

I have never seen a Presonus Inspire used for under 50 bucks. If you find one please let me know haha. But yes, a friend of mine had that and it is an excellent piece of gear without having to lay down a huge amount of cash.

Hey Grunge
Using a Macbook Pro as well, Presonus Firebox for about $60 new, took a little tweaking to get it going but works great now. For $500, Logic Studio is a bargain, IMO, Garageband on steroids. Good luck.

Chief said:
Hey Grunge
Using a Macbook Pro as well, Presonus Firebox for about $60 new, took a little tweaking to get it going but works great now. For $500, Logic Studio is a bargain, IMO, Garageband on steroids. Good luck.

Alright thanks man!

I know logic studio is really good, its just a lot of money you know :cry:

From my experiance it seems that what i like guitar sound wise never seems to translate to to what sounds right in a mix with other instruments. The trick seems to be finding the right spot for each instrument in the mix so the all can be heard. Generally the use of tweaking eq's, panning and multiband compressors just right are needed for basics. I personally would love to get a guitar sound i could be happy with playing, that would also work well in the mix. Im not really sure its possible, but ill keep trying.

torchlord said:
From my experiance it seems that what i like guitar sound wise never seems to translate to to what sounds right in a mix with other instruments. The trick seems to be finding the right spot for each instrument in the mix so the all can be heard. Generally the use of tweaking eq's, panning and multiband compressors just right are needed for basics. I personally would love to get a guitar sound i could be happy with playing, that would also work well in the mix. Im not really sure its possible, but ill keep trying.

I don't have multiband compressors... I have the standard :oops:

You think that could be the culprit?

As far as the multiband compressor goes. In the past ive found i really like it. I have a tendency to attempt to get a compression with it without it severly impacting my sound i already worked out. If you use it just right it can help. I know for sure it works really good for a over all mix that includes drums. Ive recently started using the simple multiband compressor in cubase sx3. Its helped me get my volume of each mix up. The multiband compressor in the axe is a little harder to use since it doesnt have a solo for each band, and instead has a mute for each band. I think it should have both.

Back
Top Bottom